PDA

View Full Version : Baby Tender II questions

mpmitche
12-15-2009, 10:46 PM
I've officially fallen behind on my baby tender project. My wife went into early labor and had the baby last Saturday and I haven't touched the project since. Trying to get back into it and have it mostly complete by Christmas.

My next question is about assembly of the stem, kelson, sternpost, and knees. Should I glue them together and then screw when the glue dries or do it all at once? Do the screws hold it together tight enough that it doesn't have to be clamed or get in the way of gluing well?

andrewdarius
12-16-2009, 04:15 PM
Hey, congratulations! A week early eh? If all are healthy, you missed a good number of days of fretting. My wife was a week late, so all sorts of frustrations with the process popped up...

Now to your question...For the most part, I predrilled for the screws before gluing, and the screws helped hold the parts together as the glue dried.

For an object this small, the pieces could warp under the weight of a dozen bar clamps, so the screws might be the better "clamps" for the glue-up.

Having a screw in place while gluing also ensures the pieces won't drift or slide while the glue is drying. Before epoxy hardens, it seems to have the quality of a lubricant which can make the pieces slide against one another as the clamps are drawn down. Your screws will keep everything aligned.

Tom Robb
12-17-2009, 10:23 AM
I'd hurry if I were you. The baby will outgrow the boat very quickly. Procrastinate enough and the kid will be playing with that toy boat.