PDA

View Full Version : Supermarket semi-rant

David W Pratt
12-17-2009, 01:02 PM
We have a pretty good supermarket in town (Dave's) and there are two things that intrigue me. First, the cars parked in the handicapped parking spaces are almost always on the yellow lines, often by feet. The cars parked in the regular spaces are almost never on, or straddling, the yellow markings.
Second, shoppers (almost always women) will stop their carts at a narrow spot, so no one can pass and let it sit there while they select their groceries.
Any ideas why? Do similar things happen at your supermarket?

BrianW
12-17-2009, 01:48 PM
We have white lines. ;)

My rant would include those self-checkout lanes. I hate those things.

elf
12-17-2009, 01:57 PM
Curious. The place I most see people parked in the handicapped spaces is at my local Post Office. There cars are parked correctly, but sloooooowly.

I suspect in Wickford your market has pretty narrow aisles, if you're talking about the one in town. Those aisles are hardly even wide enough for two carts to pass by each other! But when I encounter a cart in my way, I move it.

And the owner nearly always looks embarrased and apologizes for being so thoughtless and territorial.

seanz
12-17-2009, 02:02 PM
I park sideways in the handicapped space and then I jog down the aisle knocking random products into the trundler (Kiwi for cart) with my hook-hand.

Popeye
12-17-2009, 02:03 PM
i'm a supermarket junkie , there's a winn-dixie in kissimmee is pretty good if you haul in just around 8am when they first open up for the day, hardly a soul around and all stocked up and the staff aren't too cranky and they got a wicked beer aisle

i'd give it 4 skewered crawdads out of 5

elf
12-17-2009, 02:18 PM
My rant would include those self-checkout lanes. I hate those things.

Job eliminators. I won't use them. They put people out of work.

hokiefan
12-17-2009, 02:22 PM

Lot of things we use everyday have put people out of work. Where do you draw the line? BTW I don't do self checkout either.

Bobby

Kaa
12-17-2009, 02:28 PM

ROFL...

Let's take a look at other job eliminators. A horrible one is the habit to drive oneself. Why, getting rid of this habit could provide jobs for so many drivers!

Or take my photo camera -- clearly a job eliminator. When I click the shutter button I'm cheating some honest photographer out of a job.

And let's not even mention all these saws and planes and brushes... :D

Kaa

Popeye
12-17-2009, 02:35 PM

the guy who makes those things must have some nice job

seanz
12-17-2009, 02:39 PM
Lot of things we use everyday have put people out of work. Where do you draw the line? BTW I don't do self checkout either.

Bobby

I hate self check-out....it means we're only a step away from self stacking-of-the-shelves

Dave Thibodeau
12-17-2009, 02:43 PM
Well they do those things just to piss you off

seanz
12-17-2009, 02:49 PM
Nah......that's just the stuff they do to annoy you......P.O.d is when they reorganise the shelves at one of the two local supermarkets TWICE! in six months.
I now shop at the other local supermarket...........

Paul Pless
12-17-2009, 02:53 PM
there's a winn-dixie in kissimmeest cloud?

Popeye
12-17-2009, 02:54 PM
i just cruise around for nibblers and free samples , get a drink from the water fountain , use their washroom , and then head home without buying anything

Popeye
12-17-2009, 02:56 PM
st cloud?

nope

botebum
12-17-2009, 03:00 PM
I used the electric riding cart at Walmart today. I had my crutches in the basket, I really needed to use it, people didn't stare at me with that "what's a young guy like you need the electric cart for" look ... and I still felt embarrassed like I was doing something wrong by taking the cart when someone 'truly' handicapped should be using it. I don't understand people that use handicapped parking and the like when they have no need. My conscience would eat me up over it.

Doug

paladin
12-17-2009, 03:12 PM
I've stopped using the Safeway that I've used on and off for 20 years...a while back they got a new manager...she decided the aisles were too wide so she moved them closer to get an extra aisle in the store.......it is difficult for two people to pass, and if one parks and starts bending over looking for something, you're stuck for 10 minutes...then she had everything reshuffled....then again...and it seems like at least once a month moves things around...then...she just stops stocking some items...they are slow movers....and those are the items that I go for, so if they aren't there, why buy anything...just go to Giant or food lion....
Handicapped.....I've been parked waiting for someone to move...and have a lady to cut me off and pull in....not handicapped...but jump out and yell that she just had to get a few things......so I parked behind her...and went inside.....then it got interesting.....same lady about 3 weeks later...I called the local gestapo and told them there was an unauthorized car parked in handicapped parking...she got a $250 ticket.

hokiefan
12-17-2009, 03:13 PM
I used the electric riding cart at Walmart today. I had my crutches in the basket, I really needed to use it, people didn't stare at me with that "what's a young guy like you need the electric cart for" look ... and I still felt embarrassed like I was doing something wrong by taking the cart when someone 'truly' handicapped should be using it. I don't understand people that use handicapped parking and the like when they have no need. My conscience would eat me up over it.

Doug

I'm with you. I see people using them all the time that don't need to from outward appearances. I try not to judge though cause I seldom know the whole story. It does piss me off to see someone zoom into the handicapped parking spot, then run into the store. Makes me want to key the crap out of their (usually nice) vehicle. So far I've found restraint, but it would be satisfying on so many levels.

Cheers,

Bobby

mmd
12-17-2009, 03:27 PM
Oh, come now! Let's have a bash at the twits and twit-ettes who bring seventeen items to the "1- 10 Items" check-out lane, because "they are only small items".

And what about the trend to have everything "family size"? Sometimes I really do want to buy ketchup in less-than-gallon bottles...

John of Phoenix
12-17-2009, 03:53 PM
Let's take a look at other job eliminators. A horrible one is the habit to drive oneself. Why, getting rid of this habit could provide jobs for so many drivers!

Harry: Sophie, times are tough. If you'd learn to cook we could fire the chef.
Sophie: And if you'd learn to screw we could fire the chauffer.

Phillip Allen
12-17-2009, 05:20 PM
I actually understand this. Around here, the nitwits who paint the yellow lines for the handicapped spots usually put the diagonal lined space on the passenger's side, so the driver's side is right up against a curb. Great if the handicapped person is not the driver, but really, why not put one half-sized space on either side?

I'm more irritated with the down-sizing. Remember when a half gallon of ice cream was 64 fl. oz.? First they shrank to 56 fl. oz., now they're down to 48 fl. oz., and by the way, the price didn't change. :mad:

same thing for coffee

Harbormaster
12-17-2009, 06:29 PM
Sounds like you are manufacturing something to be peeved at when it's really no big deal. Okay, they can't keep the car between the lines, maybe they are being creative? or maybe they really are handicapped?

Lighten up, relax, oh, and big deal, someone brings a few too many things to the express checkout line, they aren't that fast in the first place. I make up for it by bringing too few things.

http://consumerist.com/2009/09/math-proves-it-grocery-store-express-lane-not-so-express.html

Michael Beckman
12-17-2009, 06:37 PM
I love self checkout. If I only have a few things its a lot faster, and I don't have to stand in line.

George Jung
12-17-2009, 06:56 PM
Perhaps those 'handicapped' parkers (the ones over the line) are the ones with a visual handicap. MD can be a real stinker.

There are exceptions, of course, but I've noticed I'm more likely to be run over by Iowegians, visiting Sioux Falls, than from SD drivers. They're busy looking at the corn.... not much of it, in town, but.... when crossing the driving lane, getting to the mall, ye best be spry.
If I cross paths with a woman shopper, invariably, they fully expect me to defer to their passage - both on foot, and while driving. And I do. If I encounter an A-hole driver, it's (almost) always a man; but the women do not defer. The shopping cart blocking the passage is another pet peeve - I especially enjoy when two meet, opposite directions, and just stop and chat. Venus, indeed.
My favorite - my dear SWMBO, bless her heart, invariably manages to stand in the one spot that blocks my light, if I happen to be reading. She says it's just coincidental, an 'accident' - but she once managed to accidentally stand in the one spot that would block two different light sources. I'm beginning to doubt her good intentions...
Luckily, she has mostly positive attributes (better than I can say for myself..)

JBreeze
12-17-2009, 07:41 PM
Some of the regular handicapped spaces are just regular sized spaces with a logo....this often presents a problem because some people with placards (like me) have to swing the car door out to full extension in order to crawl out of the car. So what happens? We park asymetrically in the space, with the passenger side almost on the line, and the drivers side about 1.5' away from the line, in order to open the door. It sucks if the car parked next to the passenger side of the handicapped space is almost touching the line,too, but that's what happens when the lot designers try to cram as many spaces as close together as possible. Must be worse for a handicapped person trying to unfold a wheelchair as well as crawling out of the vehicle.

Try the new Dave's store in Davisville instead of Wickford - plenty of parking.:D

Funny story....when my brother was in grad school, his part-time job was fueling diesel tractors for a food distribution company. He fueled about 25 tractor trailers each evening. One of the drivers gave him some lip about something that wasn't his fault. Each driver was assigned to a specific tractor, and the day shift had a staggered start, with that specific driver starting first.

To repay his kindness, he parked each of the tractors so tight to each other that the mirrors overlapped (and the doors couldn't be opened more than a couple of inches). He placed the 13th tractor, assigned to the obnoxious driver, in the middle of the grouping. The only way for the driver to start the day was to enter a tractor at the end of the row and crawl through the windows of the adjacent tractors to eventually get to the middle of the row. I heard about that stunt for many years:D

rbgarr
12-17-2009, 07:47 PM
Handicapped.....I've been parked waiting for someone to move...and have a lady to cut me off and pull in....not handicapped...but jump out and yell that she just had to get a few things.

There's a gas station in the town of Waldoboro that I've been stopping at for coffee lately. It has more parking than any station I've seen short of the ones on the NJ Turnpike.

This morning every single car and truck there was parked right in front of the building at yellow line curbs, blocking access to the gas pumps: "I'll only be a second!"

Right.... :rolleyes:

Chip-skiff
12-17-2009, 11:07 PM
Developing hazard: people talking on mobile phones while propelling full carts at high speed.

These days, I stop at the end of an aisle and look for idiot traffic. I've read that frequent cell-phone use might give you brain cancer, and am verging on the hope that it might be true.

Being menaced by someone shoving a cart with their elbows while texting is even worse.

brad9798
12-17-2009, 11:27 PM
JEEZ, Elf ...

Digital cameras have put more folks out of work than 'self-checkout' lines ...

And for someone that likes to nail folks on spelling ... you need to learn the difference between there and their ..

:rolleyes:

(sorry to be so rude ... just following suit!) ;)