PDA

View Full Version : The Wide, Wide World of Weird......

seanz
11-24-2009, 08:26 PM
Straight British couple fight for civil partnership
November 25, 2009 - 10:00AM

A straight British couple who reject marriage but want to seal their love with a civil partnership were told on Tuesday they could not because they are not gay.
Tom Freeman and Katherine Doyle, both 25-year-old civil servants, were turned away from Islington Registry Office in north London because the law says civil partnerships - introduced in Britain in 2005 - are only for same-sex couples.
Undeterred, the couple said they will take their fight for equality to court.
"We want to secure official status for our relationship in a way that supports the call for complete equality and is free of the negative connotations of marriage," Mr Freeman said.
"If we cannot have a civil partnership, we will not get married."
A spokesman for Islington Council said: "The law dictates that a civil partnership is only for couples of the same sex. The council must follow the law."
There are a small number of differences between a marriage and a civil partnership, including that a marriage can be conducted in a church, while a civil partnership cannot.
AFP

http://www.theage.com.au/national/straight-british-couple-fight-for-civil-partnership-20091125-jp75.html

Phillip Allen
11-24-2009, 08:28 PM
(sigh) (wagging my head now)

Concordia...41
11-24-2009, 08:31 PM
Good example of 'just when you think it can't get any weirder...'

It does raise some interesting legal issues though.

- M

Phillip Allen
11-24-2009, 08:34 PM

- M

it appears that some sort of exclusivity was being aimed for...sorta like saying ("I got something YOU can't have!")

seanz
11-24-2009, 08:39 PM
Probably (or easily) the reverse Phillip.
UK govt cancels all civil partnerships and only a minority is affected?

WX
11-24-2009, 08:43 PM
One would think they would have made the law across the board, that is cover all persuasions.

ripley699
11-24-2009, 09:00 PM
If gays are to be allowed to have a "civil union" then i should be able to marry my dog .

WX
11-24-2009, 09:02 PM
If gays are to be allowed to have a "civil union" then i should be able to marry my dog .
And how is that remotely logical..or relevant?

seanz
11-24-2009, 09:05 PM

Won't that make the goat jealous?

WX
11-24-2009, 09:12 PM
:D:D:D

Phillip Allen
11-25-2009, 09:49 AM

funny (depends on what breed though)

jonboy
11-25-2009, 10:37 AM
I have been trying to get my inclinations for necrophilia bestiality and sadism recognised for years.... my partner says I'm flogging a dead horse P. Cooke (?)

Mrleft8
11-25-2009, 10:53 AM
I know a straight couple who got a civil union in San Francisco when that law was enacted... Made perfect sense.

David Tabor (sailordave)
11-26-2009, 07:53 AM

- M

Buddy of mine and his GF live together. Not in their financial interests to get married. (she gets a ton of alimony from her cheating ex) HE can't get health care through her work b/c they aren't married. He could get it if they were a gay couple and she declared him her "life partner". WTF?:confused:

A woman I work w/ is listed as the "partner" of her lesbian friend so she can use the buddy passes on the airline her friend works for. She's NOT gay, but it's an arrangement. Guess it could be construed as fraud.:eek:

bucheron
11-26-2009, 08:05 AM
How about abolishing all reference to marriage and "unions" in all legislation?

Every person should be treated as an individual, with their own individual obligations to support the children they have conceived, and to honour any contracts they may make as informed adults, without the form of that relationship being specified by the state.

If any couples, or triples, or other multiples, want to make some sort of declaration about their relationship and call it "marriage" that is fine. If marriage is such a wonderful thing, surely it will confer its own benefit, without some legislative bias toward it by the state.

Elf, member 12650, I think you made a suggestion of this sort once. I seek your support in this.