PDA

View Full Version : Joan Baez

Peerie Maa
12-08-2009, 06:46 PM
Just watched a documentary on the Beeb, part of the Imagine series. Seriously good telly.
Old footage, new interviews, lots of songs.

skuthorp
12-08-2009, 06:53 PM
One of my favourites as a young man, and now.

"Bring me a copper kettle,
bring me a copper coil.
Cover in new made corn mash
And never more you'll toil.

As you lay there by the riverside
While the moon shines bright
Watching those jugs a-filling
In the pale moonlight.

Not bad, I remember the words still, a great voice and talent.

John Smith
12-08-2009, 10:19 PM
One of the dilemmas of concerts is venue size. I've been to many concerts over the years and have enjoyed them all. However, when one goes to see a really big draw, like Elvis, who sold out Madison Square Garden for three shows and had to add a fourth, one is getting a performance in a basketball arena. 20,000 people.

The Beatles filled Shea Stadium, and I don't think they got the planes re-routed.

When one goes to a concert in a smaller place, it's a much better venue for a concert.

We have an outdoor auditorium in NJ where many concerts have been performed. That's kind of fun when the wind blows and the music is flying off the stands in the orchestra and being blown out among the crowd.

peter radclyffe
12-08-2009, 11:08 PM
seven bridges road
joe hill
farewell angelina
"will you all sing the battle hymn of the republic with me"
what a gift to earth joan baez is
i started hearing her in manningtree, essex in 1973

Lew Barrett
12-08-2009, 11:50 PM
I like/admire Joan Baez for all the music she popularized, for her early emergence as a dignified leader in both the civil rights and peace movements, and for her major league stature in the cultural/counter-cultural changes of the early sixties. with a

I feel about the same in respect to Judy Collins though, and suspect she was actually the better technical singer. Between them we were all exposed to a lot of good music, and it was more than just "the show." Talk about "reality entertainment".....they were real.

purri
12-09-2009, 06:21 AM
Phonie Joanie. Meh.
Joni Mitchell is it!

jonboy
12-10-2009, 06:51 AM
One of the dilemmas of concerts is venue size. ......

When one goes to a concert in a smaller place, it's a much better venue for a concert.

A couple of big venues have worked for me..but generally a thousand times better to see the gig in a small place...but why don't I learn...? Phil Collins in a football stadium.... could have been any one on stage but for the mega screen... little tiny dot in the distance.....Sting ditto.... better off staying at home and watching the vid...and save a small fortune....
Segovia in the music rooms of the BBC, I was nearly in his lap... that's the experience...Sonny Terry and Browny Magee in an upstairs room of a pub in Battersea... memorable...but the two best modern classical acoustic guitarrists playing through amps and a crap PA in a vast and freezing Barcelona cathedral....??? should have bought the cd and a bottle of vino.....much more fun.
Next time Diana Krall or Van the Man comes to Lisboa, someone please remind me not to go or or seal my wallet or something....there's always that ..'really should see Dylan Joni Joe Cocker before I croak' but at the price of today's concert tickets, fewer visits and there's a new Quad...

andrewe
12-10-2009, 12:26 PM
Joan Baez turned up here in Cognac last year. We went and had an excellent time. Not a large venue, but filled. Part of the annual Blues festival (but they do stretch a point) She was also celebrating her 50yrs as a singer.
Mentioned it to a couple of 20yr old children of a friend..."Who she?" Sigh.
A

Re Lisbon, Jonboy. We saw Paul Simon's 'Rythm of the Saints' there. The size of the Alvelade was not a problem, fantastic show. Like you, I prefer the CD and some wine, but somethings one just has to do.
A

jerryrichter
12-10-2009, 01:02 PM
My wife and I have seen her several times beginning in 1971 at an anit war benefit at UCLA. Most recently, in Philadelphia during her 50th anniversary tour last year. She came out on stage, and, when the applause ended said to the crowd, "Well, fifty years. I'm still doing this and you're still coming."
Great lady.

Rigadog
12-13-2009, 11:21 AM
"Please don't play love songs, you'll wake my mother.." Silver Dagger