PDA

View Full Version : Ish and everybody else...

Shang
12-14-2009, 10:10 PM
Ish,
Tonight there is a little puppy down at the Animal Shelter, she’s lonely and crowded in a cage with too many other abandoned pups.
She’s kind of cold since she doesn’t have the rest of her own litter to snuggle up with, and kind of hungry because the Shelter can’t afford enough food for everybody they have to take in.
She’s also worried because she heard the Director talking today, “We’d like to be a no-kill Shelter, but we just don’t have the budget to save them all…”, and she thinks that tomorrow or the next day they are going to haul her out and kill her.
Tonight she is dreaming that maybe before that happens a nice guy--maybe his name is Ish--will come tomorrow and say,
”I like dogs. I had a dog like that one once, maybe this puppy would like to go home with me…”
And she would find a wonderful home with a responsible, loving owner who would love her, protect her and take care of her for the rest of her life.
She would love him too, and they would be happy together.

capt jake
12-14-2009, 10:13 PM
Watched a Hallmark movie the other day, kinda like that. The lead character could fit that description perfectly! It was really good "A Dog Named Christmas". Good family movie!

Shang
12-14-2009, 10:22 PM
A good family movie perhaps, but the dogs in the Shelter are real. I got my dog on a Saturday evening, he would have been dead on Monday morning.

But equally to the point, Ish misses his dog. Ish needs someone to love and care for, and that puppy I described needs a person to scratch her ears and teach her right from wrong like good dogs need to know, and she needs to return the love.

capt jake
12-14-2009, 10:34 PM
Sorry if I appeared to steer this off track, that was not my intention. The premise of hat movie was too many dogs in the shelters all needing homes. Similar in that regard.

I have three rescues in my midst presently. I have to hold at that! Though....there are some other tempting ones out there! :)

Shang
12-14-2009, 11:00 PM
...I have three rescues in my midst presently. I have to hold at that! Though....there are some other tempting ones out there! :)

Good for you, capt jake!
I too have three: the dog and two cats.
The dog, a Collie/Shepard mix, came from the Shelter in Joplin.
The cats I've talked about before, Skip, who is missing one leg, and Brodie, who was named after Steve Brodie who is alleged to have survived a jump from the Brooklyn Bridge. Our Brodie was thrown from a moving car and hit the concrete bridge instead of going into the lake below.

hokiefan
12-14-2009, 11:21 PM
The answer is not getting rescue dogs adopted, although that is important. As a note our current beastie is a spaniel mix rescue dog. The answer is getting people to spay/neuter their pets. Especially hard in low income areas where people have other priorities for their money.

Bobby

Shang
12-14-2009, 11:30 PM
The answer is not getting rescue dogs adopted, although that is important. As a note our current beastie is a spaniel mix rescue dog. The answer is getting people to spay/neuter their pets. Especially hard in low income areas where people have other priorities for their money.

Bobby

Absolutely!
There are too many unwanted puppies and kittens born, and spay and neutering isn't cheap. My wife used to work for Animal Control in Arizona and was able to offer free, or at least reduced cost, services to animal owners. Sometimes they said yes, and sometimes no.
These days we see people selling puppies from the back of pickup trucks in the Walmart parking lot...what can we say to couples who have more children to feed than they have puppies to sell...?

capt jake
12-14-2009, 11:32 PM
One 14 year old act named Felix (his sister passed about 10 months ago).
One dog is a male Doxy, ****ztsu, Finnish Spitz mix (looks like a little Terrier).
One more is a male long haired Chi (he is really mellow and cool)
Final one id a female Doxy, Chi, Pom puppy and FULL OF IT!

....We discovered one thing recently...we need a King Sized bed now!.. :) :)

Added: Yes, they are all fixed (none of them were when we took them in).

Shang
12-14-2009, 11:38 PM
One 14 year old act named Felix (his sister passed about 10 months ago).
One dog is a male Doxy, ****ztsu, Finnish Spitz mix (looks like a little Terrier).
One more is a male long haired Chi (he is really mellow and cool)
Final one id a female Doxy, Chi, Pom puppy and FULL OF IT!

....We discovered one thing recently...we need a King Sized bed now!.. :) :)

Added: Yes, they are all fixed (none of them were when we took them in).

King Sized bed for sure!
I can remember our three German Shepard-mixes galloping up the stairs to see which of us could get to the bed room first!
Tonight will be a little easier since the dog prefers his bed with the back yard window view in case the 'possum returns. And the cats will sleep at the foot of the bed, dreaming of mice they have never caught.

ishmael
12-14-2009, 11:58 PM
Shang,

I'd love to take on a pup, but things feel a bit crowded at the moment. One orphaned animal, Catawumous, is enough.

Remembering how Sheba the dog arrived. A light fresh snow, and I was headed to breakfast out a Saturday morning just before Christmas. There, beside the truck, was a bundle of black wild. I took her in, and would again. Shadow, cat at the time, voted against it by peeing in the pantry, but they became good buds. By the time my appointment with a shelter rolled in Sheba and I had become friends.

Shang
12-15-2009, 12:15 AM
Ish,
We remember Sheba, and we know how much she meant to you. Many of us have experienced similar loss and we know how it hurt to lose her.
But there's a puppy out there who needs you.
Catawumous will understand.

Paul Pless
12-15-2009, 06:36 AM
One Rottweiler, One Collie, 2 Cats here in Hell.

About 10% of my kennel population down in Alabama are rescues... either animals that have have been abandoned there (people drive by in the middle of the night and throw their dog over my perimeter fence) or Rottweilers that have behavior issues that prevent the rescue organizations that house them from feeling comfortable with adopting them out to homes. Of all such Rottweilers we can typically rehab them in less than a year; and if we have no work for them we return them to the rescue organization rolls for adoption.

We give food, supplies, veterinary services, and money to a variety of of animal welfare organizations.

The Bigfella
12-15-2009, 06:47 AM
Lessee....

One Labrador (purebred, bought)
One Pekin Duck (gift from a client of my daughter's)
One Kookaburra (road kill that wasn't quite - can't fly)
Two Rainbow Lorikeets (one from the road, one from someone who didn't want it any more)
One Princess Parrot (bought - survivor of a pair)
One Diamond Dove (bought - survivor of a pair)
Two Cockatiels, (one given, the other its child)

Then there's the wild ones: a resident pair of Rainbow Lorikeets that nest in the back yard, a dozen or so regular Sulphur Crested Cockatoos (had 32 here once), the Crested Pigeons, the Peewees, the King Parrots, the Crimson Rosellas.....

.... and that makes up what we feed. Anything else has to feed itself.

bamamick
12-15-2009, 09:11 AM
I have spoken of my four dogs and eleven cats here many times. All were rescued except for a cat or two that wandered up and wanted to join the party, and all have been spayed or nuetered. Where I live the county and the vets will help you with this so that it costs the owner only $20 per animal. I am also proud that in my county we have reduced the number of animals put to sleep in shelters from 40% just a few years ago to less than 10% now, and I think that the majority of those animals are sick when they come to the shelters.

This has become my wife's 'cause', and her company donates quite a bit of money to these shelters.

She did tell me last night that when the two larger dogs are gone that we won't have any that big again (120 and 85 pounds), but then again, we never really planned on having any of these guys, so who knows?

Mickey Lake

capt jake
12-15-2009, 09:21 AM
we never really planned on having any of these guys, so who knows?

We never did either. 25 years since I last owned a dog! When the little girl (Kitty) passed, my wife wanted to go and 'look'. ;)

ishmael
12-15-2009, 09:25 AM
Golly Ian, start a zoo and be done with it. LOL.

Animals are wonderful. They remind us of our nature, where we live in it.

I was out and about this morning, and leading up to the door were cat prints. Not Catawumpous', because she was in when the snow fell. One of friends, coming to the door to ask, "Can Catawumpous come out and play?"

A project, that will likely never get realized, would be to put one of those critter cams on this darling and see where she goes and what she does. Thankfully, the bad actor who was an attacker has left. 'Wumpous comes in with a few scratches, but no deep bite wounds.

Popeye
12-15-2009, 09:34 AM
the cat got stuck outdoors last night , his pet door frozen shut , so he came to the back door and waited there in the snow , peering in through the glass quietly , nobody around to notice him

that's when the dog got up , went downstairs and then came back upstairs and got me out of bed at 3:00am and brought me downstairs to the back door

honestly

bamamick
12-15-2009, 10:28 AM
My Basset has been scared of the rain falling on our metal roof the last four nights or so, and has been pacing back and forth all night, keeping me awake. I will be glad when all of this rain stops.

Mickey Lake

ishmael
12-15-2009, 10:30 AM
The snow and ice were perfect for making prints this morning. Hum, beauty. You could see the imprint of the claw.

Mrleft8
12-15-2009, 10:51 AM
Prolly a Fishercat looking for take-out...