PDA

View Full Version : Most accidents happen in the home

John Smith
12-23-2009, 09:37 AM
My daugher got up during the night to hit the bathroom. She fell down the stairs. Got a few bruises, and apparently broke a toe.

She went to work, at our local hospital, and just called to tell us she's going to a foot doctor.

One would think that someone in the hospital could check out her toe.

rbgarr
12-23-2009, 09:54 AM
Hope she gets better soon.

I've had that fear of stepping on/into things and falling down stairs in the night lately. It's probably time to put LED nightlights in wall plugs everywhere.

katey
12-23-2009, 10:56 AM
I broke a toe once, getting up in the night. My foot was asleep and it caught on the carpet. Unless it's the big toe (needed for walking) the prevailing medical advice seems to be "tape it to the one next to it and call if anything interesting happens."

Kevin G
12-23-2009, 12:21 PM
Night Lights?

KG

rbgarr
12-23-2009, 01:25 PM
Night Lights?

KG

These things, except they turn themselves on at dusk, off at dawn. Makes it so I don't have to turn on room lights in the pitch dark. http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_005W614260110001P?mv=rr

Sort of like 'courtesy lights' in a boat's cockpit so you can see stuff on the deck. They've kept me from stepping on a sleeping cat, etc., ... especially now that my eyes are getting bad. :D

(http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_005W614260110001P?mv=rr)

botebum
12-23-2009, 01:34 PM
I'm glad she's not seriously hurt. Otherwise I'd feel bad about giggling;)

Doug

John Smith
12-23-2009, 10:53 PM
I'm glad she's not seriously hurt. Otherwise I'd feel bad about giggling;)

Doug
Sometimes accidents happen at work.

The camera man here was a friend of mine. Good thing he had a hard head

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOyjyDJj8pc

Mrleft8
12-23-2009, 11:14 PM
I broke a toe once, getting up in the night. My foot was asleep and it caught on the carpet. Unless it's the big toe (needed for walking) the prevailing medical advice seems to be "tape it to the one next to it and call if anything interesting happens."
The medi-drones gave me that advice...... The ol' "tape it to the next toe" advice......... It's never stopped hurting. I think most doctors are charlatans, and losers. If it's not gonna make ém a boat payment they don't want to talk to you.

S/V Laura Ellen
12-23-2009, 11:33 PM
The company I work for (petrochemical) track a great deal of safety information. One of the things this data showns is that there is significantly more loss time accidents away from work than there is at work. At work, we learn to manage the risk and drastically reduce the incidents, but at home all that seems to be forgotten.

BrianW
12-24-2009, 12:40 AM
Allan,

Wow, you sound just like where I work!

It took awhile, but I finally drank the safety kool-aid and now believe in it. Stuff happens, but the obvious hazards should be eliminated before they cost someone injury, their job, or their life.

Captain Blight
12-24-2009, 12:52 AM
I lost a job, once. due to a back injury incurred off the job. Still a little bitter about it.

John Smith
12-24-2009, 08:46 AM
The company I work for (petrochemical) track a great deal of safety information. One of the things this data showns is that there is significantly more loss time accidents away from work than there is at work. At work, we learn to manage the risk and drastically reduce the incidents, but at home all that seems to be forgotten.

We used to have a weekly safety talk. Many thought it was a dumb idea, but it covered a lot of areas in and out of work. They covered driving, including such things as being aware of who has the sun in their eyes, putting papers on the dash that reflect in the windshield, hurtin your visibility. Every year they had one on Christmas/holiday stuff, which included pointing out that many people get hurt every year trimming a tree that requires climbing on something to trim.

2MeterTroll
12-24-2009, 08:55 AM
um rather than take up the ol safety argument i am happy she was not hurt badly have a merry merry celebration day.

John Smith
12-24-2009, 09:08 AM
I lost a job, once. due to a back injury incurred off the job. Still a little bitter about it.
One of the more interesting things where I worked was how injuries were treated. If one got injured ON the job, management would find work for one to do. If one got injured OFF the job, they'd have nothing one could do.

One of the things I got to do as Cheif Steward, was negotiate our Local Memorandum of Understanding, where the National Agreement allowed a list of things to be negotiated at the local level.

I remember sitting there, little Ole me on one side of the table, and 12 management folks on the other side.

One of the items we got to negotiate locally was identifying light duty assignments. While everyone else thought in terms of particular jobs, I managed to get my office to go outside that thinking.

We ended up with language that had us take the individual, the nature of his injury (or problem) his knowledge, skills, etc. and see what we could find that he was able to do within his dimished capacity.

My argument was that you might have a window clerk who's on a medication, where it's not a real good idea he handles money, and for the duration of this medication (assuming it's short term) put another window clerk in his spot and let him do something else in accordance with his skills and abilities.

I got them to agree that everyone needs their paycheck and we always could use a pair of hands, if only to answer the phone and direct calls. Maybe someone isn't sick or injured, but has a personal problem that requires a change of schedule for a while. If we can, why not?

My Postmaster was prone to sending injured parties to the Post Office Doctor in Newark. Nice lady. I got to take one employee down and she said, "I'll fix Frye's wagon!" She gave the employee a note that said his injuries are real. He cannot stand for more than 2 hours, he cannot sit for more than 2 hours.....etc.

This resulted in the Postmaster asking me how he was supposed to honor this note and our agreement. I said, "bring Tafro (injured employee in." Employee came in and I asked him to tell us, based on his knowledge, the things he could do under his restrictions.

He was a qualified window clerk, and he could certainly be lunch relief. Then he went onto other areas where he had some expertise. When done, PM thought a minute, decided we need all those things done, so Tafro got to do them.

This developed into the best non job ever. Pretty much anywhere in the office a finger was needed for the dyke, he was available. PM loved this situation.

We had another employee who was having problems at home and just needed a two hour schedule change. Under our agreement he got it, took care of his problems, and was grateful with, rather than angry at, management.