PDA

View Full Version : Pearl Harbor

bobbys
12-07-2009, 06:55 PM
Pearl Harbor.

As i wrote the thread was removed so i might as well thank the Vets that were there that day.

My neighbor who was an Adopted uncle to our family was there that day.

He was on the Dobbin which was in the path of the planes after they attacked the Arizona.

They could not get the guns out at first to return fire.

He said the Planes were the height of a telephone pole as they started there climb back up.

Said one Japanese pilot looked him in the eye and waved to him like it was a Sunday Picnic,

He waved back ., Both were helpless to fire on each other..

He had to recover the bodies after in the water and helped drag a 2 man sub they used.

He served the rest of the war in the Navy and was at every big sea battle and was the most decorated Vet in our town..

He passed 2 years ago, A big loss to our family and his.

He was in the National guard and was a Top Sergeant, He said many times on full dress uniform days many could not figure out his Decorations.

I think he had one that you could only get if you were at Pearl Harbor that day.

It was not the Pearl Harbor Medal itself , He got that one a few years ago.

I think it was something like a Battle star in a certain Ribbon or something really odd..

Thank you Gene Lambert you were our Hero.

Phillip Allen
12-07-2009, 06:58 PM
what happened to the other thread?

Glen Longino
12-07-2009, 07:02 PM
what happened to the other thread?

Either Bob deleted it or Scot deleted it. Let's start over!

The Bigfella
12-07-2009, 07:07 PM
RIP

bucheron
12-07-2009, 07:28 PM
Why would it be deleted? I missed it completely.

Glen Longino
12-07-2009, 07:34 PM
Why would it be deleted? I missed it completely.

It was a 7 legged baby with 3 heads and 4 livers. The mother and her doctor decided to abort it for the good of all concerned.
You're lucky you missed it!

Phillip Allen
12-07-2009, 07:40 PM
his opening line could simply have been ignored, Glen...

John Smith
12-07-2009, 07:49 PM
History is full of wars, most beginning with one military attacking another.

Doesn't say a lot for the human race.

I've often wondered if one did succeed in taking over the whole world, what would he do with it.

Glen Longino
12-07-2009, 07:51 PM

Not by me!
But let's not let it carry over to this thread, please.

Bob Adams
12-07-2009, 07:56 PM

I was wrong to incite, I admit. I remembered past comments regarding the attack and thought I would defuse them before they started. It had the opposite effect, and caused me my first Scotting (well I guess it was Scot) when the hateful, beligerant bilge dwellers started in. I returned fire. As it is, I'm glad as I shall now spend most of my time above deck.

Here's to remembering the victims and survivors.

J. Dillon
12-07-2009, 08:02 PM
http://www.pearlharbor.org/images/WVaBurning.jpg

Phillip Allen
12-07-2009, 08:10 PM
http://www.pearlharbor.org/images/WVaBurning.jpg

there are several pictures (of which this is one) which still give me pause and make me feel sad...even after all these years

I worked on Ford Island for two years and took the ferry back and forth when I wasn't on partol...(I think they have a bridge now). Many times I have stood on the deck and watched as we went past the old hulk...it made me sad

Bob Adams
12-07-2009, 08:15 PM
There is another famous picture with the tug Hoga, which I think that along with the Taney, berthed in Baltimore are the last ships still afloat that were in Pearl that day. The Hoga is still around, isn't she?

paladin
12-07-2009, 08:47 PM
When I sailed to Hawaii, I spent every day for two weeks going over the place, and getting a close up of the bullet holes in the barracks....No matter how hard I try...I can't feel sorry for Nagasaki and Hiroshima....I spent far less time in Japan than any Asian country. I adopted a half Japanese boy and he married a Japanese girl in college...he didn't know that he was Japanese.