PDA

View Full Version : The new year dream

ishmael
12-23-2009, 03:57 PM
Wondering just what to do with this. I'm in a different place than most because I don't have chillens.

Here it is: Sell this place, maybe fifty grand on a good day, buy a boat that is livable, and migrate. Don't care what material, though wood would be nice. I think at 53 I'm just capable of keeping this up and running, keeping a cat or dog reasonably happy.

So here is the question latent, what boat? My leanings are toward the Cape Dory middle range. I want a sailboat. I want a boat that will sit on a heavy mooring in a fairly exposed place.

Rich Jones
12-23-2009, 04:12 PM
Cape Dory's are great boats. I consider them the next best thing to a wood boat. They do have enough wood trim to keep you busy. I'd probably have a Cape Dory 25 right now if the wife would permit it. I don't know to what size they go before they go from the outboard in a well to inboard power. But that outboard in a well seems like a nice way to avoid the hassles of an inboard. The boat is good and stable. Full keel is good for cruising and increases interior space.

You retiring or is your occupation such that you can work on the go?

Henning 4148
12-23-2009, 04:28 PM
Golden Hind 31. Not sure if the record still stands, but at one time more Atlantic crossings than any other design. You can even build her yourself.

http://www.eventides.org.uk/goldpic.htm

John of Phoenix
12-23-2009, 04:29 PM
Go for it.

Memphis Mike
12-23-2009, 05:41 PM
Go for it.

Yeah, me too!

TimH
12-23-2009, 06:27 PM
Cape Dorys are expensive. Then again...what isnt.

You can get more for your money with an older Alberg. Also nice boats.

paladin
12-23-2009, 08:16 PM
A nice alberg 35 will go for about 25K....10 foot beam, small diesel.....then there's tying up to a pier....power..... heat....... with a small dink you can stock up on groceries....need somewhere to empty the black water tank....somewhere to get fuel for heat in the winter....
Money wise you're better off where you are.......I assume you have other siblings to will everything to.......

BrianW
12-23-2009, 08:21 PM
You need to hook up with 'bacon-boy' and figure this out.

Hwyl
12-23-2009, 08:26 PM
The Cape dory 36 and 40 are still available as Robinhoods. You could go and see Andy, down in Robinhood

http://www.robinhoodmarinecenter.com/images/36/36-cruising2.jpg

On the other end of the Spectrum, I could get you into an Irwin 32 for less that 8K

Glen Longino
12-23-2009, 08:28 PM
You need to hook up with 'bacon-boy' and figure this out.

Good lord, that sounds dangerous!
Oh, I get it, you just want to watch...:rolleyes:;)

botebum
12-23-2009, 08:53 PM
Quit dreamin' Jack. Just do it. You're going to look back someday and realize that it's too late and you're stuck in the Maine woods with no options.

Doug

LeeG
12-23-2009, 09:09 PM
why would you sit in an exposed place?

keep the house and take the Lugger out for an adventure.

TimH
12-24-2009, 03:07 AM
A nice alberg 35 will go for about 25K....10 foot beam, small diesel.....then there's tying up to a pier....power..... heat....... with a small dink you can stock up on groceries....need somewhere to empty the black water tank....somewhere to get fuel for heat in the winter....
Money wise you're better off where you are.......I assume you have other siblings to will everything to.......

he said he wanted to migrate south. No need for heat. The whole purpose is to go somewhere warm.

Its my new years dream too.

Nanoose
12-24-2009, 11:10 AM
Ayup...live on the hook up the Sea of Cortez....no need for heat, or marinas...

And a good hurricane hole up by Loreto http://www.loreto.com/

Peter Malcolm Jardine
12-24-2009, 12:04 PM
I've been on this forum for seven years. Jack has this kind of dream every year. He doesn't want an answer, he just wants to muse about it, while he sits in his trailer and drinks. Reality is tough, but I am not going to sugarcoat it.

Hwyl
12-24-2009, 12:26 PM
Maybe Tina called http://woodenboat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107362&highlight=tina

Chris Coose
12-24-2009, 05:39 PM
I've been on this forum for seven years. Jack has this kind of dream every year. He doesn't want an answer, he just wants to muse about it, while he sits in his trailer and drinks. Reality is tough, but I am not going to sugarcoat it.

Yep on that Pete but I would add that even though I've been a ragger all my life, I'd most certainly find me a sleek, single screw, diesel, wood, cabin cruiser if I were to live aboard.

My thoughts on that are staggered and halted by the current wife I got.
Otherwise, it would have been a dream made true a couple years ago.
The east coast of America begs for me to be travelin it like a migrant bird.

Roger Cumming
12-24-2009, 11:31 PM
I once met a guy who migrated between New England and Florida (forget where) in a fiberglass Stonehorse. I met him in Red Brook Harbor near the Cape Cod Canal, he had just arrived. He said Florida was impossibly hot during the summer on the boat so he had no choice but to head north. No doubt he said the reciprocal about cold Massachusetts in the winter. He had a dinghy and a folding bike and seemed very knowledgable about boats. He had the dark complexion of one who lives outside. No doubt he was a good seaman to voyage several thousand miles a year in that 23 footer. He also suffered from not having someone to talk to. I'd still be there on the float talking to him if I hadn't begged off. My companion wanted nothing to do with him but I was interested in imagining what his life was like living on the anchor, pedaling to the supermarket every day or two. Of course a different person could live a rich life as a rolling stone.

I think it could be a very lonely life to be traveling most of the time, which is what you do when you trade a house for a boat. And if you just tie up somewhere the boat soon goes to hell by not being sailed.

Chris Coose
12-26-2009, 02:03 PM
I think it could be a very lonely life to be traveling most of the time, which is what you do when you trade a house for a boat..

Which is why I'd have the luxury of some room on the cabin cruiser. The 23' sail boat is not a chick magnet. Do you think dock groupies like gloss black and varnish over wood, with contrasting but subtle colors on the deck cushions?

perldog007
12-26-2009, 02:20 PM
Me, I am ghetto capable and friendly. If not for the wife's job, I would sell this collection of lots in heartbeat, buy three shacks in Jacksonville with cash. Rent two of them, and build an ICW/Keys boat.... Eight more years, that's the dream. You can buy little cinder block huts for under ten grand that are rented out in Jacksonville currently. After the next round of foreclosures, maybe less.

Tom Montgomery
12-26-2009, 03:42 PM
I do not relate. I love being out on the water paddling, sailing and motorboating. But for recreation, not as a way of life. The entire concept of living aboard a small boat strikes me as a life of wandering, claustrophobia and loneliness.

But, hey, to each his own!

I no longer desire to be a transient in the world. I am content with a small house and garden, with pets, neighbors, friends and community.

bobbys
12-26-2009, 04:35 PM
Wondering just what to do with this. I'm in a different place than most because I don't have chillens.

Here it is: Sell this place, maybe fifty grand on a good day, buy a boat that is livable, and migrate. Don't care what material, though wood would be nice. I think at 53 I'm just capable of keeping this up and running, keeping a cat or dog reasonably happy.

So here is the question latent, what boat? My leanings are toward the Cape Dory middle range. I want a sailboat. I want a boat that will sit on a heavy mooring in a fairly exposed place..

Good for you!!.

I have never been south where its warm so i cant relate the living on a boat thing.

Plus i have to much junk i cant get rid of!

Glen Longino
12-26-2009, 05:40 PM
Three days with no further comments!
Has Jack already left?

LeeG
12-26-2009, 05:53 PM
he said it was a dream, not a plan.

JimD
12-26-2009, 05:57 PM
You don't suppose he woke up? Nah. Couldn't be.

TimH
01-01-2010, 01:53 AM
37' Whitby Alberg 37 Sloop

Year: 1967
Current Price: US$ 24,900
Located In Mattapoisett, MA
http://newimages.yachtworld.com/2/0/3/5/2/2035279_1.jpg

brand new listing