PDA

View Full Version : Frankenputer? Mac Mini HDD swap.

huisjen
12-06-2009, 08:42 PM
It looks like the hard drive in my old Mac Mini has died. All the things I want it for are available either online or in my old G3, which is in the garage, just in case. I have the Mac OS 10.3.7 install disks that came with the computer. If I get a new (used) hard drive, how hard will it be to put things back together such that I can still run my old (pre OS X) CAD program?

Dan

SchoonerRat
12-06-2009, 09:26 PM
Replacing the HD in an old Mini is a piece of cake. You can find instructions with pics online with a quick Google search. One word of caution. Not all drives will work in the Mini. Try to buy from a retailer that knows Macs.

Tom Galyen
12-06-2009, 09:43 PM
Also Dan,
You may want to go to www.maclife.com and get on the forum there. They have experts there that can answer you question about running your old copy of CAD on a new hard drive.

May I ask what company made the CAD program, is it AutoDesk?

elf
12-06-2009, 10:07 PM
If you need OS 9, don't go intel.

Tom Galyen
12-06-2009, 10:13 PM
While on a Mac binge here may I hijack this thread slightly and ask if anyone posts photos on this forum from Mobile Me? If so, how do you do it?

Chip-skiff
12-06-2009, 10:38 PM
I've swapped hard drives and RAM chips in my Mini. Tight quarters, but it worked out fine. I bought the hardware and consulted the excellent step-by-step directions from Other World Computing: http://www.macsales.com/

As far as the OS 9 CAD software, it might not work as-is. Quite a few of the older apps will not run under OS 10. But if there's a newer version of the CAD software, you can probably load that and convert your files to the new format.

I love my Mac! Good Luck.

Canoez
12-06-2009, 10:50 PM
I've swapped hard drives and RAM chips in my Mini. Tight quarters, but it worked out fine. I bought the hardware and consulted the excellent step-by-step directions from Other World Computing: http://www.macsales.com/

As far as the OS 9 CAD software, it might not work as-is. Quite a few of the older apps will not run under OS 10. But if there's a newer version of the CAD software, you can probably load that and convert your files to the new format.

I love my Mac! Good Luck.

And Other World Computing has got to have the best tutorials on changing hardware that I've seen anywhere.

huisjen
12-07-2009, 11:30 AM
Well, I know 10.3 works with this old program. After that there is not back compatablility to OS9 programs.

This is the Mini that took a lightning induced power surge to the modem about a year and a half ago. I found that it was simpler to get the new MacBook running 10.5, but the one program I found I really missed and couldn't transfer was this CAD program. It's Ashlar Drawing Board v. 1.0, copyright 1992, for which I paid a whole $29 closeout. It's not AutoCAD. Some of the functions are a bit basic. But for what I use it for, it's simple and effective. The menus don't crowd the screen, leaving no room for the actual drawing. Faced with buying a really unknown and untried new CAD program for between $250 and $1250, I'd really like to stick with this one.

Dan

Nicholas Carey
12-07-2009, 02:16 PM
It looks like the hard drive in my old Mac Mini has died. All the things I want it for are available either online or in my old G3, which is in the garage, just in case. I have the Mac OS 10.3.7 install disks that came with the computer. If I get a new (used) hard drive, how hard will it be to put things back together such that I can still run my old (pre OS X) CAD program?

Dan10.4 (tiger) killed of support of 'classic'. 10.6 (Snow Leopard, I believe, kills of support for PowerPC).

I don't know what CAD software you're using, but you might want to take a look at current CAD offerings for OS X.

Punch! Software bought the rights to Concept 3D's kernel. They have produced ViaCad with it. The 2D version is about $39; the 3D version is $99. TurboCad is also available as well at similar pricepoints.

For 3D modelling and animation, there's Cheetah 3D at $149.

OS X CAD news is covered at http://architosh.com/

huisjen
12-07-2009, 04:29 PM
"There's a new band in town
but 'ya can't get the sound
from a story in a magazine..."

Okay, ViaCad can be had for $29 on Ebay. I can't make heads or tails of all the stuff at architosh.com. I need a demo version.

Dan

huisjen
12-17-2009, 12:31 PM
I got ViaCAD 2D for $24. It'll do. It's not that far from my old program: Ashlar DrawingBoard 1.0, but with a few more bells and whistles. I've got most of what I need it for figured out already, I think.

Dan

katey
12-17-2009, 01:08 PM
Don't count on that G3 in the garage ever booting up again. Another one of Dana's efforts:

www.harddrivesdie.com