PDA

View Full Version : Iranian tanks in Iraq, who cares?

switters
12-18-2009, 02:14 PM
So the Iranians have taken over an Iraq oilfield (Fauqa), they may have already left, and the major news sources seem reluctant to carry this. Not even the Maliki wants to deal with this.

What's a few tanks over the fence between neighbors?

LeeG
12-18-2009, 02:23 PM
the location of the fence has been in dispute for decades although the action doesn't look good.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=agf4nF7wPGXc
The Maysan oil fields, also known as Missan, were among the development contracts offered to foreign oil companies in June, though no bids were received. Of the three fields in that region, Buzurgan, Abu Ghirab and Fauqi, production began in 1976 at the first two and was suspended in 1980 because of the Iran- Iraq war and didn’t restart until 1998, according to Iraq.

Iraq’s National Security Council will hold a meeting to discuss the situation, state-run television al-Iraqiya said. The government in Baghdad will issue a statement later today and has taken no military action because it will seek a diplomatic solution, it said.

John of Phoenix
12-18-2009, 02:25 PM
I said before the invasion in 2003 - If Bush invades Iraq the US must provide three things our armed forces are not prepared for - border security, a national police force, and replace the army he destroys.

I'm surprised the Iranians waited so long.

LeeG
12-18-2009, 02:27 PM
more c&p, hey, I bet this is less controversial than global warming!

NASIRIYAH, Iraq (AFP) – Iranian forces have taken control of a southern Iraqi oil well in a disputed section of the border on Friday, a US military spokesman told AFP. "There has been no violence related to this incident and we trust this will be resolved through peaceful diplomacy between the governments of Iraq and Iran," the spokesman told AFP at Contingency Operating Base Adder, just outside the southern Iraqi city of Nasiriyah. "The oil field is in disputed territory in between Iranian and Iraqi border forts," he said, adding that such incidents occur quite frequently.

The Iranian forces occupied Well 4 in the Fauqa Field, part of a cluster of fields Iraq unsuccessfully put up for auction to oil majors in June. The field has estimated reserves of 1.55 million barrels. Iran has prevented Iraqi oil officials from reaching the well, located east of the city of Amara, according to an oil industry source. The Iraqis have accused Iran of firing on their people, something Tehran has denied. There have been a number of meetings in recent years aimed at reaching agreement on border fields, so far without success

paladin
12-18-2009, 02:48 PM
so who cares...we buy from Iran...or we buy from Iraq......same price...

BA.Barcolounger
12-18-2009, 04:02 PM
so who cares...we buy from Iran...or we buy from Iraq......same price...

Iran sells oil in Euros, not in dollars.

paladin
12-18-2009, 04:12 PM
Not to us....we have a very long contract with them...so all the BS they blow, they still send the oil. and also from Libya.....didja know that.....?
The amount has stayed static although there was a clause for increasing the amount it had to be a mutual agreement....they didn't agree....one of the reasons for the raid on Libya was the threat of cutting off the oil that was agreed to.....

ishmael
12-19-2009, 09:58 AM
A weakened Iraq, which we've done in large part, is going to invite such incursions.

Whadya say fellow pilgrims? Let's ween ourselves off oil and the nutsy politics in the oil rich regions? It's not going away anytime soon, but it makes me nervous.

I depend on oil for my heat. My vehicle is dependent. How about we work hard on the alternatives? In the short term it's liable to stir the bees in the nest, but in the long term it holds promise.

I think one challenge is getting around the fear around nuclear. A couple of accidents, one serious, doesn't a failed technology make.