PDA

View Full Version : Fantastic things(a drum)

ishmael
12-05-2009, 12:13 PM
I had it down off the bookcase and was looking at it. I bought it for five bucks at the flea market maybe twenty years ago. African, I think. It's really beautiful, the hides still with a bit of fur, obviously hand made, slightly bigger than a five pound can of coffee, slightly smaller than a snare drum. Hide lacing tying the two heads together in tight spacing all around the body. Five bucks. I'll bet it took a few days to make. And, the topper, it's got a very nice voice.

Remember the men's movement? "Iron John?" I was in the thick of that when I bought it. Get a bunch of men going wild with drums and it's quite a scene. LOL.

Most of my favorite things were picked up for next to nothing at flea markets. I've got a splay back chair. A one piece pine seat, maple or birch in the legs and back with just a few turnings. For what it is, a simple wooden chair, it's remarkably comfortable, as if the person who made it without plan had already sat in it in the mind's eye before building it.

Paul Pless
12-05-2009, 12:35 PM
Get a bunch of men going wild with drums and it's quite a scene.especially if hippie chicks show up to dance