PDA

View Full Version : the local grocery has beef tenderloin for $2.00 a pound for several days now

Paul Pless
12-14-2009, 07:05 PM
Cheaper than ground beef....

I hate to freeze it, but I'm almost getting tired of steak for dinner every night.:eek::D

For a slight change of pace we'll be having beef stroganoff tonight. Life sucks eh?

paladin
12-14-2009, 07:13 PM
Mongolian Beef...
Beef Burgundy....
Beof au poivre...
Beef satay......

Cuyahoga Chuck
12-14-2009, 07:17 PM
Ask them if it came from China.

delecta
12-14-2009, 07:17 PM
You lie.....

How could it be possible?

But then again, Maine Lobster is 89 cents a pound here.....

And boy am I getting sick of it.

Pass the butter :D

Paul Pless
12-14-2009, 07:18 PM
Mongolian Beef...
Beef Burgundy....
Beof au poivre...
Beef satay......well there's tuesday - friday's menu :D

Paul Pless
12-14-2009, 07:19 PM

Pass the butter :Dyeah i could get sick of that too

Wild Dingo
12-14-2009, 07:29 PM
the local grocery has beef tenderloin for $2.00 a pound for several days now
:eek::eek::eek:

Geeez thats one thing I REALLY MISS about the states... I bought a bit of tenderloin yesty guess the price? nah you cant $27 a kilo!!! how that traslates into $ to kilo/pounds Ive no idea but by god what I do know is that for 2 peices of bloody steak payin $19 for them... Im eating friggin chicken or fish from here on!!! :mad:

Man the cost of food there is like fuel... CHEEP!!!! :rolleyes:

paladin
12-14-2009, 07:42 PM
That's more than I pay for Beefalo.....but I buy half a cow at a time......sorta.....I already have it, but gotta hire some one to skin it. Gonna start digging in as I finished the monster shrimp that I had, scallops, venison....have 3 turkeys left for critter food, a couple/three oven stuffers......gonna hafta get serious after the holidays.

paladin
12-14-2009, 08:01 PM
Paul.......take out a couple of steaks for your meal about an hour and a half before you want to cook them. mix up 4 T. garlic powder and 4 T. basil and 4 T. Rosemary together.....get a cup of kosher salt....
1 hour before cooking, rub both sides of the steak with at least 1 T. of the spice blend...both sides, both steaks. Then pack salt onto both sides...don't sprinkle it, pack it on......let sit....45 minutes to 1 hour.....

While that is happening, crush 2 cloves of garlic, add 1 tsp rosemary, and mix it into the softened butter. Spoon the butter onto some plastic wrap and roll it up about 3/8ths inch in diameter and place it in fridge.....

Wash off the steak, really good, pat dry....dry...dry....really dry.......now cook it the way you like, when you remove it from the heat, drop on a pat or so of the seasoned butter on the hot steak.....

Report back...how bad was it?

Canoez
12-14-2009, 09:30 PM
Cheaper than ground beef....

I hate to freeze it, but I'm almost getting tired of steak for dinner every night.:eek::D

For a slight change of pace we'll be having beef stroganoff tonight. Life sucks eh?

Dang. That's worth paying to put some on dry ice and having it shipped!

Mrleft8
12-14-2009, 09:34 PM
Is this Alabama beef, or Michigan beef? Either way it's still tenderloin..... The un educated beef eaters beef..... ;)

Canoez
12-14-2009, 09:51 PM
Is this Alabama beef, or Michigan beef? Either way it's still tenderloin..... The un educated beef eaters beef..... ;)

C'mon, man! Think of the Sloppy Joes with shredded tenderloin!

Mrleft8
12-14-2009, 09:54 PM
C'mon, man! Think of the Sloppy Joes with shredded tenderloin!

<Retch!!!!>:eek:

Canoez
12-14-2009, 10:03 PM
<Retch!!!!>:eek:

:D - knew that would get ya!

PatCox
12-14-2009, 11:24 PM
Is it Australian? Australian beef is sold a lot around here, at prices like that. Its gamy, and no fat in it, even a tenderloin is no bargain. I would rather search out a US, Choice grade chuck filet, than eat the australian filet.

Filet mignon, tenderloin, to me is not a great cut of meat, if its not the highest quality, it does not have enough fat, its so tender its downright mushy, and as I say, there is a lot of foreign beef now being sold in the US thats a completely different animal from US grain-fattened beef, its grass-fed, and thats fine, as long as you know you are getting something that will taste more like game than american beef, it has that slightly sour, gamy taste, and no fat. I'd rather stew some good US American chuck, with that great rich beefy flavor, than grill an australian tenderloin.

Mrleft8
12-14-2009, 11:28 PM
Chuck is the best steak..... Ya just gotta know how to cook it, and cut it. Tenderloin/fillet is like a tutu on a poodle.

purri
12-15-2009, 12:38 AM
Lean meat = less "issues". EOS

Nanoose
12-15-2009, 01:05 AM
:eek::eek::eek:

Geeez thats one thing I REALLY MISS about the states... I bought a bit of tenderloin yesty guess the price? nah you cant $27 a kilo!!! how that traslates into $ to kilo/pounds Ive no idea but by god what I do know is that for 2 peices of bloody steak payin $19 for them...

1 pound = 454 grams
2.2 pounds = 1 kilo

Paul's $2/lb. = $4.40 (USD)/kilo
;)

huisjen
12-15-2009, 08:15 AM

I bet the Lobstermen are sick of it. Feel free to pay more.

Dan

Popeye
12-15-2009, 08:21 AM
meat and vodka are good

not much else to it , 'cept maybe a little coarse salt and pepper

Mrleft8
12-15-2009, 09:38 AM
meat and vodka are good

not much else to it , 'cept maybe a little coarse salt and pepper

Tonic.... You forgot the tonic....

Popeye
12-15-2009, 09:44 AM
.... You forgot the tonic....

oh yeah , chilled and dash bitters , thanks

Canoez
12-15-2009, 10:56 AM
My personal favorite cuts are Flat Iron, NY Strip or Porterhouse. Sometimes flank steak. More flavor. I'll eat a filet, but usually find it needs some more flavor and the texture just isn't there....

Because we tend to like to eat on a budget, London Broil finds its way in there, too. :o

Canoez
12-15-2009, 11:44 AM
We're going to have beef Wellington for Christmas - local butcher reckons a whole filet of Scottish Aberdeen Angus will cost about 75.

:::Doing quick math:::

$122!!! :eek::eek::eek: