PDA

View Full Version : Rat trapper

bobbys
11-21-2009, 12:12 AM
Last week went to my chain saw shed and opened the door.

Dirty rats jumped all around as i upset there evil little party.

Ok you guys wanna piece of me you came to the wrong shed.

Armed only with old fashioned wood rat traps due to lack of suitable employment at the present time i started my pre emptive strike.

I screwed the wood traps on old fence boards.

To incite the devils i used creamy JIFF as i have personally tested this brand and find it most satisfactory.

Each day for 4 days i have caught a Rat bringing my score up to 4 so far.

I have a fear of Rats and spiders and sometimes dream of DR NO covering me with them to expel secrets.

But i pressed on despite my anxiety.

I know its mean but the trap went so fast on one he was froze in mid lick eyes wide open and i laughed most heartily like a demented serial killer.

Now the decision?.

Should i throw the carcass in mean Mrs Jones yard or mean Mr Smiths front porch?.

Tempting yes,but no sense angering the rat gods so i buried them without a word of scripture to send them on to eternity..

The fellow at the hardware store said glue traps work but that sounds a bit mean to die slow on a glue board.

Well they were 5 bucks and there a one use only so nix snaid that idea..

Have not resorted to poison yet as i dont want them going into holes and stinking things up..

Low teck but effective, I think i will disarm the traps for awhile yet spread the Jiff around for a few days so they throw caution to the winds.

Paul Girouard
11-21-2009, 12:20 AM
Low teck but effective, I think i will disarm the traps for awhile yet spread the Jiff around for a few days so they throw caution to the winds.

Bad idea, just keep trapping them. Dirty lil buggers!

Chip-skiff
11-21-2009, 01:09 AM
We had a packrat (aka bushy-tailed woodrat) in the space above the downstairs ceiling. Constant bumps in the night. Pulled off some bad sheathing and the boxed-in spaces were packed with leaves, twigs, and ratcrap. I cleaned that up, figured out where it had gotten in, and armored the holes with metal flashing.

I had to pull off several ceiling tiles and set a live trap (one of those wire cage thingies) to nab it. Cute little thing.

Took it for a ride downcountry and released it near the big house of a land developer. Sweets for the sweet.

I ran a vacuum wand in the space between floors to get the scat out, put new insulation on the perimeter, and replaced the ceiling tiles. I still have a day of work to replace the sheathing on a boxed area under the deck where the rat got in.

One packrat = three days of work.

Best of luck with your trap line.

seanz
11-21-2009, 01:10 AM
OK.........I googled 'Jiff' and found that 'Jif' is peanut butter.

All I know is that mice aren't choosey about which PNB they have as their last meal.......I'll remember to go gourmet if we ever go rat trapping.

pcford
11-21-2009, 01:46 AM
OK.........I googled 'Jiff' and found that 'Jif' is peanut butter.

Nasty stuff too. Large percentage is grease. Nasty stuff. Those with taste, like yours truly, prefer Adams peanut butter.

WAIT A MINUTE...I'm talking to a person from a nation that consumes Vegemite.

You may like Jif.

seanz
11-21-2009, 02:57 AM
Nasty stuff too. Large percentage is grease. Nasty stuff. Those with taste, like yours truly, prefer Adams peanut butter.

WAIT A MINUTE...I'm talking to a person from a nation that consumes Vegemite.

You may like Jif.
:p

I almost certainly would not like Jif. I like my peanut butter to be peanuts that have been hit lightly with a hammer and then stuffed struggling into a jar.

Though there is one time I'll eat oily peanuts.......and if someone ever baits a trap with Gado-gado, I'm a goner fer sure.
:D

David W Pratt
11-21-2009, 11:35 AM
What about parking a running lawnmower, or equivalent, and closing the door?
CO should kill em.

paladin
11-21-2009, 12:30 PM
a 5 gallon slick plastic bucket, with a hole just large enough for them to get in, with a couple handfuls of birdseed in the bottom....and stack a couple of sandbags or something so that they can crawl up to the top of the lid and drop in.....and they can't climb out......caught a dozen or so one winter that way...got the whole dang family 2-3 at a time.....

Nicholas Carey
11-21-2009, 12:37 PM
Put a good working dog to work. Get a ratter -- Jack Russell and Staffordshire Terriers are bred for ratting.

pcford
11-21-2009, 12:46 PM
Put a good working dog to work. Get a ratter -- Jack Russell and Staffordshire Terriers are bred for ratting.

Staffordshire Terriers=pit bull

Also they will rid your neighborhood of that pesky old lady up the street. ....and eat her face off for good measure.

Paul Pless
11-21-2009, 12:57 PM
Put a good working dog to work. Get a ratter -- Jack Russell and Staffordshire Terriers are bred for ratting.Staffordshire Terriers are not ratters...

Staffordshire Terriers=pit bull

Also they will rid your neighborhood of that pesky old lady up the street. ....and eat her face off for good measure.> :rolleyes:

Bob Triggs
11-21-2009, 03:14 PM
If you use poison you will be putting more poison into our environment, adversely affecting non target species. Disposed poison eventually works its way into groundwater. Bad idea. But if you use a trap, try to use a "Have-A-Heart" type, live trap. That way you can simply drop rat and trap and all into a big bucket or barrell of water for five minutes. Works fast and quiet. Totally immerse the rat and trap underwater quickly. This is a better death than lying in a trap with a broken back for hours on end. Just a thought.

seanz
11-21-2009, 06:43 PM
I know a bloke that used to humanely trap weasels and stoats......and then very humanly blast them with a shotgun.

SamSam
11-21-2009, 06:51 PM
You have a shed for your chainsaw? Is it a little shed or a big saw?

Tom Galyen
11-21-2009, 06:56 PM
I have heard of the barrel or bucket of water trick. The one I saw had a narrow board on it with a piece of cotton dabbed with peanut butter nailed on the end, and balanced so it would tip up when the rat or mouse would get to the end.

Plop off into the water to become a drowned rat, and the board returned to it normal position to await its next victim.

Rats and mice are uncommonly smart and will learn from each other, which is why poison does not work for very long. They learn not to eat what killed their comrades, so you have to keep coming up with new concoctions. The barrel or bucket works much better.

coelacanth2
11-21-2009, 09:24 PM
Use some RV antifreeze instead of H2O. Pickles the little buggers, can thus leave trap working for longer without fear of interesting odors tipping off future "customers".

Mrleft8
11-21-2009, 09:34 PM
Thank god they weren't clean rats! Imagine the horror! ;)
Rats don't usually get stuck in traps that other rats got stuck in..... Learned that tip from a professional rat killer.

pefjr
11-24-2009, 05:06 PM
I had a similar problem with mice in my storage in Idaho. Traps are best. I laid their bodies on a stump. The bodies were gone by morning. I tried the glue strips but didn't get even one.