PDA

View Full Version : Guitar queries

ShagRock
12-06-2009, 11:23 PM
I'm about to buy a new acoustic (or acoustic-electric). This week past I tried out several dozen. I was looking for something reasonable in the $400 range. I tried out ones in the $200 to $1800 range (the latter for comparison sake only). One that stood out in terms of 'feel right', intonation and overall sound was a Seagull S6 original with wild cherry body and cedar top. It was $370 on special (original $500). Anyone have any experience with or opinions on this brand and model?

I'd probably go with a guitar that 'feels right' first, even if I have to add a pickup later. Is this going to cost 'much more' than buying with pickup factory installed? Any suggestions on pickup brands or types would be helpful as well.

Wild Dingo
12-06-2009, 11:43 PM
mmm I dont know from nuthin... but when I was with Phil "the invisible man" Tar Debil down there in wherever the hell it was... I went to the local music store and checked out the Seagull range he had and man sweet as!! good geetar for the buck in my book... mmmm yeah I should bought the damned thing the guy offered to ship all four geetars back home for a song :cool: instead of what I did end up paying in gronicles legs and armpits :mad:

Seagulls good :cool: real good :cool:

I ended up picking up an Ibanez acustic electric for no where as much of a song... okay can we say FRIGGIN EXPENSIVE!!!... but hey I love the sound and I couldnt find seagull anywhere here... and the Maton I wanted was WAY OVER THE TOP price wise as was the Martin... so Ibanez it was :cool:

ripley699
12-06-2009, 11:54 PM
In that price range that is a good guitar. The ovations are nice also and play very easy.If the ovation is more than you want to spend then check out craigslist for a good used one ..if you are learning ,the ovation is a good one to learn on as it doesn't kill your fingers or finger tips .

The really nice ones can come a little later on
The seagull has a very nice sound to it ..

R

Chip-skiff
12-07-2009, 12:04 AM
If you will play unamplified, just get the guitar that feels and sounds best. I played some Seagull guitars that were pretty stunning, considering the price.

If you want to record, good microphones and studio technique will give you a better sound than any pickup. If you want to plug in occasionally to be heard at jam sessions or casual gigs, then a built-in pickup is the ticket.

I got an inexpensive Ibanez nylon-string fingerstyle guitar with a built-in pickup and tuner. Pretty cedar top and rather quiet, but it sounds brilliant plugged into a small amp.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2648/3988676257_798b217878_m.jpg

It's not a pro-quality sound, but it suits me well enough. Good couch guitar.

paladin
12-07-2009, 12:27 AM
Get what sounds good to your ear and fits the style you're looking for.....when I went acoustical hunting I went through the local high end guitar shops......and after picking a few strings, the feller asked what I was looking for....I told him...and his solution was to change the strings....I still wasn't quite there......I ended up with a high end Yamaha, and it sounds just so sweet....but I'm into 50-60 folk music.

Bruce Taylor
12-07-2009, 07:13 AM
One that stood out in terms of 'feel right', intonation and overall sound was a Seagull S6 original with wild cherry body and cedar top. It was $370 on special (original $500). Anyone have any experience with or opinions on this brand and model?

As I've said on this forum a couple of time, Seagulls are very impressive guitars for the price. I played a used S6 a few days ago (250 bucks at an Ottawa antique shop) and loved everything about it.

The cost of a pickup will depend on what you decide to install. You can hang a soundhole pickup easily, and it's not too hard to install a microphone or contact pickup (like the versatile Schatten Dualie, the McIntyre Feather, or one of the many little stick-on piezos) with the output jack in the tailblock. However, an under-saddle pickup with built-in preamp should be put in by a qualified guitar tech. Pickup prices vary enormously.