Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cheilert23
    • Oct 2009

Rookie refinishing a 16' runabout

I have a 16ft lapstrake runabout which has been sanded to remove all the previous paint. I am now faced with soft areas the size of lemons (5 total areas) along the keel and transom which I suspect are rot. I am interested in learning what the best method for dealing with this would be. The planking is marine plywood (3 layers) at 3/8" thick.

I have been told to treat everything with CPES and fill the damaged areas with Expoy Filler.

How much of the soft/damaged wood do I need to dig out?

How and at what point should I cut out the damaged plywood and replace? Would that utilize butt blocks?

Any help would be appreciated.
  • Peerie Maa
    Old Grey Inquisitive One
    • Oct 2008

Re: Rookie refinishing a 16' runabout

Can you post some photos of where the damage is in relation to the plank width or ends? Photos will help us to proffer better advice.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Comment

• Thorne
      Like my hat?
      • Aug 2005

When I asked here (and at Smith & Co. in Richmond ), the advice was to use a wire brush and remove **all** the soft material. aka "rot".

At that stage you can tell if you have shallow divots to fill with fairing compound, or need to epoxy in a shaped patch of wood (aka "Dutchman").

If just a divot, I used Smith's CPES to penetrate as much of the remaining soft wood that wouldn't brush out, then filled the shallow spots with Smith's Fill-It 2-part fairing compound, with paint over that when it all cured. I use the Smith's products because they make it in my hometown, but you can use whatever you prefer and can get good technical advice about (not sales pap).

If you need to cut out the damaged area and replace it, others here can give much better advice than I can for ply repairs.

Be SURE to use **marine ply**, which you may be able to get in small pieces for free or at a low cost from nearby boatbuilders.
      "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
      Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Comment

• Elcoholic
        Striving for mediocrity !
        • Apr 2004

I would cut out everything that seems "soft." The old ice pick rule of thumb may still be the best. Test your ice pick on good wood. Then, any place that is less resistant should be removed. Cut back about 2" from the soft areas. Butt blocks are a must when piecing-in. All cuts, butt blocks and new wood should be treated with CPES...2 coats and screwed in tight, using copius 3M 5200 so that you get "squoze" coming out everywhere, which, after it completely cures, is removed with a multi-master, using the "putty knife blade," sanded fair and primed.

By the way, the term "squoze," that which has been squeezed out, is an original word, invented by me, that may not be used without my expressed written permission! Trespassers will be violated! Mail requests to [email protected].
        "Crustaceans and Libations"

Comment

• Candyfloss
          • Apr 2009

By the way, the term "squoze," that which has been squeezed out, is an original word, invented by me, that may not be used without my expressed written permission! Trespassers will be violated! Mail requests to [email protected]. __________________

This is not so.

"So to the ceiling Piglet rose,
          While Owl & Pooh said "oh" & "hum",
          And where the letters always come, he squoze
          First his head and then his toes."

A.A. Milne.
          Keep It Simple: KISS it better.

Comment

• Elcoholic
            Striving for mediocrity !
            • Apr 2004

Oh bother! Another obvious case of great minds thinking alike. I defer to A.A. Milne and the literary expertise of Candyfloss.
            “We can't all, and some just don't. That's all there is to it.”

Comment

• cjp1063
              • Aug 2008

That was funny!!!!!

Comment

Working...