PDA

View Full Version : The Wreck of a Treasure Ship

ishmael
12-12-2009, 07:55 PM
I'm in the middle of great book, "The Treasure of the Concepcion," Peter Earle. Very literate, very well researched, and an easy read to boot.

A Spanish treasure ship on her way back to Spain runs aground and sinks on a poorly charted reef, 1641, somewhere North of current day Dominican Republic.

I was amazed how many people were aboard. Estimates vary, but around 500 aboard a ship only 150 feet long!

Many die, many survive, and the survivor's reports give rise immediately to official and unofficial attempts to locate the wreck and raise her treasure of silver ingots, all at the height of Carribean piracy. Argh! LOL.

I'm up to the turn of the turn of the 17th century, and they haven't found the wreck yet. Not for a lack of trying. There've been a half dozen serious expeditions.

Did you realize they were using diving bells in the 17th century? Pretty primitive; just a weighted barrel full of air.

The author was at the time of the writing a reader in Economic History at the University of London. He writes very well.

Fascinating.

ishmael
12-13-2009, 05:40 PM
Bump. Just 'cause it's kinda cool.