PDA

View Full Version : Banana Nut Bread

paladin
12-08-2009, 03:50 PM
I've been working on a couple of mom's and Aunt Lillian's recipes and made some changes for my cookbook. This was finished last night so I made a batch. I have four mini loaf pans all connected together to make small personal loaves of bread. This recipe fit exactly into the four mini pans.....and it's good, at least to my taste. I let it sit in the fridge overnight, then took three of them to dialysis for the nurse and technicians on the shift.....

Ingredients

2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
1/2 tablespoon vanilla
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs, beaten
2 1/3 cups mashed bananas
1 cup pecan pieces

Directions

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Lightly grease mini loaf pans, either a four loaf, six, or eight loaf pan.

1. Whisk the flour, baking soda and salt together in a medium bowl.
2. In another bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar together until it is fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time. Beat in the bananas and nuts.
3. Add the flour mixture and mix just until moistened. Spoon the batter into the prepared loaf pans.
4. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow the bread to cool on a wire rack in the pans for 5 minutes before removing the loaves.

Enjoy

George Ray
12-08-2009, 05:15 PM
Yumm!

paladin
12-08-2009, 07:27 PM
:D:D actually...I had a bag of pecans but not walnuts...I used the last at Thanksgiving....wuz gonna make pralines, though, if that would help...? :D

brad9798
12-08-2009, 09:44 PM
The trick is to let the bananas get brown, mushy, even with fruit flies fluttering about ... and when the bananas begin to seap liquid banana juice into a bowl ...

Well ...

THAT is the time to use them for bread. When they are rotten (almost)!

paladin
12-08-2009, 09:49 PM
Yup...when they start to smell like model airplane glue.

brad9798
12-08-2009, 09:52 PM
Exactly, Chuck!!

You definitely know how to make banana bread! :D

htom
12-08-2009, 10:25 PM
When your bananas get to just the right ripeness, slip them into a quart ziplock bag, squash the air out, seal, and put in the freezer. Thaw in the refrigerator for a half-day, then warm on the counter. (I haven't figured out yet how to defrost them in the microwave.)

If your bananas are not yet ripe enough, put them in the hot oven for 10-20 minutes.

Sounds good, Chuck; do you toast the nuts?

paladin
12-09-2009, 04:16 AM
Sometimes...depending how much time I have....I usually bake stuff like this when I know I will have guests for the evening....I'm good for perhaps 2 hours a day of "socializing" and then I crash and burn....
I bake bread for myself as It's the preservatives in food that runs my chemistry off scale. I make some food 2-4 days ahead of time, then freeze it for "instant" meals. I make waffles, then divide them into ziplok bags for days when I have dialysis....and sourdough bread or rolls every 2-3 days. I have several recipes for "quick breads"....and one I'm making Friday is simple...sorta like a cinnamon roll bread. I use raisins in the middle of the roll...but I can't eat raisins.
Just left the turkey carcass in the slow cooker for 36 hours....along with some veggies to make a broth......so...will add some chikkin, lime juice, mushrooms, garlic/pepper sauce, a T or so of fish sauce and some lemon grass.....hot and sour soup......for lunch today......then save the rest of the broth to make stroganoff.......

Hollingsworth
12-09-2009, 03:15 PM
I thought bananas were on the no-no list for dialysis patients? (potassium)

paladin
12-09-2009, 03:38 PM
They are.....I make banana nut bread for the techs and nurse on my evening shift...there's only one nurse on staff and 4 techs or 5 techs depending on the case load.....only one nurse is a diabetic and I know when she's working so I take something else for her....I do this once a week.
There's a long list of no no's for dialysis so I have made my meals around the stuff I'm allowed.....
Nuts are also on the list as are raisins.....so sometimes I will make orange cranberry bread...oranges are on the no no list, but tangerines are allowed...I juice tangerines and use dried cherries with the cranberries...and it is surprisingly good....I'm building a cookbook of such things.