PDA

View Full Version : Houston Mayor

Ian McColgin
12-13-2009, 01:39 PM
The openly lesbian Annise Parker was elected mayor of Houston yesterday. I noticed nothing about party so Iím guessing itís a non-partisan job. She and her opponent (a black man) both have good civic background, are both it appears progressive, and both managed to keep race and sexual orientation out of the race, despite the best efforts of some rather frothy would-be supporters. Of course Houston, with its majority for Obama in the last election, is famously more progressive than the rest of Texas and much of the nation.

Paul Pless
12-13-2009, 01:46 PM
I noticed nothing about party so Iím guessing itís a non-partisan job. Pretty big assumption of non-partisanship... she's a democrat.

botebum
12-13-2009, 02:10 PM
Look Scot! I passed another test!:D

Doug

Phillip Allen
12-13-2009, 02:10 PM
The openly lesbian Annise Parker was elected mayor of Houston yesterday. I noticed nothing about party so Iím guessing itís a non-partisan job. She and her opponent (a black man) both have good civic background, are both it appears progressive, and both managed to keep race and sexual orientation out of the race, despite the best efforts of some rather frothy would-be supporters. Of course Houston, with its majority for Obama in the last election, is famously more progressive than the rest of Texas and much of the nation.

interesting...Houston runs on oil

perldog007
12-13-2009, 02:23 PM
I am not sure what her being a lesbian has to do with anything. The news outlets seem to think it matters. I know some gay folks from Houston, they tell me there is a large gay community there, but I don't get the sense that being gay would get somebody elected. As an outsider looking in, I would have to say she won and being gay had nothing to do with it, as it should be.

Ian McColgin
12-13-2009, 02:47 PM
The office is legally non-partisan. Both Parker and her run-off opponent Locke are registered Democrats. Some outside of Houston and perhaps few inside of Houston foamy homophobes tried to make it an issue but Locke not only refused their support, he very publicly repudiated it.

It's not obvious to me from this remove who I'd have voted for if I lived there. Houston is blessed to have two such fine public servents.

JBreeze
12-13-2009, 03:16 PM
Good luck to her....her backround as former city controller might be useful, as some believe the city of Houston is bankrupt:

Houston, we have a problem. We are bankrupt.That is the finding of Bob Lemer, CPA, Retired Partner at Ernst & Young; Aubrey M. Farb, CPA, Retired Partner at Grant Thornton; and Tom Roberts, CPA, Retired Partner at Fitts Robert...

http://www.newscred.com/article/show/title/city-of-houston-is-bankrupt-so-are-california-oregon-and-pension-plans-in-general-4ae7728bb916f/2198462

Hope she is more successful than our local gay Mayor of Providence -Cicilline.

Elf should be along soon to help Ian with his writing and spelling:D

ishmael
12-13-2009, 03:17 PM
Hey baby, make it run.

I don't give a good whit what her sexual predilections are. Can she run things?

elf
12-13-2009, 03:34 PM
Elf should be along soon to help Ian with his writing and spelling:D

Am I missing something or is Pages' spellchecker now working for Ian?

ishmael
12-13-2009, 04:00 PM
I knew a woman once, an ex-lover and sometimes Lesbian, who I'd trust with running damn near anything. You got a government to run? I'd put her there well before I'd put myself.

I encouraged her to run for public office. No nonsense, no frill, what are we going to do with what is in front of us? How are we going to run this?

So, kudos to the newly elected woman, go at it.