PDA

View Full Version : Morse Dinghy

deegraham
11-01-2000, 11:13 PM
Found a beautiful dinghy in the Maritime Museum in Nova Scotia. It had D4 on the sail. 14' long 5'-7" beam 16" deep. I believe they called the construction clinker planking on steamed frames. They had no design at the museum. I wonder if anyone knows of this boat, maker, design so I can find plans to build my own. Thanks

Tim Meuter
11-05-2000, 04:51 PM
I'm not sure, but maybe you can take a look at www.b-jolle.org (http://www.b-jolle.org) --> also 14' -Dinghies, maybe they look similar?

reddog
11-24-2000, 04:29 AM
You might have some luck if you try Kevin Wamback at LaHave Marine Woodworking in Nova Scotia.Phone# (902) 688 2998.He had a Morse dinghy, that he had rebuilt,at The Mahone Bay Wooden Boat Festival and may be able to give you some leads for plans. I believe they were popular a number of years ago as trainers for the local yacht clubs. Someone at The Maritime Museum of The Atlantic in Halifax should be able to give you some help also.

robgeorge13
03-10-2011, 07:29 AM
Hi, I just joined this form as I also have a Morse Dinghy (D27). I have had it for about 10 years now and have sailed it for 5. Its been laid up for the last two years as it needs some TLC (new centerboard box, mast, boom, sail and rigging). I would have liked to restored it similar to the one in the museum (D4) but it was modified (fiberglassed) before I found it. If I can get it sea-worhty and sailing I'll be happy. The most I know about the Morse Dinghy is they were built in the late 1930's in Lunenburg and used to teach kids sailing in the Northwest Arm (Halifax) in the 40's and 50's. Of approximately the 77 that were built thare are only about 16 - 20 known to be left. I believe there are two in Hubbards NS but the rest I'm not sure about. It is very similar to the Mellonseed design if that helps.
If all goes well D27 will be in the water this June (2011).

Thorne
03-10-2011, 08:40 AM
Welcome to the Forum, and we look forward to seeing photos of your restoration and completed project.

Don Wilson
09-26-2012, 08:26 AM
Hi, I just joined this form as I also have a Morse Dinghy (D27). I have had it for about 10 years now and have sailed it for 5. Its been laid up for the last two years as it needs some TLC (new centerboard box, mast, boom, sail and rigging). I would have liked to restored it similar to the one in the museum (D4) but it was modified (fiberglassed) before I found it. If I can get it sea-worhty and sailing I'll be happy. The most I know about the Morse Dinghy is they were built in the late 1930's in Lunenburg and used to teach kids sailing in the Northwest Arm (Halifax) in the 40's and 50's. Of approximately the 77 that were built thare are only about 16 - 20 known to be left. I believe there are two in Hubbards NS but the rest I'm not sure about. It is very similar to the Mellonseed design if that helps.
If all goes well D27 will be in the water this June (2011).

Are you still working on the restoration of your Morse dinghy? If so I have a few bits of hardware that you might use.