PDA

View Full Version : Anybody been to Nicaragua?

Mrleft8
11-20-2009, 09:00 AM
Thinking about Corn Island, or Little Corn Island for a couple weeks in the coldest part of the year.
And No Chuck, I don't mean as a paid "consultant" :D

Tylerdurden
11-20-2009, 09:08 AM
I could guide for you for a fee. Guarantee you would see it like no other tourist. ;)

Actually my advice is travel with a group, safety in numbers.

Mrleft8
11-20-2009, 09:26 AM
I could guide for you for a fee. Guarantee you would see it like no other tourist. ;)

Actually my advice is travel with a group, safety in numbers.

The idea, aside from getting warm, is to avoid numbers of people. If I'm going to surround myself with people I already know, I might as well stay home, and turn up the heat. I don't travel to the Caribbean to see Germans, Brits, Canadians, or (least of all) Americans. I go there to meet Caribbeans (Caribbeaners?). Apparently the Corn Islanders are descendants of Carib/ Moskito indians and Scottish "pirates", with a smattering of African shipwreck survivors.

Keith Wilson
11-20-2009, 09:35 AM
Anybody been to Nicaragua?Yes, but it was too long ago to be of any help, and I never went east. The Corn Islands are up from Bluefields, right? Sounds like fun. Do you speak Spanish at all?

Tylerdurden
11-20-2009, 09:35 AM
I still have friends down there, I will push an e-mail asking about your question. Last I heard its not safe in many areas.
I haven't been there in many years myself.

Mrleft8
11-20-2009, 09:39 AM
Yes, but it was too long ago to be of any help, and I never went east. The Corn Islands are up from Bluefields, right? Sounds like fun. Do you speak Spanish at all?

Si! Donde esta la banjo?:o Uno cervesa por favor!:) Uno Mas cervesa por favor!:D Donde esta mi casa?:confused:
But according to one website almost everyone there speaks english.

Paul Pless
11-20-2009, 09:41 AM
But according to one website almost everyone there speaks english.that sorta takes some of the fun out of your conversational spanish...

Tylerdurden
11-20-2009, 09:44 AM
Si! Donde esta la banjo?:o Uno cervesa por favor!:) Uno Mas cervesa por favor!:D Donde esta mi casa?:confused:
But according to one website almost everyone there speaks english.

This is true up to a point. If I had to move around there its a needed bolt in my quiver.

paladin
11-20-2009, 10:34 AM
Go behind a tree....whassat? gotta headache?

Little Corn Island was/is formerly a CIA and DEA landing site for various aircraft traveling to/from the U.S. and other
Latin American countries...

JimD
11-20-2009, 10:46 AM
Was in Nica twice in the 80s. Had lots of Misquito freinds. Most spoke English quite well. Haven't been to Corn Islands but I'd imagine its only nominally Nicaragua (latino) at least in terms of culture. I'd go tomorow if I could. Can't imagine why you'd have to take any extra precautions apart from the usual rich tourist in a poor land variety. Looks beautiful:

http://www.bigcornisland.com/images/beach.jpg

And look! They even have a tourist office:

http://www.bigcornisland.com/sitebuilder/images/touristoffice-187x250.jpg

http://www.bigcornisland.com/

Mrleft8
11-20-2009, 11:09 AM
Go behind a tree....whassat? gotta headache?

Little Corn Island was/is formerly a CIA and DEA landing site for various aircraft traveling to/from the U.S. and other
Latin American countries...

More likely Big (Great) Corn Island. Little Corn doesn't have a landing strip.... Doesn't have a road for that matter, just a path. They got a police man a few years back though.:D

JimD
11-20-2009, 11:13 AM
.... Doesn't have a road for that matter, just a path. They got a police man a few years back though.:D

His main job is to direct traffic on the path, which can get pretty backed up during rush hour. Its a good thing there aren't any cars.

Mrleft8
11-20-2009, 11:20 AM
Until I here back my advice is to look like a bum and dispense with valuables. No point in being a target. Robbery is common place these days there.

That should be pretty easy. I already look like a bum, and I have no valuables.

paladin
11-20-2009, 11:20 AM
Little Corn Island had/has a "landing strip".....all 1500 feet of it.....but with the right aircraft you need less than 1000 feet.....all dirt/grass...easier on tires. Big Corn Island has too many ...people.....eyes...

C. Ross
11-20-2009, 02:38 PM
I was in Nicaragua for 10 days in the early 80s. Never got to the east coast, only Managua, Leon, Masaya and the Pacific coast. If you can swing a visit to Masaya, do it. Masaya Volcano National Park is pretty spectacular, and Masaya is a great crafts town with a beautiful city square and marketplace. Can't remember the place we went on the Pacific coast, but I remember big fat garlic shrimp, body surfing, and many Nica Libres with good Nicaraguan rum and Pepsi made with sugar cane.

At least in the early 80s the infrastructure was pretty good, and a decent-sized middle class, and there were pleasant cheap restaurants and bars.

I also showed up in a front page photo in La Prensa in a giant crowd listening to a speech by Daniel Ortega, but that's a different story. ...

Mrleft8
11-21-2009, 09:25 AM
A friend in the book biz took a 2-week eco-vacation there, but he's one of those whacky birders, and he and his wife spent the whole time climbing mountains looking for certain birds. He brought back some astounding photos, and had no problems with bad guys.

On Corn Island?......Or Nicaragua in general? From what I've heard, the East coast of Nicaragua is different from the rest of the country, and the Islands are even more different. So much so that the islanders call main land Nicaraguans "Spanish"...

elf
11-21-2009, 11:46 AM
Back in '82 a housemate of mine had a friend down there growing organic coffee.

He shipped some to her.

That was the end of tea for me.

C. Ross
11-21-2009, 12:03 PM
On Corn Island?......Or Nicaragua in general? From what I've heard, the East coast of Nicaragua is different from the rest of the country, and the Islands are even more different. So much so that the islanders call main land Nicaraguans "Spanish"...

Like two different countries. The east is not ranched or farmed like the west. Not that the "Spanish" part is bad...I really liked it.