X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • elf
    opinionated crone
    • Sep 2006

Forum holiday card mailing list

Is no longer on my site but instead is available from me. Please PM me for a copy and include your email address.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.

http://www.landsedgephoto.photodeck.com
  • Spin_Drift
    LPBC member
    • Jul 2006

Re: Forum holiday card mailing list

I'd like to get the address list please.

Thank you
    Choose wisely -Treat kindly...
    A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth...
    sigpic
    S/V ORCA 38' Herreshoff Ketch

Comment

• elf
      opinionated crone
      • Sep 2006

Just a reminder. There are around 40 people on the list and I've sent out around 8 copies of it.
      A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

And other things, too.

Comment

• Syed
        • Oct 2006

Some members (including myself) had already received a list from 'S/V Laura Ellen'.

Comment

• S/V Laura Ellen
          Neither Fair nor Balanced
          • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Syed
          Some members (including myself) had already received a list from 'S/V Laura Ellen'.

Elf has added to and updated some entries.

Allan
          Allan of the Grove
          "never send a ferret to do a weasel's job.."

Comment

• Concordia...41
            Grateful Member
            • Apr 2006

I just noticed Claudia & David's is still the Tennessee one. If you need the Plant City one just let me know.

- M

Comment

• elf
              opinionated crone
              • Sep 2006

Ask them to let me know. I prefer to get the news from the horse's mouth.

And other things, too.

Comment

• elf
                opinionated crone
                • Sep 2006

Chuck is telling me that there are many errors in the card list.

Perhaps I should have gone at it a different way?

Keep posted for corrections.

And other things, too.

Comment

• Spin_Drift
                  LPBC member
                  • Jul 2006

Rant:

first, I feel bad about this Christmas card list thing because my zip code is wrong on the list.

Second, on the list are our real names ONLY and nowhere on that list with my address, does it indicate my handle "spinner" so many of the new peple will not know which is the zip code that needs to be corrected.

This should have been corrected BEFORE the PDF list was sent out.

I've invested a lot of money on cards and stamps, as well as time in writing personalized greetings to everyone on the list.

I have the feeling that this year again, there will be only fraction of cards coming to us....and I think it is because the damned wrong zip code.

I see Elf said for you all to change the last number on the zip for me, but the addresses does not indicate which is my addy. She meant well and I appreciate that.

Last year it was the same thing, got a few cards but nothing like I sent out... and it might have been because the zip was wrong then too.

PS: It would be nice to know who many of the people on the list are as I don't recognize the names without the "handle" that the person uses on the WBF
                  Last edited by Spin_Drift; 12-16-2009, 07:11 PM.
                  Choose wisely -Treat kindly...
                  A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth...
                  sigpic
                  S/V ORCA 38' Herreshoff Ketch

Comment

• S/V Laura Ellen
                    • Oct 2003

I have a plan for next year to make this much easier.

I will create a web page and have a form for people to enter thier address, email address (kept confidential), and WBF alias. I will set it up that people can then download the resulting file to their computer.
                    I think it would be a good idea that people will need a sign-on and password so that they can change their info only.

What do you think?
                    Allan of the Grove

Comment

• elf
                      opinionated crone
                      • Sep 2006

I only got about 2/3rd of the cards from last year. I figured it was people who did'nt actually get around to it. One person on the list told me outright he just didn't do that. Don't know why he wanted to be on the list, but there it was.

My hunch for this year is that many people aren't even paying attention. I've only received about 10 requests for the list and there are 41 people on it. Granted, some of them snuck it off the web site before I took it down. And some of them probably figured out how to parse Allan's zipped spreadsheet, which I couldn't. But when he sent me his unzipped spreadsheet there were quite a few problems with it too.

So I figure it will more or less all come out in the wash.

And other things, too.

Comment

• S/V Laura Ellen
                        • Oct 2003

Originally posted by elf
                        I only got about 2/3rd of the cards from last year...
                        Seems like a good result, all things considered. These is no assumption that every one on the list will send cards to everyone on the list. Some people may opt to send to a subset of the list, don't see a problem with that.

I've always wondered how many cards get "lost in the mail" during the Christmas season.
                        Allan of the Grove

Comment

• elf
                          opinionated crone
                          • Sep 2006

I'm not sure I agree, Allan. There are, undoubtedly, people on the forum who don't wish to share their mailing addres, or alternatively, are willing to share it with people in a card exchange, but not beyond that subset.

Personally, I'd prefer that only people intending to participate get the list.

And other things, too.

Comment

• S/V Laura Ellen
                            • Oct 2003

Originally posted by elf
                            I'm not sure I agree, Allan. There are, undoubtedly, people on the forum who don't wish to share their mailing addres, or alternatively, are willing to share it with people in a card exchange, but not beyond that subset.

Personally, I'd prefer that only people intending to participate get the list.
                            elf:
                            I personally agree with your statement, I tend to treat all people the same. There are only a couple people on the Forum that I would not send a card to (unless the list got prohibitively big).
                            I sent you and Spin Drift a PM with a prototype of a web based system we can use next year.

Features:
                            • Only people that submit their address will have access to the information of others.
                            • You will only be able to change your own information
                            • The information would be downloaded in CSV format, can be saved or opened in any software that can read a CSV file
                            • E-mail from the web system can be sent to those that participate to remind people to update their info.
                            • The e-mails addresses will be kept private and will not be included in the download file.
                            • The information will be available all year and should be used for only the intended purpose (no advertising)

Please test the site and send me your comments (if there is something you don't like or doesn't work let me know).
                            Allan of the Grove

Comment

• elf
                              opinionated crone
                              • Sep 2006

What's a CSV file? I have a vague recollection that I've never been able to open one, and that the Mac-L hasn't been able to help.

And other things, too.

Comment

Working...