PDA

View Full Version : A little pain question.

ian scott
12-15-2009, 07:49 AM
I have a fifteen year old injury. Quite severe at the time. Every now and then I get some recurring aches.

Here's the interesting part (for me at least)- when I am having an episode of pain if I take a deep inhalation, like before a yawn or similar, the injury site hurts a little more or tingles a bit.

Anybody else experience similar or know why it happens?

JimD
12-15-2009, 08:28 AM
Reminds me of the one about the blonde who said he hurts everywhere he touches himself with his index finger.

ian scott
12-15-2009, 08:33 AM
Yes. Sorry. The injury was a shattered wrist. A compound fracture with about 1/2" of the ulna left on the road.

When I experience this phenomenon there seems to be no relationship to movement in the arm.

ian scott
12-15-2009, 08:35 AM
Reminds me of the one about the blonde who said he hurts everywhere he touches himself with his index finger.

Tommy Cooper "Doctor it hurts when I lift my arm. Like this (T.C. lifts his arm above his head)"
Doctor "Well stop doing it."

Ian McColgin
12-15-2009, 08:46 AM
Yep. Both my mother and I have arthritus surrounding mended bones that can hurt after apparently unrelated stuff - a move or a breath or a foreboding of weather. Obviously there are directly related pains you expect from pushing the arthritic part, but there are other pains that seem to have a cause that seems non-obvious. I'm not sure they are causes or even, when carefully noted, good corrolates.

Mom had the misfortune to have some idiot use a flash at the National Horseshow in Madison Square Garden back about 50 years ago now. The horse was game but the flash upset his sense of just where the fence was and he was basicly landing on it. Mom went over and saved her neck by taking the fall mostly on her right wrist. The surgeons who put it back together said there were about 200 bone fragments to sort out.

Joining Mom in the candidate for arthritis race, I began breaking things at age 5 and falling off trees, horses and mountains have managed a couple of vertibrae, coller, three ribs, a leg and an ankle. Mom and I have had weather predicting contests.

At least I learned from her to reflect with satisfaction that each pain memorializes and interesting experience that we managed to live through.

Pain is a messenger and a reminder. Pain from old injuries is like a warrior's scars, a reminder of courage past and present.

Bill R
12-15-2009, 08:47 AM
it is also possible you have some scar tissue hitting/rubbing a nerve

David W Pratt
12-15-2009, 09:02 AM
could be a change in blood pressure. When you yawn pressure in your chest goes down and heart fills more than usual, thus the ensuing systole is bigger than usual and BP is transiently elevated. I've noticed the same phenomenon on sore elbow joints after unaccustomed labor such as splitting wood.

ishmael
12-15-2009, 12:11 PM
Hm. That sort of break, with the ulna breaking the skin. Serious matters.

The wrist is a complex construction. Break into it, disrupt it, and things are going to hurt, forever. They never are really right again. If it's working fairly well count your blessings.

ian scott
12-16-2009, 07:53 AM
A suggestion from one of my work colleagues is that the ulna nerve, which I damaged at the time, passes between the collar bone and the top rib. When I breath deeply I could be stretching that nerve as my chest expands and feeling the sensation at the site where the damage occurred.

http://www.eorthopod.com/images/ContentImages/hand/hand_guyon_canal/hand_guyon_canal_anat01.jpg

Sounds plausible to me. At least I now have a story I can use.

paladin
12-16-2009, 09:18 AM
I feel for you.....I also have the broken/fractured ribs, legs, wrists (both) and when the weather changes or I turn the wrong way or try to lift something, all hell breaks loose....my doc sez it's because the new bone around the old bone expands at a different rate than original bone and causes stress at the joint....I noticed a long hot shower relieves mine....glad I don't pay a water bill, but the heat is electric for the water.

htom
12-16-2009, 10:32 AM
My right index finger aches more in the cold now, and when low pressure passes by (that was the finger that tangled with the bench saw.) Some other injuries send twinges, too, that didn't used to. I'm told it's a sign of "surviving to be an elder".

paladin
12-16-2009, 12:30 PM
Old age is a bitch.....