PDA

View Full Version : 2+ inches so far...

David Tabor (sailordave)
12-19-2009, 12:56 AM
And still coming down. Very little wind, fairly dry flakes and the heaviest yet to come. :cool:

Was out today getting last minute stuff for the family dinner tonight and couldn't believe all the people stocking up on stuff for the blizzard. Heard from the GF there wasn't a snow shovel to be found anywhere by one of her office mates. :rolleyes:

I REALLY do not grasp the concept of people who are unprepared for very basic life situations. If I'm snowed in for 2 or 3 days I'm good to go; DVDs and Books, plus some projects. Hell it might be a good thing to get snowed in! :D Even if the power goes out I've got a propane fireplace and that will keep the temp at least in the low 60's.

Phillip Allen
12-19-2009, 01:01 AM
I heard about your oncoming storm last evening...keep warm

LeeG
12-19-2009, 05:56 AM
looks like 8"

bob winter
12-19-2009, 06:21 AM
We are freezing our butts off in Ottawa but the upside is that the current high pressure area will keep the storm to our south. I truly amazes me how winter weather seems to come as a shock to so many every year.

Harbormaster
12-19-2009, 07:04 AM
I don't understand the fact that everyone goes out and buys snow shovels right before the storm. What do they do, throw them away in the summer and say, "thank goodness I'll never need this again?" Can't they reuse the same shovel year after year? Or is it a designer thing, the style of shovel changes so much from year to year. WTF?:rolleyes:

bob winter
12-19-2009, 07:24 AM
Maybe shovels are not built the way they used to be.

perldog007
12-19-2009, 07:37 AM
It gets pretty primitive for us if we lose electricity to the shanty for any length of time. Old trailers are not the best places to have wood stoves and fireplaces, we are on well water.

We have lost power several times in the six years we have been here, but never for more than a few hours - knock on wood.

My wife always thinks that my penchant for "preparedness" is stupid until something like this storm comes along. Now she is glad that I could keep us from freezing to death/starving if we lose power for a week or so.

We do have a ceramic gravity water purifier, and an acre of woods to make fires with. Snow shovel, a few days of food and bottled water? always! Never get below a half case of Toilet Paper if you don't want the ladies to panic.

Last night was our normal "day in the barrel" to go shopping. We almost skipped it but ended up going anyway. It was funny/sad/amusing/disgusting to see all the folks panic buying and the store employees setting up displays of snow shovels that weren't quite high enough quality to convince you they were mass produced in Beijing.

Here in Delaware not too many folks can drive in the snow and many think 4x4 is a magical amulet. The tow trucks are going to do a brisk business pulling shiny SUV's and trucks out of ditches for folks who discover that being able to go does not equal being able to stop.

My '87 Nissan sentra and my '68 beetle were two cars that I liked in the snow. But I have never been that good at driving in the snow, not too many from the mid-atlantic are. I am smart enough to stay home, and take my time If I absolutely have to go somewhere ( as in will lose a job, friend needs to go to surgery no ambulance coverage by insurance...)

We now have a smoke free household for a couple of months now. It was sad seeing the smokers who only bought one pack... From the looks of it this a.m. many of them are going to be trying to get to the store before the roads are cleared and Delaware doesn't get enough snow for most to be good at navigating in it.

Will be interesting to see how the snow affects the goings on for the Senate today. I believe from having lived there that D.C. is shut down right now. I wish one of my cousins from Chicago were handy to drive me around right now.

Places like the Marina in Leipsic have got to be stunning with this blanket of snow on them. Oh well, maybe I'll learn eventually. Until then I will continue to keep my incompetent snow driving butt off the road....

Time to put a turkey in the roasting pan and hope the electric stays on long enough to slow roast this sucker.. I am pretty comfortable cooking a chicken on a spit, never tried that with a turkey YET :D

ishmael
12-19-2009, 07:38 AM
I'm hoping the weather people are right that we're going to catch the edge and a dusting.

The furnace blower made a rather ominous croaking sound as it wound up this morning. Great stuff! Hovering around zero F. at night, and the furnace is complaining of overwork. I imagine my oil/furnace company is as busy as a goldfish in a trout pond, so I better give them a call today and get on their list.

perldog007
12-19-2009, 07:41 AM
Good luck with the heat! I just realized that this is a pretty good time to get snowed in. I just managed to snag a copy of "The Dory Book". Onward to the turkey roasting station....

clancy
12-19-2009, 08:20 AM
When I went to bed the forecast was 1"-3" I woke up and it has changed to 12"-16". :confused:

perldog007
12-19-2009, 08:42 AM
It will all be over in a few days.....

ishmael
12-19-2009, 09:10 AM
"When I went to bed the forecast was 1"-3" I woke up and it has changed to 12"-16"."

I'm not much of a meteorologist, but from what I can gather these winter fronts that charge up the East coast of the US change almost hour to hour. The weather people have their sophisticated computers, which help, but in the end they don't really know how things might turn differently.

Like I said, fingers are crossed here. I don't need a blizzard just now.

perldog007
12-19-2009, 09:44 AM
One of the amusing things about living all up in the hood, you find out what folks can accomplish when they are really driven too. The drug buyers are still getting around just fine. Without 4x4....

Concordia...41
12-19-2009, 09:49 AM
Yeah. I missed a delivery this weekend. Damn :D

Mrleft8
12-19-2009, 09:51 AM
Yeah. I missed a delivery this weekend. Damn :D

...But did you get your sparkling gold fritters?:D

Concordia...41
12-19-2009, 09:53 AM
...But did you get your sparkling gold fritters?:D

Not yet. And if it really is 1500 rounds, I'm thinking the UPS guy is not going to like me..... :(

Mrleft8
12-19-2009, 10:10 AM
It's not like the Haitian gangs down there don't have UPS deliver 1500 rounds a few times a year....:D ;)

perldog007
12-19-2009, 10:15 AM
This is really comical, my digital takes a moment to turn on, and only stays on for so long, but I'm trying to get a pic of one of these idiots rolling through our shanty town today....

David Tabor (sailordave)
12-19-2009, 12:39 PM
Cat took three steps outside this morning and said "Nuh-UH!"

And that was just on the sill!

We've got probably a foot+/- here and no sign of letting up. Neighbor has been out in his 4WD ATV plowing the road in front of the house. I'm not going anywhere. Don't have to be at work til tomorrow night. Got plenty of water, food and books. Gonna go out in a while and clear out around the truck, do the porch and walkway.

Snowstorm, SchmoeStorm. Whatever.

I've got an El Cheapo plastic snowshovel for the light stuff. For the heavy wet snow or icy stuff I've got two old fashioned Coal shovels my F-i-L gave me 20 some years ago. Much better for moving wet snow.

Paul Girouard
12-19-2009, 12:42 PM
Don't have to be at work til tomorrow night.

Airports closed anyway isn't it?

I'd guess they can get by with a smaller crew, but maybe you still need to "call traffic" passing over?

What do you do when your airport is plugged up with snow? As a AC.

Brian Palmer
12-19-2009, 12:57 PM
I put the cover on yesterday morning, just in time. So far we have about 6 inches.

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii18/blpalmer/miscellaneous/IMGP3717.jpg?t=1261245169

Brian

Bob Adams
12-19-2009, 01:23 PM
Just got back from my PetSmart Santa gig, at 10:00 when I got there, we had about 6 inches, now about 14 and it had just intensified. I've got to tell you, the Chevy Trailblazer I just bought the wife is the best snow chariot I've ever driven! Pity they don't make them anymore. (Hers was one of the last made before GM shut down the plant)

David Tabor (sailordave)
12-19-2009, 01:29 PM
Well, I just looked at the Metar sequences for Dulles and National. Reporting 11 and 12 inches on the ground respectively! Yowza!

I don't work at the tower; I am "en route" which means I talk to them in between airports and at some little podunk airports where there is no tower. Traffic will be slower b/c of the reduced flights but still somewhat busy.

perldog007
12-19-2009, 01:46 PM
The backyard boatyard

http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww264/perldog007/IMG_0670.jpg

If I point the camera out of the front door thusly, you can't even tell that I live all up in the hood.

http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww264/perldog007/IMG_0669.jpg

David Tabor (sailordave)
12-19-2009, 03:27 PM
14 FREAKING INCHES was the Least I measured! Saw 18 and 19 at some spots out in the yard. At least according to the VERY OLD Yardstick I still have.

Just spent an hour clearing the porch and digging a path for the left side wheels on my truck. Drove out to the road and backed in. I'm good to go for tomorrow! I'll go out in the AM and clear everything off again and there you go...:D

Lew Barrett
12-19-2009, 03:31 PM
Have fun, Dave. Being snowed in is one of life's great pleasures.....if as you said you are prepared for it!
For the unfortunate or unprepared.....a hell of boredom and deprivation.

Mrleft8
12-19-2009, 03:34 PM
Haven't seen the first flake (SNOW FLAKE) yet. So much for all the terror and horror that was cause for a call to close all unessential businesses at noon..... :rolleyes:

John Smith
12-19-2009, 03:40 PM
And still coming down. Very little wind, fairly dry flakes and the heaviest yet to come. :cool:

Was out today getting last minute stuff for the family dinner tonight and couldn't believe all the people stocking up on stuff for the blizzard. Heard from the GF there wasn't a snow shovel to be found anywhere by one of her office mates. :rolleyes:

I REALLY do not grasp the concept of people who are unprepared for very basic life situations. If I'm snowed in for 2 or 3 days I'm good to go; DVDs and Books, plus some projects. Hell it might be a good thing to get snowed in! :D Even if the power goes out I've got a propane fireplace and that will keep the temp at least in the low 60's.

Strange indeed.

My wife and I went shopping at the Bloomfield ShopRite one day when a blizzard was coming. Never saw a store so crowded. I went to the deli and got number 94. They were serving 56. All registers were open, and they had a line of carts that wound around one side of the store and two guys set up to call the next cart in line to available check out.

We didn't actually need anything, but it was quite entertaining in a bizarre way.

Funny thing: storm never did come.

John Smith
12-19-2009, 03:42 PM
Maybe shovels are not built the way they used to be.
Maybe the snow's not built the way it used to be.

This is the first snow of consequence we've had since I put my "Snowing Prohibited" sign up. Also the first one to come from the south. Must be red neck snow.

I can hear it telling me now I'll have to melt in out of it's cold, dead hand.

Mrleft8
12-19-2009, 03:42 PM
I already have the candles going so when the power goes off I'll be able to see where the candles are...

John Smith
12-19-2009, 03:44 PM
"When I went to bed the forecast was 1"-3" I woke up and it has changed to 12"-16"."

I'm not much of a meteorologist, but from what I can gather these winter fronts that charge up the East coast of the US change almost hour to hour. The weather people have their sophisticated computers, which help, but in the end they don't really know how things might turn differently.

Like I said, fingers are crossed here. I don't need a blizzard just now.
Change channels.

Mrleft8
12-19-2009, 03:45 PM
OMG! SMITH!!!!!! YER RIGHT!!!!! :eek: This is the south rising again to get us Yankees! Sneaky bastads to use SNOW in winter to do it!...... OMG We're all gonna DIE!!!!!!

Lew Barrett
12-19-2009, 03:46 PM
Critical snow day supplies:

chocolate
rum
comfort foods of your choice/ingredients of especially satisfying meal
books/magazines
wood for fireplace
power/heat

Optional: Good woodworking/modeling project

Absent any one of these the day can be considerably less amusing. With them
there's little I like better than a forced day off for snow.

Concordia...41
12-19-2009, 03:49 PM
Strange indeed.

My wife and I went shopping at the Bloomfield ShopRite one day when a blizzard was coming. Never saw a store so crowded. I went to the deli and got number 94. They were serving 56. All registers were open, and they had a line of carts that wound around one side of the store and two guys set up to call the next cart in line to available check out.

We didn't actually need anything, but it was quite entertaining in a bizarre way.

Funny thing: storm never did come.

Same thing here when they forecast a hurricane :rolleyes: Folks will come to blows over bottled water and flashlight batteries - yet leave the beer cooler untouched. Silly people and their silly priorities... ;)

Mrleft8
12-19-2009, 03:53 PM
Same thing here when they forecast a hurricane :rolleyes: Folks will come to blows over bottled water and flashlight batteries - yet leave the beer cooler untouched. Silly people and their silly priorities... ;)

I'm just guessing here, but....... Your first stop is the frozen pizza case, then the vitamin water cooler, then the..........What was it?...... "Stouffer's dinner supreme"? :p;)

Concordia...41
12-19-2009, 03:56 PM
I'm just guessing here, but....... Your first stop is the frozen pizza case, then the vitamin water cooler, then the..........What was it?...... "Stouffer's dinner supreme"? :p;)

You silly man, even I know the microwave won't work when the power is out.... :D

Mrleft8
12-19-2009, 04:00 PM
I bet sparkling gold fritters prolly won't taste good either.....

David Tabor (sailordave)
12-19-2009, 04:02 PM
Critical snow day supplies:

chocolate
rum
comfort foods of your choice/ingredients of especially satisfying meal
books/magazines
wood for fireplace
power/heat

Optional: Good woodworking/modeling project

Absent any one of these the day can be considerably less amusing. With them
there's little I like better than a forced day off for snow.

Um, don't know about YOU Lew, but I would like to have some "companionship". ;) Makes it a lot easier to bear not having some of those other items on your list.:D

Mrleft8
12-19-2009, 04:08 PM
Um, don't know about YOU Lew, but I would like to have some "companionship". ;) Makes it a lot easier to bear not having some of those other items on your list.:D

Yeah, but then you'd have to share those items on you list that you do have.....:eek:

perldog007
12-19-2009, 04:15 PM
Still coming down in earnest here, only seen one crack head cruising the loop in the last several hours..... You know it's bad when the "clients" stop driving by. We normally have traffic 24/7

Mrleft8
12-19-2009, 04:18 PM
Still coming down in earnest here, only seen one crack head cruising the loop in the last several hours..... You know it's bad when the "clients" stop driving by. We normally have traffic 24/7

Maybe Earnest is out of crack.....;)

Vince Brennan
12-19-2009, 04:27 PM
Donno what we've got here... haven't been out. Looks like 12-14" in back but front is windswept so it's hard to tell. Tomorrow AM is gonna be a LOT of fun!

They were predicting 12-18" last I heard (this morning) but I wouldn't be surprised to see 20+ at this rate.

Keep warm and amused, y'all!

LeeG
12-19-2009, 04:27 PM
ok, idiots out in full force,one guy driving his Subaru out of parking spot and getting high sided 5' out of the spot then leaving it there, another guy turns around in the middle of a WIDE two lane road with his AWD mini ute and plows right into a 3' snowbank and isn't going anywhere. One neighbor already broke the snow shovel I lent him.

perldog007
12-19-2009, 04:30 PM
Maybe Earnest is out of crack.....;)

Would that it were ( Kerryism ) ;)

Bob Adams
12-19-2009, 06:08 PM
Here comes the wind....blowing 20+ right now. Sideways snow. Adding the bourbon and rum to the nog, let it snow, let it snow, let it snow:D

Lew Barrett
12-19-2009, 06:48 PM

Sorry;I presumed that one, Dave:D Lindy isn't going anywhere with 20 inches of snow on the ground. It's just be her and me. But point well made and taken!

Got the card! Nice! Happy holidays my friend!

Paul Girouard
12-19-2009, 07:17 PM
Do the Redskins have a home game this weekend?

Philly, New England ??

Might make for some interesting games.

Bob Adams
12-19-2009, 07:43 PM
Do the Redskins have a home game this weekend?

Philly, New England ??

Might make for some interesting games.

I don't know about the 'Skins, but the Ravens play at home tomorrow. They delayed the start 3 hours to allow more time to clean out the stadium. One problem may be the Bears are still in Chicago. There is serious doubt that they can get to Baltimore in time.

perldog007
12-19-2009, 07:46 PM
Looks like well over 24 inches and still falling here. Sounds like bears forfeit there eh? I mean my cousins from Chi-town could drive in this stuff ;) :p :D

Paul Girouard
12-19-2009, 07:59 PM
Looks like the skins play at home vs. Gaints on Monday night the 21st.

New England (http://www.woodenboat.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=nwe) at Buffalo (http://www.woodenboat.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=buf)

Atlanta (http://www.woodenboat.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=atl) at NY Jets (http://www.woodenboat.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=nyj)

San Francisco (http://www.woodenboat.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=sfo) at Philadelphia (http://www.woodenboat.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=phi)

Chicago (http://www.woodenboat.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=chi) at Baltimore (http://www.woodenboat.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=bal)

Monday

NY Giants (http://www.woodenboat.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=nyg) at Washington (http://www.woodenboat.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=was)

David Tabor (sailordave)
12-19-2009, 08:03 PM
Yeah, but then you'd have to share those items on you list that you do have.....:eek:

Let's see.... Chocolate and Alcohol must be taken sparingly or she get's a headache. A REAL headache.

And I feel confident we would be able to keep ourselves otherwise occupied for a significant portion of the waking hours!

Alas, the Redhead is 5 miles away... But she's walking distance to the stores.

Paul Girouard
12-19-2009, 08:11 PM
Alas, the Redhead is 5 miles away... But she's walking distance to the stores.

And you told us you "where prepared" WTF happened Dave?? :D

David Tabor (sailordave)
12-19-2009, 08:25 PM
And you told us you "where prepared" WTF happened Dave?? :D

Unfortunately I had to let her drive home last night b/c she has a 17 y.o. son and a 100# Lab that need Mommy.

paladin
12-19-2009, 09:51 PM
2 inches...?ARE YOU OUTTA YURE RABID A$$ MIND? I can't even find my car...I know I left it outside last night.....SOMEWHERE.......I also know there used to be 5 steps from my porch down to the sidewalk.....but the white stuff is at the same level as my porch all the way to where the car used to be.

Mrleft8
12-19-2009, 09:56 PM
It's really bad here now...... I can't believe I have a connection.....We have over a quarter inch, and it's showing no signs of stopping..... (OK we hava almost a quarter inch..... But it seems like more.....) If I don't post a sunday brunch menu..... Send Chad and the salvation army.....

perldog007
12-19-2009, 10:39 PM
We have well over two feet. So far so good. We will be okay for at least a week or so regardless , but as long we have electric it's all good. Make no mistake this camp is shut down with this much snow.

I remember coming back from my Son's graduation at Paris Island in '04. There was a dusting and parts of N.C. got a dusting. I remember thinking how funny it was hearing the radio reports of closings and angst about kids "stranded" at school with the almost one inch of snow. I remember thinking people in Canada and Alaska must think it equally funny when a foot or two of snow shuts us down....

coelacanth2
12-19-2009, 11:28 PM
Dunno where you are perldog, I think we have about a foot here in Sussex - maybe a bit more. Went to movies in Lewes, 4wd there and back, except for a bit of drifting practice in the 'hood. Maybe a bit more? It had sorta stopped just as we were going in, really coming down hard 2.5 hrs. later, coming in from the

east, right off the Bay for Bay effect (which I understand is clobbering DC and Baltimore). Dad worked for a little electronics firm in the '60s and was in and out of Wash. often. He'd always jokingly stated that , if the Russians had ever REALLY wanted to invade, all they'd have to have done is wait for 4" of snow in DC. Whole city shuts down hard, they could have just rolled in and taken over...:D. Saw it myself during my tenure there.

perldog007
12-19-2009, 11:55 PM
Dunno where you are perldog, I think we have about a foot here in Sussex - maybe a bit more. Went to movies in Lewes, 4wd there and back, except for a bit of drifting practice in the 'hood. Maybe a bit more? It had sorta stopped just as we were going in, really coming down hard 2.5 hrs. later, coming in from the

east, right off the Bay for Bay effect (which I understand is clobbering DC and Baltimore). Dad worked for a little electronics firm in the '60s and was in and out of Wash. often. He'd always jokingly stated that , if the Russians had ever REALLY wanted to invade, all they'd have to have done is wait for 4" of snow in DC. Whole city shuts down hard, they could have just rolled in and taken over...:D. Saw it myself during my tenure there.

I'm in Woodside east. We are buried.

Nicholas Carey
12-20-2009, 12:23 AM
Y'all will be glad to hear that according to the Associated Press, you'ns is gettin' hit by a "Blizzard-like storm".

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5g-WqKbY64oAqC7RR_lsu1h9nMHFwD9CMPAQ03

"Blizzard-like"?

Just where did the writers grow up -- Greenland? Antarctica? :rolleyes:

Blizzard-like storm slams East, region snowed in
By SARAH KARUSH (AP) 2 hours ago

WASHINGTON A blizzard-like storm rocked the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast on Saturday, crippling travel across the region and leaving hundreds of thousands of customers without power.

Five deaths appeared to have been caused by the storm system, which stretched from the Carolinas north to New England and also spread into some Midwestern states. The 16 inches of snow that fell at Reagan National Airport outside Washington was the most ever recorded for a single December day, while about 16 inches had also fallen in Philadelphia.

Those who did venture out were treated to nearly desolate stores on what is usually one of the busiest shopping days of the year. There were virtually no lines to get a picture with a mall Santa on the last weekend before Christmas.

The National Guard used Humvees to rescue stranded motorists in Virginia and some 500 people had sought warmth and refuge in emergency shelters.

"The snow has not stopped falling, the storm isn't over, and folks should not think this is crying wolf," said Laura Southard, a spokeswoman for the Virginia Department of Emergency Management.

More than two feet of snow fell in some areas since Friday. Public transportation in the nation's capital nearly ground to a halt, but it wasn't enough to keep senators from staying in session to debate health care reform.

The slow-moving storm was headed to the Northeast, where forecasters said parts of Connecticut, Rhode Island and Massachusetts could see more than 16 inches by Sunday night. Forecasters expected the storm to drop as many as 10 inches on New York City.

Snowplows cleared the runway at Andrews Air Force Base in suburban Washington as President Barack Obama returned from climate talks in Copenhagen. The White House said Obama rode in a motorcade back to the White House, instead of taking his helicopter, because of the conditions.

The region was virtually a sea of white. The Smithsonian Institution closed its museums, and the National Mall, which normally would be swarming with tourists, instead was the scene of snowball fights and cross-country skiers.

For Chris and Kelly Fitzpatrick, who were visiting from Clearwater, Fla., the winter wonderland came at the perfect time.

"It's her fault that we're out so long. She wants to walk and walk and walk," said Chris Fitzpatrick, 38.

In western Virginia, officials said several hundred motorists became stranded and had to be rescued by four-wheel-drive vehicles.

"Some folks have decided to stay in vehicles, others have been taken to shelters," said Virginia Department of Emergency Management spokesman Bob Spieldenner. "We're definitely trying to keep people off the roads."

Virginia State Police spokeswoman Corinne Geller said traffic was moving, though slowly. There were reports of jackknifed tractor-trailers and some semis on their sides. Troopers had responded to more than 4,000 traffic crashes and disabled vehicles.

One person in Virginia was killed in a traffic accident caused by slick roads, and authorities said the weather may have contributed to another traffic death. A third death is believed to have been caused by exposure. In Ohio, two people were killed in accidents on snow-covered roads hit by the same storm system.

At Crump's Store at the intersection of two country roads outside Richmond, Va., owner Suzanne Rudd stood with a man dressed as Santa and waved to the few motorists who dared to hit the slick roads. Rudd said only a few children had come to visit with Santa.

"Normally we'd have a long line here but people are having a hard time getting out," Rudd said.

The same was true at the Cherry Hill Mall in New Jersey, which would typically be a place where down-to-the-wire Christmas shoppers would create a mob scene. Instead, parking spots were plentiful.

Inside, there was no line for a picture with Santa.

"It was fantastic," said Chris Bailey, who got pictures of his 4-year-old daughter Olivia.

Mayors in Washington and Philadelphia declared snow emergencies and forecasters said the conditions could worsen. Governors in Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky and Delaware declared states of emergency.

"It's going to be an all day thing. It's going to be on and off," said National Weather Service meteorologist Kevin Witt in Sterling, Va.

Most flights were canceled at Reagan National Airport and Dulles International Airport near Washington, Philadelphia International Airport and at Newark Liberty International Airport in New Jersey, creating a ripple effect of delays across the country. BWI Thurgood Marshall Airport near Baltimore also closed Saturday afternoon, and travelers who tried to reach their destinations by train also faced long delays and threats of cancellations.

"It's going to be very challenging for people who weren't able to get out today to rebook on flights this week," said Tara Hamilton, a spokeswoman for the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority.

Joy Rood, 20, played solitaire as she waited at Reagan for a flight to visit family in Los Angeles with her husband, who was asleep at a table outside an airport cafe.

"We had a canceled flight at Dulles at 6 yesterday because the plane had difficulties," she said. "So they cabbed us over here to uh, what airport am I at?"

Washington's Union Station was full of travelers, some of them sprawled on the floor. Other travelers were stuck on the tracks. A train with 255 passengers was stopped in northern Virginia for around six hours Saturday because of a frozen track switch, said Amtrak spokeswoman Vernae Graham. The train arrived at a station in Alexandria at 9:11 p.m.

Delays were also reported for trains between Washington and Boston. At Union Station, Imke and Mike Jandreau were hoping to get on a train to Boston after their flight to Maine was canceled.

"I was on hold for almost seven hours with the airline, so we gave up and came here," Imke Jandreau, 25, said.

Forecasters said the storm system was expected to generate winds up to 35 miles per hour, which could cause near-whiteout conditions.

At a Walmart in the Richmond, Va., area, Nnika White took advantage of the few shoppers, buying a drum set for her 2 1/2 year old son. White, dressed in a toboggan, scarf and flannel-like jacket, said she works long hours at the law firm she owns and doesn't get much time to shop.

"It's nice because no one's here. For shopping, it's great, but the roads are very, very bad," she said.

Snow, ice and freezing rain also hit western North Carolina on Friday, knocking out power to almost 60,000 customers around the Asheville area.

After a warm start to the ski season that delayed openings of many resorts, the storm arrived just in time for West Virginia, dumping more than 20 inches on some slopes, said Joe Stevens, a spokesman for the area's ski association.

"These are midseason conditions," he said. "The storm couldn't have come at a better time."

The storm came from the Gulf and drenched South Florida with rain starting late Thursday, leaving flooded homes and stranded drivers.

Associated Press writers Dena Potter in Chesterfield, Va.; Jacob Jordan in Atlanta; Geoff Mulvihill in Cherry Hill, N.J., and photographer Jacquelyn Martin in Arlington, Va.,contributed to this report.

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

ishmael
12-20-2009, 03:44 AM
Boy, it sounds pretty heavy in the Mid-Atlantic states. It sounds, um, almost like Bangor a lot of winters, but you fellows aren't used to it. One of the better things about living in Baltimore was the mild winters.

I don't want to hex it by talking about it too much, but nothing here yet, closing in on 4 AM.

Good luck ya'll.

perldog007
12-20-2009, 04:14 AM
Haven't seen snow like this since '93. We won't be going anywhere for a couple of days. May try to dig out some tomorrow, depends on weather report. Consider us very lucky to have power at this point. Hope our luck holds.

Ian McColgin
12-20-2009, 07:48 AM
We're socked in and still snowing hard. Looks to be a good 18" so far. I tried to webcam a little bit back but the view was too murky to tell how Marmalade is doing. This is supposed to keep on all day and taper off by sunset.

bob winter
12-20-2009, 08:19 AM
What's with "blizzard-like". It's either a blizzard, or is isn't. I have been in heavy snow storms and I have been in blizzards. Not hard to tell the difference. When one is driving on the main highway and can only figure out where the road is by the utility poles because 1) the road has totally disappeared and 2) you can't see more than 100' and 3) the snow is falling horizontally, I would say it is likely a blizzard.

LeeG
12-20-2009, 08:31 AM
pretty pretty pretty, last night one neighbor took 30 min to get his Mustang 8' back into his parking space. Maybe the guy with the Subaru is still high sided and kept the plow from going through.

Vince Brennan
12-20-2009, 08:48 AM
My neighbor, from Quebec, came out this AM and remarked, "Eigh! Looks like we got a dustin' last nite!"

He was promptly buried by six neighbors who are all out shoveling the street. (My street is far too small for a city plough to get up it.)

22.6" (in Philadelphia, size DOES matter!), worst December snow since... well, since they started keeping records, and biggest snow since 2003.

Opposite neighbours (pair of gay black kids... NOT too quick on mechanical things at all) managed to dig out their cars, then decided to see if the Dodge Stratus would go up the street in the snow... it took four of us pushing to get him to the dogleg left and then he blithley tried to bull thru the plough berm at the bottom of that road. He joins three others all spinnin' and grinnin'. THAT way out's blocked...

HUGE ploughberm at the OTHER end of the street, but I managed to whack thru it with the UTE in 4-W-low, so that way out's open, until some twerp with a Mini=Cooper decides to try to come up the street from that direction.

Gawd! I just LOVE watching the locals try to drive in this stuff!

Needless to say, there's not a quart of milk, dozen of eggs or loaf of bread to be found in any stores... You'd think this was gonna last until Spring, the way they hit the shelves yesterday!

perldog007
12-20-2009, 09:41 AM
Well Vince, here's what it looks like down the street ( below Dover, De. ). This is a pic of my Sonata in the foreground and in the background is my across the street neighbor's Civic.

http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww264/perldog007/IMG_0671.jpg

Being as snow stupid as we are, no plans on travel today. Historically it will be a few days before we get this street plowed or treated.

Edit- my cousins from Chi-town and those further North have to think this is incredibly funny, that we are paralyzed by this.....

Concordia...41
12-20-2009, 10:02 AM

Well that takes all the work out of building a snowman :D

huisjen
12-20-2009, 10:15 AM
16. Heavy overcast. A little breezy. No snow yet.

Dan

Mrleft8
12-20-2009, 10:25 AM

Well that takes all the work out of building a snowman :D

Looks just like your driveway when I was there Boss!

Concordia...41
12-20-2009, 11:08 AM
Looks just like your driveway when I was there Boss!

Well, since the great Christmas Snow Storm of 1989 produced snowdrifts several inches deep in some areas I kindof doubt that :p

Snow On The First Coast

Commentary By WJXT Chief Meteorologist George Winterling

POSTED: Thursday, December 4, 2003

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Snow events are extremely rare for northeast Florida, usually limited to a few flakes or flurries in the air when falling temperatures combine with precipitation-producing clouds.

On most occasions any chance of snow is eliminated as freezing temperatures are usually accompanied by clear skies and dry northerly winds.

About once or twice every decade, cloudy skies are accompanied by temperatures cold enough for a brief episode of snowflakes. Usually, the ground is so warm the snow melts on contact. Only such things as car tops and dry vegetation are cold enough for a fraction of an inch snow to collect.

On Jan. 17, 1977, Jacksonville received a inch snowfall, St. Augustine inch, and up to 2 inches fell in central Florida at Lakeland and Plant City. On March 2, 1980, inch of snow coated car tops and patio furniture in Jacksonville, followed by a similar occurrence six years later, on March 1, with a collection of inch, which melted in less than 30 minutes under bright morning sunshine.

Significant amounts of snow have been recorded only four times over the past two centuries. The earliest was on Jan. 11, 1800, when surveyors along the St. Marys river north of Jacksonville reported 5 inches covering the ground.

Ninety-nine years later, on Feb. 13, 1899, an overnight rain turned to sleet, then snow. Early risers found snow to a depth of 1.9 inches and the temperature a bone-chilling 10 degrees. The coldest temperature on record for Florida occurred that morning when the mercury dropped to -2 degrees at Tallahassee.

Fifty-nine years later, on the same date in 1958, an overnight rain turned to snow in Jacksonville. Grassy areas and car tops accumulated snow to a depth of 1 inches.
http://images.ibsys.com/2003/1204/2683431_200X150.jpg

But the most paralyzing event occurred two days before Christmas 1989 (pictured, above). A steady light rain and tumbling temperatures caused the rain to turn to freezing rain which made travel over bridges and overpasses impossible.

As the temperature fell to 26 degrees on Dec. 23, the rain turned to sleet, then to snow. The snow did not melt and winds caused snowdrifts several inches deep in some areas.

This was the first white Christmas in Jacksonville's history, the snow lasting in some areas for three or four days.

Emphasis added :p

S/V Laura Ellen
12-20-2009, 11:17 AM
You guys should move north where the weather is better.:D

No snow here.
http://aylard.ca/sites/default/files/imagecache/600/DSCF0001.JPG

Ian McColgin
12-20-2009, 12:13 PM
Got out by main force and despite a 90 turn at least a bit down hill. The snow's letting up now but continues to blow horizontally. Visited Marmalade, who looks very brave with her prayer flags streaming from the head stay. Went down to South Yarmouth to see how the shelter I made over HulaHula (my name for Elu II - Hawaiians will get it) held up in last night's blasts. Good there. I figure that when the wind drives the snow so hard that the ambulence's flashers did not become visible till it was 100' astern and vanished 100' ahead that counts as blizzardly enough for me.

Coming back in the drive I was an idiot. Instead of just following my tracks back and parking bow in this time, I tried cutting straight a ways, like always, to back in. Figured with momentum to poke a hole in the drift and then with gravity to slice my turn.

Stupid.

Got the center of the Explorer bridged and nicely compacted the snow as the tires settled in. Took me two hours of shoveling, mostly on my knees facing about east to get under Big Red, before I got out of that and parked as I should have from jump.

But -- Marmalade and HulaHula viewed, Gobe and CC Times bought from the only store open, plenty of coffee, and no heart attack yet so missions accomplished.

Jim Ledger
12-20-2009, 04:20 PM
Twenty four to thirty inches of dry powder here on Long Island.

I wuz going to work on the katboat today, but ended up spending the day shoveling instead.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m193/searover1916/DSCF7547.jpg

Russ Manheimer
12-20-2009, 06:04 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2642/4201584962_214c5fd134.jpg

About two feet here. The early snow was kind of damp with a foot of fluffy stuff on top. Managed to cross country ski this afternoon, first time in years.

Unable to check on Sjogin today as were are just dug out. One of the bigger ones!

Russ

Concordia...41
12-20-2009, 06:42 PM
2' just outside the carport (near camera), 14" in the middle of the driveway and 3+ feet at the street (thanks plow man!). Fortunately, just after I shoveled a path to get the dog to the street, my across the street neighbor(plastic Luhrs in his yard) came over with his big 2-stage blower, and cleared the driveway in about 15 minutes. He rarely gets to use this monster, so he was having a ball. He did about 8 driveways, and paths through yards for the mailman.:D

So all Luhrs owners are not created evil ;)

TimmS
12-20-2009, 07:01 PM
27" on the ground, ! just bulldozed the driveway, and now it is starting up again! I kinda like it!

perldog007
12-20-2009, 10:33 PM
Well I got the driveway shoveled out and the snow off the Wife's car. I am not planning on going anywhere for a few more days, no rush on my whip.

Crackheads still aren't coming around, tertiary streets are not yet plowed or salted. It's kind of funny watching heavy duty 4x4's and light truck 4x4's getting stuck on flat roads. We really don't know how to drive in snow here.

It would be as decent as a bug zapper, but I didn't pick up a six-pack. Only a few limes for the supply of mezcal. Think there's a bottle of Dos Gusanos in the collection for tomorrow. They'll be back by then......

Hwyl
12-20-2009, 10:35 PM
So all Luhrs owners are not created evil ;)

Nor even Luhrs employees

coelacanth2
12-20-2009, 10:42 PM
:mad::mad::mad: Spent a good chunk of today digging out with some assistance from the kid. First time he's used the loader to clear driveways, he did ok. Cleared 3 others in the 'hood besides our own, one across town for some folks who shouldn't shovel that weight, then up to the city to clear my office. :mad::mad::mad: Clown central did worse than their usual poor job - I depend upon on-street parking, I don't mind doing the 100 yds or so of sidewalk , doing some fine tuning on the curbs and i'll do my little 5 spot parking lot (thats why I've got the tractor/loader) but, c'mon guys, ONE crummy pickuptruck plow sized pass down a busy connector street? 4 to 6 feet of bermed up snow to even reach the curb. I usually clean up the whole street, just to be a good neighbor but my F250 got stuck on the 18"high icefloe at the bottom of the street, had to use the tractor to dig it out. 3 hours to get the parking lot and front walk done, nevermind the rest of the street, and the surrounding connector streets were packed glare ice. I've closed the shop tomorrow.

perldog007
12-21-2009, 01:35 AM
i hear you cousin. my wife is determined to go in to work tomorrow. trying to explain that she ain't no firefighter or navy seal isn't doing any good. reminding her that she has more time off than G-d won't work. pointing out that her little car has zero chance of getting down the street has proven ineffective.

her girlfriend with the SUV will by in the a.m.. i hope our emergency personnel are as motivated.

our streets have seen no plows, salt, nothing. the poor crackheads are going into their second day of withdrawal symptoms. Should get some good pics of at least one getting stuck tomorrow....

Bob Adams
12-21-2009, 06:13 PM
A different view:

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/wiredscience/2009/12/snowstorm_eastcoast-660x439.jpg