PDA

View Full Version : Cruising notes....

paladin
12-18-2009, 09:53 AM
Slowly digging through boxes when I feel like it....so maybe one box a day....and dozens of them from the move......
I found my log book from when Tana Mari was launched...and notes about everything.....
Some little things that you may or may not think about...and things that were true 20-25 years ago are still the same today.....
When you get ready for a cruise....there ain't no marine hardware stores at every stop. It is Really, Really expensive to ship stuff, seemingly light, small stuff from the states to anywhere in the world...
If you have an auxiliary engine, and the designer said that 35 hp is good for your 40 foot boat, go with 60. You won't use it often, but when you need it, it will be there. If you have a 20 gallon fuel tank, that is considered all you will need because you are sailing....put at least 3-4 times that aboard for fuel, more if you are charging batteries.
Buy all your charts before going...don't believe the weenie at the local shop that the charts are available in Tahiti or British Virgins...they lie.....
Engine driven compressors for refrigeration are the bee's knee's.....how many times are you gonna plug in to shore power once you start cruising....
Get an anchor windlass at least one size larger than recommended....and a power unit preferably...if one person is disabled and you are in a blow, who's got to pull up300 feet of line and 200 feet of 3/8ths BBB chain plus the hook......and think this seriously if you are a single hander......
Ventilation, ventilation, ventilation.....
I installed 4 of the large solar nicro ventilators on Tana Mari, all on exhaust, with each sitting over an internal dorade system, with a 3 1/2 inch flex hose running to the bilge...pulled air through the boat, to the bilge, then out....went aboard a couple of boats that had spent 3-4 months at sea on circumnavigations and couldn't breath.
Tools, at least one of everything....
Extra main and staysail......mine were made by Rolly Tasker....I had sails from a premier loft in the U.S. and after 6 months gave them away to get them off the boat....the idiots may have been good at racing sails but didn't know crap or didn't care about cruising sails..More later...

rbgarr
12-18-2009, 10:40 AM
I've got a question about that Nicro solar vent arrangement you mention: Do they exhaust effectively when under a boom tent, i.e., in the shade, or must they be exposed to direct sunlight to rotate (electrically)?

Dave Williams
12-18-2009, 08:23 PM
If we let this thread slip out of sight, we are fools.

More please Chuck and thanks.

Dave

RodSBT
12-18-2009, 08:51 PM
I would think a very basic publication of your notes Chuck would most likely sell like hot cakes. Just scanning your notes and redacting anything of a personal nature to protect privacy could be put into a notebook format for cruisers. Kind of a working mans "what worked, what didn't."

I have no plans of cruising and I'd even buy it just for a good reference and fun reading. I'm sure the lessons learned could be applied to many other areas in life besides the world of blue water.

OconeePirate
12-18-2009, 09:27 PM
I've been looking into these people, http://blurb.com , to have a portfolio/art book sort of thing made. Its amazing how easy it is to do a little vanity publishing done these days.

JimConlin
12-18-2009, 10:39 PM
I've got a question about that Nicro solar vent arrangement you mention: Do they exhaust effectively when under a boom tent, i.e., in the shade, or must they be exposed to direct sunlight to rotate (electrically)?
The Nicro vents on Damfino have batteries so they run more slowly for more hours.

TimH
12-18-2009, 11:19 PM
Most nicro vents have the solar panel on the top. He must have seperated them to integrate the dorade vent.

http://www.discountmarinesupplies.com/38882825.jpg

Just got back from West Marine. They had some nice 100w solar panels. Expensive though - $899

wizbang 13
12-19-2009, 04:48 AM
just bougt 4, 15 watt panels (chinese) from costso for $300

TimH
12-19-2009, 12:26 PM
Seems to me the problem on a cruising sailboat is finding the space to mount large solar panels. I wonder how the small wind generators compare. They take up less space.