PDA

View Full Version : New, Improved Shingle Tear-off Technique

Nicholas Carey
12-14-2009, 03:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32PQQL-PZEg

I'm not sure I'd want somebody doing this to my house.

Paul Pless
12-14-2009, 04:02 PM
i'm gobsmacked

Nicholas Carey
12-14-2009, 04:19 PM
You gotta give the guy credit, though. He's really good with that machine.

switters
12-14-2009, 04:29 PM
whose house has he practiced on though?

I'll bet his roofing crew loves him.

Figment
12-14-2009, 04:36 PM
That's a cool boom unit, but I'd rather see a bucket attached to the basket of a manlift, so that the operator is right up there in the action.

Shang
12-14-2009, 04:58 PM
My grandfather, who grew up in Arkansas, would have pointed out that removal of the cedar shingle roofing shown in the video probably wouldn't have been necessary if the roof had been installed correctly in the first place. The cedar shingles in the video were layed over tar paper on a plywood roof--once wet they stayed wet and rotted.

'…Traditionally wood shingles and shakes were installed on spaced wood strips. This type of installation allows the wood to dry evenly after absorbing precipitation. The recent practice of installing wood roofs on solidwood sheathing or directly on roofing felt paper has significantly reduced thelife expectancy of this type of roof. Cupping and curling of the shingles is now a common condition and deterioration of the wood is occurring much earlier than older roof systems with adequate ventilation.'
http://www.oldhouseweb.com/how-to-advice/wood-roofs.shtml

From my window I can see the cedar shake roof I installed twenty years ago, still doing fine despite having been sideswiped by a tornado.

Ron Williamson
12-14-2009, 06:48 PM
I have a small zoom boom and use it for everything.
Peeling shingles really wouldn't be that difficult at idle, as long as you have a good sightline and enough reach.
R

Paul Pless
12-14-2009, 07:02 PM
I have a small zoom boom and use it for everything.
Peeling shingles really wouldn't be that difficult at idle, as long as you have a good sightline and enough reach.
RYou can't wait to give it a shot can you?:D

Brian Palmer
12-14-2009, 09:25 PM
That will only work well when they can get the truck in line so they can go straight up the roof. They are going to tear up the lawn moving that thing around so they can keep using it. Not really that bright.

Brian

willmarsh3
12-14-2009, 10:28 PM
That's like using a dang belt sander to remove the varnish from your fine furniture before refinishing. It'll work if you are very well practiced with the belt sander.

Ron Williamson
12-15-2009, 06:48 AM
I've backdragged mounds of sawdust and wood chips off the roof of the shop with the grapple bucket when an east wind and clogged dust collector trailer co-incided.

It worked pretty well except for the open grapple stabbing into the roof deck when the bucket was curled down too much.
R