PDA

View Full Version : Homemade ice cream.....

paladin
12-06-2009, 01:31 PM
The old joke among serious off shore sailors was by what do you guage the most important thing aboard.......and the standard answer was whatever you could trade at sea for a gallon of peach ice cream.
I'm not a fan of peach ice cream...I like plain vanilla, but never had the room aboard for an ice cream maker. Although I knew several people that had one aboard.....
As with every traveler, you're gonna have guests aboard...most just travelers like yourself, but periodically folks that just can't quite understand how you can travel with such austerity.
On one of my many trips to Tahiti...to Moorea to be exact, I had occasion to have the port captain call. I met him on the quay and we had our pleasantries, and he asked me about my friends and how things were going on the house. Subsequently I invited him to dinner aboard, he and his wife.
I had the large prawns, still frozen in the cooler and much else that I had loaded aboard when I left Guam. I prepared the dinner, salads, soup...the works.....and made decadent brownies with chocolate mint chips inside...but wanted something more elegant.....Ice cream was the first thing that crossed my mind.
In Tahiti, ice cream was not much more than frozen milk....not especially good....in the days long before Dairy Queen reached the islands......I tried to borrow and ice cream maker, but none of the boats in the harbor seemed to have one, any other time and everyone would have one stashed......the next thing was the ingredients..
I found an old recipe that didn't use eggs and which would work...but what about the freezer...I had ice and a simple refrigeration but nothing that cold....
An hour or two before my guests arrival....I started an experiment....
First I mixed the cream...the recipe called for whipping cream and half and half.......I had neither.......
My mom, long ago would never buy whipping cream. She would chill a dish, chill some Milnot condensed milk, and whip it.........O.K....that might work.......
What is half and half......but regular milk and a bit of cream...what is cream.....whipped butter?.......I had several packs of unsalted butter, purchased by accident, as salted keeps much better in the bilge without refrigeration.......
So.........first the recipe
1 box powdered sugar
4 teaspoons vanilla
1 12 oz can Milnot condensed milk
5 cups milk
5 T melted butter, cooled, then whipped with the milk....
whisk all ingredients together, really well......

Then....pour the mix into a 2 qt. jar with a tight seal....in my case I had several 1 and 2 qt stainless steel containers with screw on lids for various things.....
Then in a stew pot, I mixed cracked/chipped ice and rock salt, about 2 inches in the bottom, set the 2 qt container in, then packed the ice/salt around the sides and top, closed the lid...then started shaking it...15 minutes or so....waited a minute or two, then again....opened it to inspect and it was almost like soft serve.....
I kept it up for a while longer...then the guests arrived....I placed the container down into the cooler and placed the ice blanket on top....
We had dinner, apparently enjoyed by all......then I made coffee, and prepared for dessert.....I served the coffee, sat the brownies in a dish.....then retrieved the "ice cream"...
I shook the pot for a few minutes with my guests thinking I was probably a bit daft...but when I opened the container.....it was like very rigid soft serve.......and the guests really liked it....