PDA

View Full Version : Good Grief..Can't people read anymore..(rant)....

paladin
12-21-2009, 12:22 PM
Started cooking this morning...took out some items that I had ordered....the local grocery store packs and delivers for $5 if the order is $25 or over.....
My self rising flour is "All purpose" flour.....now I have to alter recipes for baking powder and salt.......and I'm outta baking powder.....
My Milnot condensed milk is Pet condensed milk......
My unsalted butter is salted butter......
and my sourdough is barely alive......the hired help asked me if I wanted her to feed the critter (the sourdough) and I said yes......she had seen me drop in a couple T flour and a T of water, but the water is from the bottle in the fridge, bottled water with no chlorine....and she used tap water......I may get it resurrected in 3-4 days....
lessee....what can I make with Philo dough, hunny, walnuts...sugar, cinnamon and allspice, substituting the salted butter for unsalted.....

katey
12-21-2009, 12:23 PM
Sounds like baklava to me!

ishmael
12-21-2009, 12:33 PM
You've got it lucky. This imp of a cat peeled the cover off my butter last night and ate it. A plastic dish with a good lid, so it must have taken some work. I figured it as yet another sign of the apocalypse.

botebum
12-21-2009, 12:39 PM
Sounds like baklava to me!My first thought as well!
Where we were working in MA, it seems all the pizza shops are run by Greeks. They all sold baklava. One in particular had the best baklava I've had since my high school girlfriend's mother made it. My two slices w/pepperoni and a piece of baklava for lunch came to a screeching(thudding?) halt on the 10th:(

Doug

paladin
12-21-2009, 01:56 PM
Dougie...pizza dunno go well through the mail...I ain't supposed to eat it no how.....Baklava is another story.....That's the first thing I learned while in Greece. A retired doctor wanted me to stay in Greece and form a company with him....his wife could really cook...and so could her mother...If I had stayed there I would weigh 400 pounds.

Canoeyawl
12-21-2009, 05:24 PM
You've got it lucky. This imp of a cat peeled the cover off my butter last night and ate it. A plastic dish with a good lid, so it must have taken some work. I figured it as yet another sign of the apocalypse.
Nope, no apocalypse, just another home remedy for hairballs.

mmd
12-21-2009, 05:41 PM
"Good Grief..Can't people read anymore..(rant).... "

Nope.

I hired me a plumber a few years ago to re-route pipes for my clothes washer. Made him a diagram of what I wanted, using proper plumber symbols (I are a draftsman at heart). I included a symbols key to explain all three symbols (ball valve, Bibb (hose) fitting, and flexible hose). I gave him written instructions. I drew on the wall where the pipe and fittings were to go. I met with him to go over the instructions so that he would understand. I gave him my phone number at work so he could call if he got confused.

He didn't call, hard-piped the both lines to globe faucets - which he nailed (with 3" plain steel nails, no less) through the arborite backsplash to the wall above the washer - in the wrong location and got angry at me when I mentioned that he didn't follow my instructions very well.

Nope, readin' is becoming a lost art, it seems...

2MeterTroll
12-21-2009, 06:58 PM
why read most of them the first job is mcdonalds and they use pictures instead of words and numbers.

Tom Galyen
12-21-2009, 07:34 PM
mmd,

It's not the reading it's the understanding, comprehension, and caring about doing a good job that is lacking. By doing it his way he could be done and on to another job.

stevebaby
12-21-2009, 08:45 PM
Cat-astrophe!

S/V Laura Ellen
12-21-2009, 08:52 PM
... Made him a diagram of what I wanted, using proper plumber symbols (I are a draftsman at heart). I included a symbols key to explain all three symbols (ball valve, Bibb (hose) fitting, and flexible hose). I gave him written instructions. I drew on the wall where the pipe and fittings were to go. I met with him to go over the instructions so that he would understand. I gave him my phone number at work so he could call if he got confused...

I can just imagine what the plimber was thinking during that exchange. "So this fancy assed, high falutin, noticle designer guy is tellen me how to do plumbing. Instruction?...INSTRUCTIONS!?...I don't need no stinkin instructions!":D:D:D

Harbormaster
12-21-2009, 09:13 PM
My girlfriend had to go to a doctor while she was on the road to get an antibiotic refilled for the tail end of a pneumonia she got the last time she was in the hospital. She has a bracelet that says no penicillin, she told the new doctor that she was allergic to penicillin, and her medical history says no penicillin. He told her that most folks just think that they are allergic, and she reminded him that she was in fact allergic. The hospital filled the prescription, she took it and 6 hours later went into anaphylactic shock, and had to go to the ICU. She's okay now - Sometimes it's not that they can't read, it's that they don't listen.

Mrleft8
12-21-2009, 09:41 PM
A what?

JBreeze
12-21-2009, 10:36 PM
Harbormaster:

What antibiotic did she receive that caused the anaphylaxsis?

I can't believe that the penicillin allergy was missed by all of them....did she get a cephalosprin (a different class of antibiotics, with about a 10% chance of setting off a reaction in patients known to be PCN allergic)?

If she doesn't know, then she should find out because doctors will sometimes take the risk of prescribing a cephalosporin to a penicilln allergic patient. She needs to know that she is allergic to penicillins AND cephalosporins if my hunch is correct.

JBreeze
12-21-2009, 10:42 PM
PS - an interesting story......guy (not allergic to penicillin) is in the hospital for surgery.....he gets discharged with a presciption for a penicillin-related antibiotic.

He's feeling frisky and misses his wife, who IS PCN allergic. Unfortunately, PCN is eliminated from the body in an unmetabolized form, in, ah, several types of body fluids.:eek:

bobbys
12-21-2009, 11:14 PM
My girlfriend had to go to a doctor while she was on the road to get an antibiotic refilled for the tail end of a pneumonia she got the last time she was in the hospital. She has a bracelet that says no penicillin, she told the new doctor that she was allergic to penicillin, and her medical history says no penicillin. He told her that most folks just think that they are allergic, and she reminded him that she was in fact allergic. The hospital filled the prescription, she took it and 6 hours later went into anaphylactic shock, and had to go to the ICU. She's okay now - Sometimes it's not that they can't read, it's that they don't listen..

Same thing happened to me i almost kicked the bucket, Now i repeat it over and over.

coelacanth2
12-21-2009, 11:51 PM
You have to tell the doc,"I broke out in hives, had a very itchy rash for several days." That will get their attention. Best to have a sticker on your driver's license also - first thing they look for, after an insurance card...:rolleyes:

paladin
12-22-2009, 03:26 AM
They told me the same thing, that I just had a "reaction" to Penicillin......
and they sorta were passing it over and were gonna give it to me anyway.....I told them my wife was a trial lawyer, and I needed to know how good their insurance was, cause when I died she would sue....it's just her nature.....and I said it with a straight face.......they remarked my charts....
I used the same stunt when they ran me in for surgery and the idiot surgeon showed up and sent the male nurse to give me a shot...I asked what it was and he just sorta tried to walk around it by telling me that it was just something to make me relax while they did the MRI.....and I asked if it was the iodine contrast stuff...and he said yes...and I asked if he had read my chart....no...the surgeon hadn't read the chart...the head nurse in the operating room hadn't read the charts.....so I asked how much money did the hospital have, 'cause my wife was going to sue when I died as she was money hungry and already had a 3.5 mil life insurance policy on me and I'm sure the company would pay then go after the idiots that killed my by malpractice......they canceled the procedure, and did it a couple weeks later in the hospital operating room.

coelacanth2
12-22-2009, 07:08 AM
It does remind one of that old story about the mule and the 2x4 - sometimes, you just have to get his attention...:D

PeterSibley
12-22-2009, 07:14 AM
It does remind one of that old story about the mule and the 2x4 - sometimes, you just have to get his attention...:D

I doesn't work .:(

mmd
12-22-2009, 08:09 AM
Tom, Allan: The plumber in question did not profit by his "doing it his way". Firstly, he had been reccommended to me by the manager of the plumbing supplies dept. of the most popular hardware store in my area; when I told the manager (a personal friend, btw) about my displeasure with the fellow, he was taken off the store's reference list. Secondly, when the plumber & I discussed his bill, I suggested to him that the re-do would be at his expense, including his paying for the carpenter (I sure as hell wasn't going to let him attempt the job!!) who would repair the damaged backsplash. He recognized the cost involved and offered to re-do the job as specified at no charge. He didn't send me a bill for any of his time on the job. Essentially, he did two days of work for free. I repaired the backsplash and didn't send him a bill.

If only he had paid attention to the instructions... <sigh>

John Smith
12-22-2009, 08:35 AM
Maybe they were filling you "prescription" with generics.