PDA

View Full Version : Another of life's big disappointments

pefjr
12-08-2009, 06:04 PM
This morning entering the post office I looked through the window and saw a old white headed man walking up the steps. I thought, "That's what I will look like in 20 yrs."

At the top of the steps I realized it was not a window, it was a mirror. :(

Paul Pless
12-08-2009, 06:08 PM
rofl

Keith Wilson
12-08-2009, 06:13 PM
Hey, at least you're here to tell about it. As I always say, you may not like getting older, but it beats the alternatives!

Glen Longino
12-08-2009, 06:17 PM
:D You poor ole coot!

Phillip Allen
12-08-2009, 06:21 PM
delightfully funny...thanks

John Smith
12-08-2009, 07:12 PM
Hey, at least you're here to tell about it. As I always say, you may not like getting older, but it beats the alternatives!

As long as one doesn't outlive one's health or one's money, living longer is good. Otherwise, not always so good.

I do have a question about gray hair. Why does it almost always start in the beard and work its way up?

CharlieCobra
12-08-2009, 08:59 PM
Hell, mine started at my temple but rapidly caught up everywhere else...

McMike
12-08-2009, 09:04 PM

At what age? I started getting grey about two years ago (33). Hopeing it's not gonna go too fast.:eek:

Captain Blight
12-08-2009, 09:30 PM
This thread has the ironing.

I had a moment like that the other day; I've lost so much weight in recent months I don't even look like I remember myself. I look about 10 years younger than I feel like. Which has its appeal, one must admit.

Stiletto
12-09-2009, 11:45 PM
How did you achieve the weight loss Captain?

bobbys
12-10-2009, 12:32 AM
This morning entering the post office I looked through the window and saw a old white headed man walking up the steps. I thought, "That's what I will look like in 20 yrs."

At the top of the steps I realized it was not a window, it was a mirror. :(.

Good news for you.

You went to KFC and that was the Colonel you saw in the window!

brad9798
12-10-2009, 12:38 AM
I prefer to be on the top side of the dirt!

;)

Mad Scientist
12-10-2009, 12:44 AM
I was offered a 'senior's discount' when I was 39:eek:

As John Smith mentioned, the grey started in the beard and worked its way up. I think it has something to do with working outdoors a lot, although I can't prove it. The beard used to be a dark copper colour years ago...

Now it's a question of whether the hair 'up on top' turns grey before male pattern baldness gets it!

Tom

Old Sailor
12-10-2009, 07:35 AM
I'd rather see you than view you.
Old Sailor

John Smith
12-10-2009, 07:49 AM
You are unique. I'd like to say that's a good thing, but it's likely neither good or bad, just unique.

I started asking this question some time ago and haven't found an answer. Gray does almost always begin in the beard and work its way up.

Since this thread is here, maybe we could all add some of our life's disappointments, like the first time we bit into the ears of a chocolate bunny and discovered it was hollow.

John Smith
12-10-2009, 07:52 AM
I was offered a 'senior's discount' when I was 39:eek:

As John Smith mentioned, the grey started in the beard and worked its way up. I think it has something to do with working outdoors a lot, although I can't prove it. The beard used to be a dark copper colour years ago...

Now it's a question of whether the hair 'up on top' turns grey before male pattern baldness gets it!

Tom

My mom had a friend who always told her his beard was red. When he died and she and dad took on the task of cleaning out his apartment, I played Sherlock Holmes and looked into his electric razor. Sure enough, his beard was red.

capt jake
12-10-2009, 08:01 AM
I do have a question about gray hair. Why does it almost always start in the beard and work its way up?

Heck, mine started on my head. But it really didn't last long....as soon as it turned gray,......it fell out.....

Gonzalo
12-10-2009, 08:52 AM
Mine started at my temples when I was in my mid 20s. The gray in my beard came in much later. I had a dark, almost black beard when I shaved it in 1987 (age 36), but there was considerable gray at my temples. When I grew the beard again in 1994, I was amazed at how much gray there was in it, especially at my chin. It was still mostly dark when I shaved it again in 2005, but my hair was almost entirely gray by then. I haven't had a beard since, but the fine powder I clean out of my electric shaver is nothing but gray, almost white. I figure I could market it as fingerprint dusting powder.

hokiefan
12-10-2009, 10:08 AM
If I follow the family pattern I'll keep my hair and it will stay basically brown. Right now, at 49, its all there and mostly brown with a smattering of gray scattered throughout. I've never grown a beard, but when I shave its mostly brown. If I skip a few days on the weekend I see the same smattering of gray in the beard as on the head. My Dad kept his hair until he had radiation and chemo for lung cancer. I hope to avoid that by never having smoked.

Its the rest of the parts that are gonna go to pot. Currently its my right hip that needs some repair parts. Probably have the mechanic work on it in the next year or so.

Cheers,

Bobby

Popeye
12-10-2009, 10:13 AM
i change my oil and lube the chassis about every ten thousand miles

MiddleAgesMan
12-10-2009, 10:25 AM
The drug I've been taking since May has caused my hair to turn white--I prefer to call it blond but I can't get anyone to agree. In my case the new color looks much better than the old grayish-light brown-dirty blond in the before version. If anyone asks I tell them I've started coloring my hair. :)

bamamick
12-10-2009, 11:55 AM
I told my wife this exact thing this past weekend. I was in a store buying toothpaste and passed by a mirror, and the thing that always shocks me the most is not the 100 pounds that I have put on since high school, it's the fact that my hair has turned completely gray. Of course, it's being doing that since I was in my late 30's, but now, at 51, it is all the way there.

Of course, gray hair is nothing in comparison to the creaking knees and painful lower back. Oy vey! I sound like an old man, at least some of the time.

:)

Mickey Lake