PDA

View Full Version : Forum holiday card mailing list

elf
12-09-2009, 05:22 PM
Is no longer on my site but instead is available from me. Please PM me for a copy and include your email address.

Spin_Drift
12-11-2009, 06:23 AM
I'd like to get the address list please.

Thank you :)

elf
12-13-2009, 12:03 PM
Just a reminder. There are around 40 people on the list and I've sent out around 8 copies of it.

Syed
12-13-2009, 12:09 PM
Some members (including myself) had already received a list from 'S/V Laura Ellen'.

S/V Laura Ellen
12-13-2009, 01:12 PM
Some members (including myself) had already received a list from 'S/V Laura Ellen'.

Elf has added to and updated some entries.

Allan

Concordia...41
12-13-2009, 03:13 PM
I just noticed Claudia & David's is still the Tennessee one. If you need the Plant City one just let me know.

- M

elf
12-13-2009, 03:35 PM
Ask them to let me know. I prefer to get the news from the horse's mouth.

elf
12-13-2009, 06:54 PM
Chuck is telling me that there are many errors in the card list.

Perhaps I should have gone at it a different way?

Keep posted for corrections.

Spin_Drift
12-16-2009, 08:05 PM
Rant:

first, I feel bad about this Christmas card list thing because my zip code is wrong on the list.

Second, on the list are our real names ONLY and nowhere on that list with my address, does it indicate my handle "spinner" so many of the new peple will not know which is the zip code that needs to be corrected.

This should have been corrected BEFORE the PDF list was sent out.

I've invested a lot of money on cards and stamps, as well as time in writing personalized greetings to everyone on the list.

I have the feeling that this year again, there will be only fraction of cards coming to us....and I think it is because the damned wrong zip code.

I see Elf said for you all to change the last number on the zip for me, but the addresses does not indicate which is my addy. She meant well and I appreciate that. :)

Last year it was the same thing, got a few cards but nothing like I sent out... and it might have been because the zip was wrong then too.

PS: It would be nice to know who many of the people on the list are as I don't recognize the names without the "handle" that the person uses on the WBF

S/V Laura Ellen
12-16-2009, 08:12 PM
I have a plan for next year to make this much easier.

I will create a web page and have a form for people to enter thier address, email address (kept confidential), and WBF alias. I will set it up that people can then download the resulting file to their computer.
I think it would be a good idea that people will need a sign-on and password so that they can change their info only.

What do you think?

The Bigfella
12-16-2009, 08:31 PM
Well, mine went in the mail this morning... I already had the correct address for Claudia & David. I think Phillip A's is S, not W... apart from that, I've sent them as per the list.

So, Spinner... I'll send the card I sent you back to you in the New Year... after it bounces around the States for a while and comes back here.

I seem to recall getting a few returns last year too.

Cheers all... Merry Christmas....

Oh yeah... to those (male or female) who get into trouble for getting a card from "The Bigfella" ... point them here and tell them it isn't what they were thinking..

elf
12-16-2009, 09:16 PM
I only got about 2/3rd of the cards from last year. I figured it was people who did'nt actually get around to it. One person on the list told me outright he just didn't do that. Don't know why he wanted to be on the list, but there it was.

My hunch for this year is that many people aren't even paying attention. I've only received about 10 requests for the list and there are 41 people on it. Granted, some of them snuck it off the web site before I took it down. And some of them probably figured out how to parse Allan's zipped spreadsheet, which I couldn't. But when he sent me his unzipped spreadsheet there were quite a few problems with it too.

So I figure it will more or less all come out in the wash.

S/V Laura Ellen
12-16-2009, 09:30 PM
I only got about 2/3rd of the cards from last year...

Seems like a good result, all things considered. These is no assumption that every one on the list will send cards to everyone on the list. Some people may opt to send to a subset of the list, don't see a problem with that.

I've always wondered how many cards get "lost in the mail" during the Christmas season.

elf
12-16-2009, 09:35 PM
I'm not sure I agree, Allan. There are, undoubtedly, people on the forum who don't wish to share their mailing addres, or alternatively, are willing to share it with people in a card exchange, but not beyond that subset.

Personally, I'd prefer that only people intending to participate get the list.

S/V Laura Ellen
12-16-2009, 09:52 PM
I'm not sure I agree, Allan. There are, undoubtedly, people on the forum who don't wish to share their mailing addres, or alternatively, are willing to share it with people in a card exchange, but not beyond that subset.

Personally, I'd prefer that only people intending to participate get the list.

elf:
I personally agree with your statement, I tend to treat all people the same. There are only a couple people on the Forum that I would not send a card to (unless the list got prohibitively big).
I sent you and Spin Drift a PM with a prototype of a web based system we can use next year.

Features:

Only people that submit their address will have access to the information of others.
You will only be able to change your own information
The information would be downloaded in CSV format, can be saved or opened in any software that can read a CSV file
E-mail from the web system can be sent to those that participate to remind people to update their info.
The e-mails addresses will be kept private and will not be included in the download file.
The information will be available all year and should be used for only the intended purpose (no advertising)

Please test the site and send me your comments (if there is something you don't like or doesn't work let me know).

elf
12-16-2009, 10:05 PM
What's a CSV file? I have a vague recollection that I've never been able to open one, and that the Mac-L hasn't been able to help.

S/V Laura Ellen
12-16-2009, 10:10 PM
What's a CSV file? I have a vague recollection that I've never been able to open one, and that the Mac-L hasn't been able to help.

CSV is an industry standard file format that works well on MACs and PCs. With CSV (comma separated values) format, each record would be on its own line and each field would be separated by a comma. Excel and Word can read these files. I use the file with excel and word to make mailing labels.

Give it a try.

botebum
12-16-2009, 10:21 PM
I've thought about it and decided that I won't be participating this year. Nothing personal to anyone. I suggested last year that I'd be more interested in an e-card/email holiday letter exchange but not many people seemed interested. If there is any interest in that idea now then I'd still be willing to do it. I just don't have the time, money or interest to send out cards. Sorry. I don't want to be a Scrooge but I'm just not into it. I'll write an open Holiday letter to all and post it on the forum when I get in the mood.

Doug

elf
12-16-2009, 11:19 PM
I took you off the list, Doug. But you may get cards anyway, since more than half the people on the list probably either won't ever see this thread, or won't notice a new addition to it.

Mrleft8
12-16-2009, 11:21 PM
I've thought about it and decided that I won't be participating this year. Nothing personal to anyone. I suggested last year that I'd be more interested in an e-card/email holiday letter exchange but not many people seemed interested. If there is any interest in that idea now then I'd still be willing to do it. I just don't have the time, money or interest to send out cards. Sorry. I don't want to be a Scrooge but I'm just not into it. I'll write an open Holiday letter to all and post it on the forum when I get in the mood.

Doug

Good thing I already told Carter not to send you a card cuz yer name was spelled wrong..... And you were a pinkie butt doodle weenie.:D

The Bigfella
12-17-2009, 01:47 AM
Hey Grumpiebum.... I sent you a card. Get well soon you silly bugger.

A suggestion for next year.... if it doesn't have your login name on it, it doesn't go on the list.

btw... I sent everyone, bar myself, on the list a card... and I posted 38. Where does 41 come from?

Yeah, OK, so I signed the card to Phillip "41"... he'll get it.

The Bigfella
12-17-2009, 01:52 AM
Bloody hell... its 42.3C here today. That's 108F... and I've been out moving machinery.

How about sending us some Christmas snow?

BrianW
12-17-2009, 02:11 AM
Yeah, OK, so I signed the card to Phillip "41"... he'll get it.

:D!

Concordia...41
12-17-2009, 05:42 AM
Anyone out there who is still working on theirs and who will feel slighted because they don't get one in return can skip me. :(

I may get cards out this year but it looks less and less likely every day. But I promise it's not from lack of trying. I've got cards here (the ones I didn't get out last year) and all I need to do is find the picture on my hard drive, order however many copies from Walgreens, and spend a couple of hours and they'd be done, but every single day gets away from me.

Last week was a complete disaster trying to get the boat ready for the Regatta of Lights, which was a complete and total disaster in and of itself. I really thought Sunday would be the day to do the cards (and finish some Christmas shopping) but then most of Sunday was spent down at the boat cleaning things up. Monday and Tuesday - oh yeah, I had to work for a living and had promised a side job would be done. Said side job sitting right here in front of me with several hours work to go. Yesterday and today I got up at 4 am and even skipped the gym so I could get to the office at 6, because there's tons of stuff going on there that needs my attention. My gentleman is leaving Friday for a boat delivery that I'm going to have to miss, but still need to provision for, and as many folks have figured out, Claudia's daughter is in the hospital in Jacksonville and I should get up there one afternoon. Like YESTERDAY! There's blue tape still on the boat from the varnish work I didn't get finished before I had to start putting on the Christmas lights, and if the weather accidentally cooperates and I could squeeze in a few hours this weekend, I could get another couple of coats of varnish on before I have to spend the better part of a couple of days with adhesive remover getting the stupid tape that I left on too long off. :( Oh yeah, and Dave's daughter is in a mess and I'm likely going to drive down to Stuart Saturday or Sunday and help her at least get a couple of things for the kids for Christmas and maybe a roof over her head for another month while she sorts some things out. I ordered stamps and printed off the card list when elf sent it to me, but it is somewhere here on my left in an 8" stack of mail, cards, bills, and important things to do, which has just become a big stack that I don't even have time to look at long enough to pull the bills out and make sure I'm not missing a payment and going to get a late fee just because I'm so stupid crazy busy that I let something get by me.

By Monday, gosh knows what will have hit the fan and how ever much of the above will still be undone - and don't forget, I still have to do some Christmas shopping. :o

SO here's another year that I probably won't get cards out and anyone that feels slighted because they sent a card a didn't get one back, well I'm just super sorry......

My personal suggestion for next year though is that not only you (Allan / elf whoever is doing it) open it to everyone - whether they intend to send cards or not, but also that you encourage some of the newer folks to participate. I mean like actually reach out to folks. There have been so many new and great people and projects come along the last year or so, and I kindof feel like some of us "old guard" appear kind of cliquish at times. Screen names would be a nice touch too.

Sorry for the rant, but when I pointed out that Claudia and David's address was wrong and you wanted to hear it from them not me, and now the comment that folks shouldn't be on the list at all if they don't send cards really hurt my feelings. Granted it's the stress of the season all around, but I think we should all be more open and forgiving, not closing folks out.

Now I really am late to work. So much for getting there at 6 and having a couple hours working time before everyone gets in. Maybe if I get home by 7 or so tonight I can spend a couple of hours finishing up the other project, then could get to the stack of stuff tomorrow morning, and cards tomorrow night. Maybe. :( :o

- M

Tracey
12-17-2009, 09:22 AM
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m193/searover1916/sailboat_christmas_cards.jpg

Dear Margo,

Happy Holidays. We want to wish you all the best in 2010.

Jim and Tracey

elf
12-17-2009, 09:33 AM
Well, my concern about people not asking for the list if they didn't intend to participate was a concern for the privacy of the people on the list, not exclusionary in any way. And the same consideration motivated me when asking that Claudia and David tell me their address. I certainly can understand that it might appear that way, and assure all and sundry that it wasn't my intention.

And if you want to email me your photo I'll go get your prints for you! (But i know it's selecting the image that really takes all the time!)

Hang in there, Margo. My best hopes wing their way to David's daughter and Claudia's too. We like to imagine this season as one free of serious problems and misfortune. May their holdiays improve as we get towards the 25th.

Spin_Drift
12-17-2009, 01:57 PM
Hi, I've written a card for everyone on the list and will go stand in line at the post office for the stamps today. They will be mailed today.

This post office has two people working on counter. The last time I walked to the P. O box, the line to the counter went outside the room and all the way to far end of the "hallway".

I think sending e-cands next year would be fine and it wouldn't cost a hundred dollars. I also like the idea of only giving the list to those who signs in for it and will send a card out.

Anyway, wishing everyone a wonderful Christmas.

Concordia...41
12-19-2009, 03:28 PM
Well, I tried. :( I really tried.

First, I'm sorry about the rant, but one of the points I was trying to make was that if I, a person with a simple life and no real issues, was that busy then the average person - and certainly anyone with children at home, a large family, or real issues - could really run out of time and not get all the things they wanted to do - like Christmas cards - done.

At any rate, I got up this morning and spent several hours catching up the little things, digging out the cards from last year :o - which, BTW were sitting on top of last year's cards, which I had saved so that I could be sure to include the wonderful folks like Syed and Spinn who sent cards from overseas - found the picture I wanted to use, tried to upload to Walgreens (which was part of the slow down initially), even called their customer support because I'm locked out of my account and need to print some other pictures I'd already uploaded, gave up on that, created a CVS account, uploaded there, ordered 40 prints to be ready at 1:30 today, and even gave them an extra hour + before driving down there to pick up the copies.

AND GUESS WHOSE PHOTOPROCESSING MACHINE IS DOWN AND WHO WON'T BE ABLE TO GET A TECH OUT UNTIL TOMORROW OR LATER!!!!!!????? :mad:

To my credit, I was super kind and super polite and told the apologetic young lady that it was entirely my fault that I'd waited until the Saturday before Christmas to try to do my cards and that I'd check back on Monday and see if the prints were ready...

And yes, I know, I could create another Walgreens account or try another CVS (there was one in Palm Coast that had same-day availability), or I could create a SnapFish account and send them to a local Publix kiosk, but right now I've got greater than an hour in this and I'm no closer to getting cards out than I was this morning. :(

I'm not giving up, but it's frustrating...

S/V Laura Ellen
12-19-2009, 03:46 PM
Mine went out by Pony Express on the 14th. Hard to say how many will make it across the border in time for Christmas. I would have used air mail, but the carrier pigeons wouldn't cooperate.

elf
12-19-2009, 10:57 PM

Even though it's so full of quintessential holiday gotchas, it's still a wonderful story. Great story telling, Margo!

S/V Laura Ellen
12-20-2009, 12:02 AM

First, I'm sorry about the rant, but one of the points I was trying to make was that if I, a person with a simple life and no real issues, was that busy then the average person - and certainly anyone with children at home, a large family, or real issues - could really run out of time and not get all the things they wanted to do - like Christmas cards - done.

At any rate, I got up this morning and spent several hours catching up the little things, digging out the cards from last year :o - which, BTW were sitting on top of last year's cards, which I had saved so that I could be sure to include the wonderful folks like Syed and Spinn who sent cards from overseas - found the picture I wanted to use, tried to upload to Walgreens (which was part of the slow down initially), even called their customer support because I'm locked out of my account and need to print some other pictures I'd already uploaded, gave up on that, created a CVS account, uploaded there, ordered 40 prints to be ready at 1:30 today, and even gave them an extra hour + before driving down there to pick up the copies.

AND GUESS WHOSE PHOTOPROCESSING MACHINE IS DOWN AND WHO WON'T BE ABLE TO GET A TECH OUT UNTIL TOMORROW OR LATER!!!!!!????? :mad:

To my credit, I was super kind and super polite and told the apologetic young lady that it was entirely my fault that I'd waited until the Saturday before Christmas to try to do my cards and that I'd check back on Monday and see if the prints were ready...

And yes, I know, I could create another Walgreens account or try another CVS (there was one in Palm Coast that had same-day availability), or I could create a SnapFish account and send them to a local Publix kiosk, but right now I've got greater than an hour in this and I'm no closer to getting cards out than I was this morning. :(

Sounds like a typical hectic day for you Margo, but it begs to ask the question, "what are you going to do after breakfast".

Concordia...41
12-22-2009, 04:44 PM
I just did my first card! Woo hoo! New Years cards anyone? :rolleyes:

elf
12-22-2009, 05:19 PM
Sorry. Yours went out today. It'll probably be late...

Concordia...41
12-22-2009, 05:36 PM
Three guesses who can't find their Christmas stamps... :(

I swear I didn't used to be this much of a train wreck... :o

BrianW
12-22-2009, 05:59 PM
Fortunately for me, SWMBO is much better at this stuff, and has just about finished sending ours out. Do believe she got everyone on the list, with the exception of Syed and Ian.

I'm not sure if those two addresses on the list are complete, or not?

S/V Laura Ellen
12-22-2009, 06:00 PM
Three guesses who can't find their Christmas stamps... :(

I swear I didn't used to be this much of a train wreck... :o

http://1heckofaguy.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/platespinner.jpg

You can only keep the plates spinning for so long, once it begins to fall apart, it's like a train wreck.
But it is amazing to watch when the plates are still spinning.:D:D:D

The Bigfella
12-22-2009, 06:29 PM
Fortunately for me, SWMBO is much better at this stuff, and has just about finished sending ours out. Do believe she got everyone on the list, with the exception of Syed and Ian.

I'm not sure if those two addresses on the list are complete, or not?

Yep - they are correct. (I just checked Syed's envelope from last year... and I think at one stage mine didn't have Australia on it, but the list I worked from does)

Mine have been winging their way around for about a week now, although the post office thought they may not make it for Christmas.

Concordia...41
12-22-2009, 08:02 PM
Ian - I got yours today and Allan's, who also thought his would be late, yesterday :)

The good news for you guys is that you're in the front half of the alaphabet, which is about what I got through before I had to ensure the garage door was repaired and start dinner. ;)

Maybe back to it now...

Cheers!

- M