PDA

View Full Version : Hemingway and chocolate

Shang
12-12-2009, 09:54 PM
Some years ago Hemingway cited the “Things A Man Must Do In Order To Call Himself A Man.” I’ve long since forgotten what these were. They must have been macho, like running with the bulls or catching a big two-fisted fish, but I would suggest two or three more that Papa may have forgotten:

--To call yourself a man you should know at least two recipes for chocolate chip cookies beyond the recipe that is printed on the chocolate chip package, because women need chocolate.
--To be able to correctly sharpen a jack-plane blade and know how to use it to make a household repair.
--To try, at least, to start a gasoline engine on a cold morning.
--To have in general a working knowledge of female anatomy, and to be able to discuss this with the lady he lives with.

Any further additional suggestions, guys?

BrianW
12-12-2009, 10:17 PM
Skin a buck?

Run a trot line?

Shang
12-12-2009, 10:19 PM
Skin a buck?

Run a trot line?

Puts meat on the table... yep, that qualifies.
Doubt that Hemingway brought home enough fish to make lunch.

ishmael
12-12-2009, 10:27 PM
Satisfy a woman sexually. OK, OK, not politically correct, and maybe it should read lover not woman, but I was thinking like Hemingway. LOL.

Shang
12-12-2009, 11:33 PM
Good work, Ish.
We share the planet with those, and we have an obligation to make them happy,
as they do for us.

ishmael
12-13-2009, 12:31 AM
Shang,

If you haven't seen it, look up the small film "Wrestling Ernest Hemingway."

I wonder, somedays, what the director is up to. Randa Haines. Her big splash was "Children of a Lesser God" but the aforementioned film is much better. My favorite small American film, ever.

Paul Pless
12-13-2009, 06:33 AM
Doubt that Hemingway brought home enough fish to make lunch.eh?

jonboy
12-13-2009, 07:06 AM
Doubt that Hemingway brought home enough fish to make lunch.

In 1950 he started the International Marlin Tournament based out of Havana, whose first prize in 1960 was won by some guy called Fidel Castro.
It took place every year in the stretch of Gulf Stream at the time nicknamed by the locals 'Hemingways mile' east of Cojímar..

His favorite boat 'Pilar', pretty as a picture and still in his Finca Vigia about 10 kms south of Havana, is sadly out of the water but well preserved and there are several photos there, one of him smiling ear to ear and holding a marlin by the spiky bit...

There's a fish caldeirada named after him too 'Ceviche Ernesto'

I should imagine the fish lunches were legendary......

Paul Pless
12-13-2009, 07:16 AM
I should imagine the fish lunches were legendary......i suspect so

jonboy
12-13-2009, 07:22 AM
back to the original thread,

.....mending a rear puncture beside the road on a '63 Duoglide with only a side stand and a couple of tyre levers apparently made out of overcooked pasta.

ishmael
12-13-2009, 08:24 AM
There's a hint in "Big Two Hearted River," that a young Hemingway did some market fishing for the local Inns in Petoskey and Harbor Springs. Trout! Don't know if that's the case, but he wrote about it.

My favorite Hemingway story of all time is "Big Two Hearted River." There's actually a river called the Two Hearted in the YOOP, so if he did catch trout for market he conflated a bit in that story.

Paul Pless
12-13-2009, 10:20 AM
There's a hint in "Big Two Hearted River," that a young Hemingway did some market fishing for the local Inns in Petoskey and Harbor Springs. Trout! Don't know if that's the case, but he wrote about it.

My favorite Hemingway story of all time is "Big Two Hearted River." There's actually a river called the Two Hearted in the YOOP, so if he did catch trout for market he conflated a bit in that story.I like that story as well, very much so. Actually, he wrote the story based on his biographical experiences on the Fox River in the Upper Peninsula, but used the name of the other river in the UP for literary effect.

elf
12-13-2009, 11:26 AM
On the subject of chocolate, if knowing more than the recipe on the chocolate chip bag is actually a prerequisite I propose that knowing not to use the contents of that bag is even more important.

ishmael
12-13-2009, 11:29 AM
Paul,

My understanding of Hemingway history is fairly scant, but I know his family had a place on Torch Lake, which is near Harbor Springs and Petoskey. Getting to the UP before the bridge wasn't a day's drive, but I can see a camping expedition.

I camped on the Two Hearted, years ago. Very pretty. Even though people cut most of the old growth, that state when you get above Flint remains wild and beautiful.

How's Hell treating you? I need to get out an atlas and see just where you are.

Someone, maybe twenty years back, pulled together the Nick Adams stories into a single volume. His story of he and his father rowing to tend to a sick Indian only to find the man had killed himself also sticks. Larger than life yet right there are those early writings. They are redolent with where my blood still flows in Northern Michigan.

Take care and best wishes to Kat,

Jack

Shang
12-13-2009, 07:16 PM
On the subject of chocolate, if knowing more than the recipe on the chocolate chip bag is actually a prerequisite I propose that knowing not to use the contents of that bag is even more important.

Broken up bits of dark chocolate are better, and better for you.

Daily Dark Chocolate Good for the Heart, Loaded With Flavonoids
By Daniel J. DeNoon
WebMD Health News
Here's news that's hard not to like. Eating a small, 1.6-ounce bar of dark chocolate every day is good for you. Very good for you, find Mary Engler, PhD, RN, of the University of California, San Francisco, and colleagues.

Now here is a medical experiment you would love to volunteer for. Engler's team divided 21 healthy adults into two groups. One group got a Dove Dark Chocolate bar every day for two weeks. Like other dark chocolate bars with high-cocoa content, this one is loaded with something called epicatechin. Epicatechin is a particularly active member of a group of compounds called plant flavoniods. Flavoniods keep cholesterol from gathering in blood vessels, reduce the risk of blood clots, and slow down the immune responses that lead to clogged arteries.
http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20040601/dark-chocolate-day-keeps-doctor-away

Michael D. Storey
12-13-2009, 08:30 PM
Skin a buck?

Run a trot line?
Trot line's good

ishmael
12-13-2009, 09:01 PM
I was just remembering that Hadley, his first wife, left a slew of manuscripts in a cab or a tram in Paris. No copies, they were gone. Anyone know that story?

Bob (oh, THAT Bob)
12-14-2009, 02:19 AM
To make whipped cream from fresh cream, using only a hand whisk and bowl. Takes the muscles of Thor and the speed of Ali.

To time an engine without a timing light.

To re-erect something massive that has fallen over, something several times his own weight, using only levers and simple machines.

spirit
12-14-2009, 10:03 AM
Somebody said:
"To have lived a man must have...
built a boat,
raised a son,
planted a tree.
and???"