PDA

View Full Version : can some of you old sailors (US navy) help me to remember

Phillip Allen
12-17-2009, 11:57 AM
I already tried googling..."Make and mend Thursday"?

rope-yarn day

and so on

?

Paul Scheuer
12-17-2009, 01:59 PM
Try Rope Yarn Sunday

Phillip Allen
12-17-2009, 02:50 PM
Thanks...I thought I did but that's what I get for thinking I guess
I wonder where I remember make and mend from?

Phillip Allen
12-17-2009, 03:35 PM
thanks Andrew...I believe I'll take a nap now...

Vince Brennan
12-17-2009, 07:37 PM
On the day the tailor boarded a sailing ship in port, the crew knocked off early, broke out rope yarn and mended clothes and hammocks. One afternoon per week at sea, usually a Wednesday, was reserved for mending. Since it was an afternoon for rest from the usual chores, much like Sunday, it was dubbed "rope yarn Sunday."

The Navy adhered to the custom up to the years immediately after World War II; men used Wednesday afternoon for personal errands like picking up their laundry and getting haircuts. Of course they paid back the time by working a half-day on Saturdays.

Today, uniforms require less attention so rope yarn Sunday has been turned to other purposes; mainly early liberty or a time for catching up on sleep. Some, however, still adhere to tradition and break out the ditty bag for an afternoon of uniform PMS [Preventative Maintenance Schedule].

From THIS (http://www.history.navy.mil/library/online/origin.htm) site.

Paul Girouard
12-17-2009, 08:32 PM
In VAQ-141 the Maintenance Master Chief called it Rope Yarn Wednesday , although he was as likely to call it that even if it was Tuesday or Thursday and we had the opportunity to skip out early, generally to go drink beer at the E-Club:D

Not many hammocks these days and in a aviation squadron we'd have the PR do any sewing we needed done.

Phillip Allen
12-17-2009, 08:47 PM
do you realize, Paul, just how short a trip back through time would find hammocks being used?

Paul Girouard
12-17-2009, 08:51 PM
do you realize, Paul, just how short a trip back through time would find hammocks being used?

Just a guess, but I'd go with early 60's. At least on new ships , some older models maybe had hammocks till the late 60's ?

J. Dillon
12-17-2009, 08:56 PM
We called it rope yarn Sunday but it could be any day of the week. It was up to the skipper.

We had pipe berths aboard the USS Coral Sea back in 48 to 52. They folded up or were "triced up". It gave a feeling of space to the living compartment which is absent in todays ships.

JD

Phillip Allen
12-17-2009, 09:29 PM
We called it rope yarn Sunday but it could be any day of the week. It was up to the skipper.

We had pipe berths aboard the USS Coral Sea back in 48 to 52. They folded up or were "triced up". It gave a feeling of space to the living compartment which is absent in todays ships.

JD

is that 1848-52? :)