PDA

View Full Version : Nephews (4 and 7 yrs.) need gifts

bluedog225
12-20-2009, 10:03 PM
I'm looking for gifts for my nephews. I'd like to be the best uncle in the world (yes...uncle Tom)...for less than $100 each. A little young for a tap and dye set, a good pull saw, beer of the month club, a subscription to WBF.

Any ideas?

Pugwash
12-20-2009, 10:09 PM
http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107180

;)

Peter Malcolm Jardine
12-20-2009, 10:11 PM
Lego, meccano, some of the construction sets are awesome, and they can grow with them.

skuthorp
12-20-2009, 10:18 PM
A few big boxes for the 4 year old, (they come flat for easy handling and he can help tape them up). PMJ may have it for the 7 year old but he may expect something a bit more technological. Maybe a motor or two to go with Mecchano.

botebum
12-20-2009, 10:20 PM
Drum set for one and a horn for the other. Hey! You said you wanted to be the best uncle not brother(in-law);)

Doug

Salty Sailor
12-20-2009, 10:45 PM
For a 7 year old you can never go wrong with a decent kite. I got my 4 year old Nephew a parachute man. 6 inches tall figurine with a decent chute. That will wear him out running up and down the balcony steps.

htom
12-20-2009, 10:49 PM
Lego Mindstorm NXT for the older, if bright (that's for 8+, though.) Or some other constructing-things toys. Probably better not to get the same kind for both, because the elder will be very tempted to absorb the younger's parts into their projects.

bluedog225
12-20-2009, 11:11 PM
You guys have done this before....

Good ideas. Thanks all.

Doug-the horn may be part of the gift regardless of what else I get them. But the drum I got them a couple of years ago has disapeared.....

skuthorp
12-21-2009, 02:40 AM
But the drum I got them a couple of years ago has disapeared.....
Put a chip on the next one......................

huisjen
12-21-2009, 07:54 AM
Well, it's a place to look anyway...

http://www.thinkgeek.com/

Dan

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
12-21-2009, 08:52 AM
Capsela or K'NEX

You need about two kilos of K'nex.

David W Pratt
12-21-2009, 09:00 AM
Pocket knife for the older one, Hess car for younger. The car is $25 at Hess stations and makes at least 4 obnoxious noises. And has a second car inside.

botebum
12-21-2009, 09:17 AM
My first post wasn't very helpful was it?:rolleyes:
Can you get in any shop time before Friday? I'm going to try to push out one or two of these for the girls-
Captains and Mistresses(Connect Four)
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h92/botebum/Woodworks/CaptainsMistressConnectFour.jpg

Mountain Climb
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h92/botebum/Woodworks/MountainClimbGame.jpg

Table Skittles
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h92/botebum/Woodworks/TableSkittlesPlan1.gif

Shut the Box
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h92/botebum/Woodworks/shut-the-box-bookshelf.jpg

The directions for play for all can be Googled.

Doug

TomF
12-21-2009, 09:28 AM
For the older lad a few real hand tools ... and some face time with you teaching him how to use them. When one of my lads was about that age I found him a short Disston crosscut saw, a good 10 ounce cabinetmaker's hammer, an eggbeater drill, a couple of screwdrivers, a coping saw, and 4 clamps. And enough pine to use those tools to build a basic toolbox together. Should have given him a small plane too.

The younger lad ... I agree with the K'nex idea. We collected a lot of Lego, but K'nex would have been better ... especially as most of the Lego these days is sold in boxes to make specific things only.

brad9798
12-22-2009, 12:08 AM
Legos

RC car (the older child)

Scale train set for both

Slot car racing for both ...

I've kids of nearly the same age ... these are the toys they LOVE!!!

Robert L.
12-22-2009, 11:55 AM
Many good suggestions above. However being a really good uncle takes a bit more creativity and mischief. Get them a couple of nice things of course, but special Christmas stockings from uncle Tom should include.

Self-inflating whoopie-cushion (not the kind you have to blow up and not the remote controlled electronic ones)

hand buzzer

plastic doggie-doo

small plunger - soft rim is good. Little boys like to plung things, the floor, walls, their tummies and when they do get into a sword fight it hurts less to be hit by a rubber plunger than most things sold knowing that little boys are actually going to hit each other with them. (learned this one from a lady at the hardware store, she has a hard time keeping small sink type plungers in stock. The 'designer' ones come in different colors so they always know which is theirs.)

After raising two of my own who are now teenagers, and having the opportunity of talking with well over 100,000 children in the past few years this is my standard recommendation for inexpensive gifts that little boys will actually play with. Just be sure to react appropriately each and every time they pull a trick on their uncle, which Christmas day alone will probably be at least 20 or 30 times.

It has been at least six years now and my youngest, who is abut to turn thirteen, is sure to slip that whoopie-cushion (now mostly duct tape) into my chair when I get home Christmas morning.

ishmael
12-22-2009, 01:15 PM
I don't know what to recommend, but around that age a race car set given by my father's sister, Aunt Ruth, was a topper. What little boy doesn't want to be in control of his own race car?

botebum
12-22-2009, 02:30 PM
What little boy doesn't want to be in control of his own race car?I'm 46 and that's pretty much all I want;)

Doug

John Smith
12-22-2009, 02:42 PM
I'm looking for gifts for my nephews. I'd like to be the best uncle in the world (yes...uncle Tom)...for less than $100 each. A little young for a tap and dye set, a good pull saw, beer of the month club, a subscription to WBF.

Any ideas?
Go to Staples and get a roll of bubble wrap; the one with one inch bubbles. Lay a piece on the floor and they'll jump up and down popping the bubbles. It'll be the most fun they have.

TimmS
12-22-2009, 03:27 PM
plastic doggie-doo

A fun little project for anyone building a boat is to make your own. Leftover epoxy+ various colors of fine sawdust, place in a plastic bag with one corner cut...... squeeze onto waxed paper..:D...I want to make one and stick an old sneaker into the corner of. They make great gifts for anyone with a sense of humor. Someone on this forum once suggested casting a recess in the underside with a little pivoting door to hide a spare key....

sailboy3
12-22-2009, 04:01 PM
For the older lad a few real hand tools ... and some face time with you teaching him how to use them. When one of my lads was about that age I found him a short Disston crosscut saw, a good 10 ounce cabinetmaker's hammer, an eggbeater drill, a couple of screwdrivers, a coping saw, and 4 clamps. And enough pine to use those tools to build a basic toolbox together. Should have given him a small plane too.

I agree with Tom. For the 7 year old, a pocket knife, definitely. I would say Erector set instead of legos, especially if it's an older set.

bluedog225
12-23-2009, 10:27 AM
My first post wasn't very helpful was it?:rolleyes:
Can you get in any shop time before Friday? I'm going to try to push out one or two of these for the girls-
Captains and Mistresses(Connect Four)
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h92/botebum/Woodworks/CaptainsMistressConnectFour.jpg

Doug

I could have a couple of years shop time, and a large gun to my head, and still not be able to make that. Unless I get to buy a router....hmmm.....

Uncle Duke
12-23-2009, 10:38 AM
Ah - they need "The Dangerous Book For Boys" !

The Dangerous Book is a guide book for dads as well as their sons, as a reminder of lore and technique that have not yet been completely lost to the digital age. Recall the adventures of Scott of the Antarctic and the Battle of the Somme, relearn how to palm a coin, tan a skin, and, most charmingly, wrap a package in brown paper and string. The book's ambitions are both modest and winningly optimistic: you get the sense that by learning how to place a splint or write in invisible ink, a boy might be prepared for anything, even girls (which warrant a small but wise chapter of their own).

http://www.amazon.com/Dangerous-Book-Boys-Conn-Iggulden/dp/0061243582/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1261582630&sr=8-1

botebum
12-23-2009, 10:41 AM
I could have a couple of years shop time, and a large gun to my head, and still not be able to make that. Unless I get to buy a router....hmmm.....You can buy hardwood balls cheaply enough. the rest is basic box construction.

Doug

bluedog225
12-23-2009, 04:10 PM
You can buy hardwood balls cheaply enough. the rest is basic box construction.

Doug

shhhhh.....I'm trying to talk myself into buying a router....for the nephews....:D

bluedog225
12-16-2013, 10:50 PM
Need an update. Now they are 8 and 11. Time flies.

SMARTINSEN
12-16-2013, 10:56 PM
Books are always good, lots of sailing adventure stories. The eleven year old is ready for Jack Aubrey.:arg

=============

Wow there are a whole lot of folks on this thread no longer here for various reasons. Time flies, yes indeed.

David W Pratt
12-17-2013, 10:56 AM
Magnifying glasses, a good 10x loupe and a 4" for burning things.
Agree on Dangerous Book
Hatchet for older one
Plus ten on the tools and time

bluedog225
12-17-2013, 12:11 PM
Thanks. There are some good adventure books. I think the world has changed. If I gave them a knife or hatchet, the parents would use it on me. When I was 10, my dad showed me how to drive the Ford 8n and turned me loose while he took a "nap." Those were the days....Tools and time. One day. Probably too late. Shame.

Stiletto
12-17-2013, 05:05 PM
I remember years ago when I was young, visiting my sister who had kids of around those ages.
I didnt have much money and ended up buying them an ornithopter each. They only cost a few of bucks apiece.

The kids played with them endlessly, leaving much fancier presents aside for the duration of my time with them.

I wonder if they are still available. They were cheap but not nasty, surprisingly durable. Kids love them.

John Smith
12-17-2013, 06:02 PM
Speaking from experience, my grandsons have enjoyed rocket balloons, stomp rockets, fly shooters, and an assortment of puzzles; the kind where you take the ring off. None of these things are expensive, but the kids had a great deal of fun with them.

Waddie
12-17-2013, 06:20 PM
Buy them some Judo or Karate lessons. Most boys love that sort of stuff.

FWIW; most of the time kids play with the boxes the toys came in........ :)

regards,
Waddie