PDA

View Full Version : Steve Miller band

ishmael
11-19-2009, 02:51 PM
Been digging through stuff in preparation for a possible move and have been rooting through tapes I haven't listened to in years. I came across this greatest hits tape.

Man, what a tight band! Some interesting writing, too. A carrier of rock and roll. Buddy Holly would have recognized it. Very brash. That bass line, punctuated with voice and drums and lead guitar, but always the bass.

TimH
11-19-2009, 02:57 PM
my fav

The Steve Miller Band "Wild Mountain Honey" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh_0oaJcMgY)

boylesboats
11-19-2009, 02:59 PM
man... I haven't heard any old "Silver Bullet" music for quite some time..

TimH
11-19-2009, 03:04 PM
And

Steve Miller Band - True Fine Love (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g14BtNDlKUU&feature=related)

Somehow I feel 30 years younger :)

brad9798
11-19-2009, 07:28 PM
I LOVE Glen Miller!

Oh crap ... nevermind! :eek:

Jim Ledger
11-19-2009, 07:37 PM
Pompatus of love?

Really love your peaches wanna shake your tree?

An I doooooon't wan na be caught up in any a that.....funky sh$t goin down in the city.

That Steve Miller?

Lord, take me now. Smite me quick before the next song starts.

ripley699
11-19-2009, 09:03 PM
I was in college: 1970,vice pres of ABC in N.Y. was in Boston to open wrko and hang around for a few years to oversee.He was my professor,,,Don Azars.
He wanted to do a new t.v. show in Boston ..not a new style but a new show.One Saturday we [mass communications majors ] went to wrko studios and filmed a "hullabaloo "style music show.
I was there as a "favorite student ,I had just finished interviewing "The Who " for a radio show i was doing
[yes ,keith moon too ]
our music for the day was Steve Miller band,,including Boz Scaggs,his lead guitar player at the time ..we had a great time with steve & Boz and the guys in studio ,also Jesse winchester played and it took all day to film a half hour show ,,but what memories .I got to personally meet so many groups and players...Sam the Sham,the turtles,[I took them to a drive in movie ]
tommy James and the shondells ,the buckinghams , the royal guardsmen,the fifth dimension,the who, the association,3 dog night ,Donovan..it was a very interesting time.
i had to call a radio station not too long ago for some info and because of my voice ,the secretary wouldn't put me through to the D.J. until i told her the name of the radio/T.V. station that I was an announcer for .i could not convince her that i was not working for any station at the time I finally told her the name of a studio in another state just to get her to put me through.
Any way,i got to hang out with steve miller and boz scaggs for the day ,,many days with the turtles and others:not my claim to fame but it was fun.

JimD
11-19-2009, 09:24 PM
Old guys listening to the old music always makes me want to throw up and slap them.

ishmael
11-19-2009, 09:26 PM
Ripley,

It's kinda cool to hand it with the famous for a few hours. I've never done a lot of it, but the little I have made me realize how much they are just guys and gals, like everyone else. My favorite story of meeting people with that persona was playing football on the set of Police Woman with Angie Dickenson's co-star Earl Holliman. He was just a guy who stood up well in front of a camera. A nice guy.

ripley699
11-19-2009, 09:28 PM
Thats okay ; we prolly deserve it !!!!!They are MY memories and i will save them,take them to the grave as a comfort

ripley699
11-19-2009, 09:39 PM
ISH,
That is all it is ....
Steve miller plays guitar better than me ...DUH ?
I have been in a band since i was 13 ...a drummer .
last 40 years a guitar player and 6-7 other instruments
Its all good ..... No one should get into the music business expecting to make a living ,,,,but,,,when it happens ,it happens BIG
What a long strange trip its been !
Rip

Pugwash
11-19-2009, 09:46 PM
If you meet them on the way up, it's usually fine craic.

Any other time it can be depressing.

:)

PatCox
11-19-2009, 10:13 PM
Ripley, did it hit for you? Are you famous, unbeknownst to us?

When I was in high school in the 70s, Steve Miller was the biggest thing, Fly Like an Eagle, my favorite was Big Old Jet Airliner, Take the Money and Run, I would not by any stretch call it old time rock and roll, too laid back, somehow, I don't know, somehow, postured, he seemed somehow just a little fake to me even then, and the lyrics sometimes made me cringe, but yes, they still bring back memories.

Music brings back the most vivid memories to me, and a sense of dislocation, hey, I heard this when I was 17, I am hearing it now, why am I not 17 anymore?

My "big night," my first real sexual experience, when it happened, the song that was playing was Blondie's "Atomic," its painful to hear it, it so completely transports me back to that night.

ripley699
11-19-2009, 10:27 PM
No, I stayed out of it...most who go into the business end up drunken failures so i thought it might be wise to seek other endeavors..i was a sessions drummer for a recording studio when i was 19 ..other than that the only thing I ever did was to emcee a PP&M concert ..I am now 58 and still alive [some days i have to check ,before i get out of bed ]
This is why I have said that,believe it or not ,Glen Cambell was one of the very best guitarists in the country...been there ,I have the T-Shirt ...someone disagreed with me but thats okay ,,,,I was there....
some claim they were there ...I was .....