PDA

View Full Version : Let's control the Cash Flow !

ripley699
11-28-2009, 11:35 PM
I have had occasion to buy a money order or a bank check from time to time,,,perhaps once every 2-3 months.
As of this week, you can't buy them anymore unless you have an account with the bank and the money must flow through your account...
Obviously an attempt to control the underground dollar..
I want to say "and so it begins " but to be more accurate ,how bout "here comes more government"

RIP

JBreeze
11-28-2009, 11:45 PM
You might be right. On the other hand, I think the post office still sells money orders, and WalMart was selling western union money orders at the customer service desk.

My guess is the banks used to make money off the "float", but with interest rates so low, they aren't very profitable.

elf
11-28-2009, 11:50 PM
Funny how the neo-cons on the list always assume the government is the guilty party, when a good part of the time it's the business sector.

The Bigfella
11-29-2009, 12:07 AM
Gee whiz, I wonder what the underground dollar is? Does it include tax evasion dollars. Damn good idea to stamp that out.... tax cheats are just thieving off their fellow humans. If everyone paid their taxes, they could be lower for everyone.

ripley699
11-29-2009, 12:43 AM
Big Guy you are correct. It would be great if everybody paid the taxes they owe..be easier on everyone else.I use the money order or bank check so i have a receipt when i buy large ticket items by mail order.this way I have a receipt and I don't have to wait for checks to clear ..all above board. I will ask the branch manager this week ..

shamus
11-29-2009, 01:03 AM
I expect that this probably is a government initiative, if it's anything like Oz. Here you can still buy a money order for small amounts with no problems, but once a certain threshold is reached you need photo ID, and your name, address and ID details are recorded. This is a recent government initiative under the auspices of the counter terrorism and anti-money laundering bureaucracy.