PDA

View Full Version : Should children play with "war toys".

huisjen
12-13-2009, 10:26 AM
http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/images/4/2009/12/500x_jinsong01.jpg

And where's the trigger?

Dan

Phillip Allen
12-13-2009, 10:26 AM
red X

huisjen
12-13-2009, 10:28 AM
http://gizmodo.com/5424216/carriage-gallery/gallery/1

There then.

Dan

John Smith
12-13-2009, 10:30 AM
Have to tread carefully. If we blame toys/movies, etc for the actions of people, we'd have to blame John Wayne for WWII, even though the movies came after the war.

Phillip Allen
12-13-2009, 10:31 AM
looks like political posturing to me...surly not

huisjen
12-13-2009, 10:34 AM
Oh, c'mon guys! Have you looked at the pictures of the tactical assault stroller? Farce! This is supposed to be funny! :rolleyes:

The artist responsible built them in response to the line, "We're lucky babies are so helpless, because if they had any power at all they would destroy the world."

Dan

Mrleft8
12-13-2009, 11:04 AM
That's a personal protection stroller Dan..... Just in case someone breaks into the house bent on stealing the baby formula.... :D
(Have they divulged the formula for babies yet, or is it still a secret?)

Rigadog
12-13-2009, 11:23 AM
Children should only play with live ammo.

Nicholas Scheuer
12-13-2009, 11:31 AM
Seriously, theo only two types of guns commonly available to kids when it was my turn (before cheap plastic toys made in China) were western-style cap pistols and a Daisy BB Guns.

As a result, some of the woodworking skills I now posess are a result of having made my own "war weapons" out of wood. It was quite an arsenal, flimntlock rifle, cap & ball pistols, 5-cal water cooled machine gun, bolt-action infantry rifle, bazooka, the choise limited only by my immagination, which had few limits.

Moby Nick

botebum
12-13-2009, 11:35 AM
This is supposed to be funny! :rolleyes:Dan, I'm sorry but there is absolutely nothing funny about it. Were you aware that every year in the US, 41 babies are shot with unregistered strollers? Furthermore, with the expiration of the laws banning assault strollers and the lax attitude towards still existing laws on semi-automatic child mobility devices there's bound to be more violence on our playgrounds.
You can either get with the times or be left behind. I'm not very proud of you right now Dan:(

Doug

huisjen
12-13-2009, 11:41 AM
Gee Doug. I'm so sorry. I hadn't thought about it that way.

Should I delete the thread, or leave it up so my shame can be seen?

I hope the drugs continue to treat you well.

Dan

Cuyahoga Chuck
12-13-2009, 11:43 AM
It looks like a piece of special effects hardware from the current crop of sci-fi movies. Outrageous yes, humorous no.
Time to tighten up on your use of adjectives.

Phillip Allen
12-13-2009, 11:44 AM
Gee Doug. I'm so sorry. I hadn't thought about it that way.

Should I delete the thread, or leave it up so my shame can be seen?

I hope the drugs continue to treat you well.

Dan

the drugs seem to be working fine this morning :)

Tristan
12-13-2009, 06:01 PM
Our son, playing with older kids in the front yard, folded a diaper to look vaguely like a gun and proceeded to make noises like he was shooting it.

Phillip Allen
12-13-2009, 06:40 PM
Our son, playing with older kids in the front yard, folded a diaper to look vaguely like a gun and proceeded to make noises like he was shooting it.

very dangerous things come out of diapers...

paladin
12-13-2009, 06:53 PM
Good grief...we used to make mud balls and dry them in the sun then shoot them with home made oversized slingshots......spears from the tall bamboo reeds and play war games...no one ever lost an eye or was hurt more seriously than their pride.

Phillip Allen
12-13-2009, 07:01 PM
yep...some folks seem to think little boys can be trained to think like little girls... :) (did I say that?)

WX
12-13-2009, 08:51 PM
I grew up playing war games, luckily I was able to see beyond the noble glory aspect by the time I reached military age. I still read military history and I can have respect for those that do serve but war really is and must be the absolute last resort.

BrianW
12-13-2009, 11:17 PM
...every year in the US, 41 babies are shot with unregistered strollers?

No, no, no!

You've got the stats wrong again. It's every 41st baby that gets shot. That doesn't include baby suicide.

;)

botebum
12-13-2009, 11:30 PM
Don't start with me Mr. If It's Brown It's Down! Have you proved your manhood yet by killing every one of God's beautiful creatures in nature? No? Didn't think so. I don't recall seeing any bears across the bow of that aluminum hulk you call a boat this past season:p:D

Doug

Robert L.
12-14-2009, 12:45 AM
Just a little serious note to add. As might be guessed from my avatar I am a contract professional Santa. Four seasons ago in California I had a little girl on my knee maybe three or four years old. As we where smiling for the camera she kept bouncing her stuffed animal on my knee. It was one of those with a zipper so that it could be used to keep stuff inside. Anyway each time she bounced it, it hurt, obviously something hard and heavy inside. On one of the bounces she lost her grip and it hit the wooden stage. I knew what it was for sure when I heard it hit. I bent over to pick it up and at that point there was no question. A very small revolver with a short largish diameter barrel. I asked the girl “Sweetie, does your mommy hide her gun in your comfy” her reply as she starts to unzip it, “Yes! Do you want to see it?” While I am trying to get the set managers attention, mom grabs the gun the child and her pictures and heads towards the entrance tucking them all into the stroller. I was totally unsuccessful in trying to get the set manager to call security, her response was “our job is to take pictures, not to make judgments about a child’s safety”.

Paul Girouard
12-14-2009, 01:25 AM
[quote=Robert L.;2421490]

As might be guessed from my avatar I am a contract professional Santa.

quote]

I'd have never guessed:D

Any low flyin Prowlers or Growlers out your way lately? With this mad man at the Conn these days air strikes are a dime a dozen.

ishmael
12-14-2009, 06:07 AM
Boys play war. Bang bang, shoot 'em up. I think it's just part of their nature, but all I really know is that we did. Hide and attack. The basics of warfare.

ishmael
12-14-2009, 07:33 AM
I hadn't read that until Andrew re-posted.

Golly, Amurica sure can be a strange place! I wonder if any laws were breached in this situation? There must be laws regarding age and possession of a firearm, eh?

Tealsmith
12-14-2009, 07:49 AM
If they don't have toy guns, boys will pick up a stick and say bang, bang. Take away the sticks and they will point a finger and say bang, bang.

I guess amputation is the answer.

bamamick
12-14-2009, 08:44 AM
When I was a kid we HAD wars. Real wars. The only thing not allowed was damaging the eyes. We spent entire summers camped out in tents wearing fatigues (this is when I was 8-10 years old), wearing WWII helmet liners and carrying knives, spears and BB guns (and in my case, a .22 caliber air pistol). Taking prisoners and interrogating them (in some cases using pain as a way to get the information we wanted). The 'Lord of the Flies' had very little on us, mate.

I am not joking. I have been punched, shot repeatedly with BB guns, stabbed, and was even shot with a bird arrow. As far as I know my parents were unaware that this stuff was going on (before everyone criticizes my parents, I think that it was just a different world then).

How did I turn out? Well, I don't know, really. I am who I am, but I do know that none of this really influenced who I am today as far as I can tell. I don't own a gun. I do carry a pocket knife. For us it was just playing and didn't effect me any more than playing kickball or any other game we played.

Strange world, eh?

Mickey Lake

ishmael
12-14-2009, 09:07 AM
A favored bit of gear when we were playing war was a canteen issued to my father. I'm not clear why he was issued it, less clear why he brought it home, but a aluminum bottle with a padded canvas sheath that had hooks for a belt. That was held rather sacred, the holy hand grenade of Antioch.

John of Phoenix
12-14-2009, 11:09 AM
My toys were airplanes and look what happened to me.
Ah, the joys of my mis-spent youth.

http://members.cox.net/bluemax44/Cobras/coveringslicks

Tom Hunter
12-14-2009, 01:20 PM
NO! It's way to dangerous

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXoCmq34p9E

Robert L.
12-16-2009, 03:06 AM
Any low flyin Prowlers or Growlers out your way lately?

Paul, wouldn't know, haven't been home for a month but I am sure they must be flying overhead on a regular basis to make up for a the time they don't fly when I am there. ;=)

Boy it would be great if my paranoid fantasies could live up to what you imagine them to be, but alas I am really pretty boring.

BTW your comment about S-3 Viking's being retired from the fleet may be a clue. Checked up and it seems the Border Patrol may have a few. And unlike the occasional other flights that must come pretty close to overflying Bangor, this one did a bit of a left oblique out over the Sound at about the Hood Canal Bridge. I will try to get back to tidy up the Paul G. thread, oh! and I did get some pictures back then. Not great, iPhone at dusk, but they do give an idea of the low altitude I have mentioned in the past.

Oh and just to keep this from straying too far from the thread, maybe someday I will tell the story of the post-apocalyptic steam powered mobile assault bookmobile a friend and I dreamed up a few decades ago.

seanz
12-16-2009, 03:14 AM
. I was totally unsuccessful in trying to get the set manager to call security, her response was “our job is to take pictures, not to make judgments about a child’s safety”.

The childs safety? What about yours? :eek:

skuthorp
12-16-2009, 04:11 AM
Of course it's not exactly a new idea, and a bit too upfront for me. I prefer the wooden model popularised in ancent Japan

http://www.google.com.au/url?source=imgres&ct=tbn&q=http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5189TMVJFTL._SL500_AA280_.jpg&usg=AFQjCNHGA6_fAJfjQ1pwskE8jMyE8qVUrQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtI_Jau3674

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlZQ3Icylto&NR=1

Duncan Gibbs
12-16-2009, 05:03 AM
The artist responsible built them in response to the line, "We're lucky babies are so helpless, because if they had any power at all they would destroy the world."

And y'know something Dan, it almost happened once before! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXoCmq34p9E) If it hadn't been for three brave men who stopped those babies who knows what may have happened!

ishmael
12-16-2009, 11:07 AM
"When I was a kid we HAD wars. Real wars. The only thing not allowed was damaging the eyes."

We didn't shoot BB guns at each other, but we did wield a weapon that would have put an eye out. If you get a rubber band, preferably a heavy duty one of the right length that fits the span of your thumb and forefinger, then break apart some common paper clips, you've got a weapon that stings a might even through jeans.

Thinking on the things many boys do it's kinda amazing any of us it make to adulthood relatively unscathed.