PDA

View Full Version : invictus and morgan freeman

Paul Pless
12-11-2009, 05:54 PM
Has there ever been a biographical movie where the lead role was more typecast than Morgan Freeman as Mandela? Its almost too much for me to want to see it; and I'm a Morgan Freeman fan.

Ian McColgin
12-11-2009, 06:12 PM
Eastwood had to cast Freeman: God was unavailable.

bamamick
12-11-2009, 07:08 PM
Hmmm. I want to see this. I was never a big Eastwood fan at all until he did 'Unforgiven', but his directorial 'style' I really like, and this subject matter is very interesting to me.

Unfortunately, it's not on in my county this weekend, or at least not in Gulf Shores. Maybe later.

Mickey Lake

capt jake
12-11-2009, 07:09 PM
I wasn't a big fan of Eastwood either, until I watched Gran Torino. That movie was great!

Ian McColgin
12-11-2009, 11:09 PM
We didn't have TV when I was a kid so I had to wait till "A Fistfull of Dollars" to get clued in to Eastwood's ability. Just because I'm a left-leaning pro-gun-control yahdahdah doesn't in any way limit my love of westerns, even the stylized European perspective.

Speaking of which, am I the last person alive who saw El Topo?

PeterSibley
12-12-2009, 05:41 AM
Letters from Iwo Jima .

bamamick
12-12-2009, 05:21 PM
Andrew, a lot of people will go see it because of Eastwood and Morgan Freeman.

They had a rugby tournament here in November (Battleship Rugby Club) and iirc there were over 600 participants out there. Lots of people already enjoy rugby in North America, we just don't have professionals playing.

Mickey Lake

B_B
12-12-2009, 05:48 PM
Andrew, a lot of people will go see it because of Eastwood and Morgan Freeman.
Matt Damon's just chopped liver?

...how can a film about rugby union do well in the USA?
I really don't think the movie is about rugby union, its about union of a different sort using the 1995 World Cup as metaphor.

pefjr
12-12-2009, 10:19 PM
Good movie, up there with Million Dollar Baby. Sportsmen will love it.

Shang
12-12-2009, 10:24 PM
We didn't have TV when I was a kid so I had to wait till "A Fistfull of Dollars" to get clued in to Eastwood's ability. Just because I'm a left-leaning pro-gun-control yahdahdah doesn't in any way limit my love of westerns, even the stylized European perspective.

Speaking of which, am I the last person alive who saw El Topo?

El Topo...?
Directed by Alejandro Jodorowsky. With Alejandro Jodorowsky, Brontis Jodorowsky, Josť Legarreta...?
No, I must have missed that one...

brad9798
12-13-2009, 12:20 AM
I simply do not get 'Unforgiven.'

VERY good movie ... NOT a GREAT movie, though.

:confused:

mmd
12-13-2009, 12:52 AM
I went to see Million Dollar Baby when it played in my local theatre. The theatre was filled almost to maximum capacity. Aside from the fact that I liked the film, what astounded me was the impact on the audience. As the crowd left the theatre there was absolute silence. You could have heard a pin drop. To have a film have that impact on an audience is extremely rare. Feel-good movies leave them chattering.

Movies that they don't like leave the audience grumbling.

To have a film leave four hundred people in stunned silence is evidence of a very powerful experience that happens rarely. That is good film-making.

I look forward to seeing Eastwood's current movie.

Rigadog
12-13-2009, 11:14 AM
"I simply do not get 'Unforgiven.'

VERY good movie ... NOT a GREAT movie, though." --

I thought the same when I saw it in the theatre when it came out, but saw it again last week on TV and have to say it is a Great movie.
I had missed the point that writers inflate people until they are the size of Macy's Thanksgiving day parade characters, because people need larger than life characters. Eastwood's character was not the one of legend, but he still got the job done in the end.

It is both an anti-Western and a great Western at the same time. Amazing feat really

Saw Invictus, very good movie, quite moving. Made me think Obama maybe needs to spend some time in prison to be a real leader. We need someone of the caliber of a Mandela to get us out of the mess we have become.