PDA

View Full Version : how many get songs stuck in their heads?

Phillip Allen
11-19-2009, 09:09 AM
I tend to walk around singing snatches from my latest ear-worm sometimes for days...

"Ooh Mary doncha weep for me..."

Uncle Duke
11-19-2009, 09:37 AM
Thanks for "earworm", which turns out to be the proper name for that!

I have that problem. Usually it's a good song, at least at the start, but after about the 4th hour I definitely sour on it. The only pro-active cure is to replace it with something else, a mixed blessing at best.

Nice write-up on it here (http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2901/why-do-songs-get-stuck-in-your-head).

Tylerdurden
11-19-2009, 09:41 AM
Cure for earworm, Play at loudest possible volume with all the windows in the house open.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXiFuU7X_Fo

Nicholas Scheuer
11-19-2009, 09:42 AM
Oh, yes.

Mrleft8
11-19-2009, 09:52 AM
Yeah..... Right now I have "Beat on the brat (with a baseball bat)" stuck in my head, and it won't come out....

Phillip Allen
11-19-2009, 09:56 AM
Yeah..... Right now I have "Beat on the brat (with a baseball bat)" stuck in my head, and it won't come out....

well...there's no accountin for taste I guess :)

Bruce Taylor
11-19-2009, 10:05 AM
Right now, I've got a guitar samba running in the background.

My brain is rewiring itself to play a new piece, and the work continues, even while I'm asleep. Yesterday, a difficult series of chord transitions was giving me trouble. This morning, the clouds have parted and it's as easy as breathing. All night long, the song played in my head, as my brain took it apart, note by note. By morning, it had reassembled the passage (or rather, reassembled itself), and my fingers just seem to know where to go.

Phillip Allen
11-19-2009, 10:10 AM
I often wake up having dreamed a song...(or a short novel, for that matter)

huisjen
11-19-2009, 10:12 AM
I am forbidden to ever, ever, ever hum "Good King Wenceslas" anywhere near Sarabelle.

Dan

Mrleft8
11-19-2009, 10:17 AM
He's the one that looked out on the feast of Stephen, when the snow lay 'round about, deep, and crisp and even.....Right?

Bruce Taylor
11-19-2009, 10:18 AM
There's some interesting stuff about earworms in this book:

http://rgr-static1.tangentlabs.co.uk/images/ar/97804522/9780452288522/0/0/plain/this-is-your-brain-on-music-the-science-of-a-human-obsession.jpg

ripley699
11-19-2009, 11:24 AM
Del Shannon,,,,Little town flirt !
Here she comes ,,,just look at that style

You'll think you have a paper heart ,when she starts to tear it apart....

David G
11-19-2009, 12:30 PM
All the time.

Currently:

If you ever
Change your mind

About leavin'
leavin' me behind

Welllll darlin'
Bring it to me...
Bring your sweet lovin'
Bring it on home to me.

It's been stuck there for days. I got so bored with it yesterday, that I made up a new verse:

I've had other women
but they were a mess

So my darlin', I really must confess

I need you to
Bring it to me...

John B
11-19-2009, 12:50 PM
We've had this thread before. MM has a favourite.... noooooooooo

Phillip Allen
11-19-2009, 12:52 PM
We've had this thread before. MM has a favourite.... noooooooooo

sorry John, I cought myself singing "Mary doncha weep for me" at the top of my lungs this morning and thought it better stuff than the political mud slinging going on elsewhere

John B
11-19-2009, 01:08 PM
:D Yeah when MM reads this he's going to get that ole Tom Jones thing goin on..

poor Sue.

Bruce Taylor
11-19-2009, 01:23 PM
She's a lady, woah woah woah (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpsGh4Amt44&feature=related)

OconeePirate
11-19-2009, 01:46 PM
Gotta love the classics. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4zRe_wvJw8)

SMARTINSEN
11-19-2009, 04:34 PM
Greg Allman, Ramblin' Man.

Like for the last 20 years or so.

TimH
11-19-2009, 04:44 PM
The Shins - Australia (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHTSxw6zN1E)

Quite a good band. And their lyrics are just a few words repeated over and over.

(Born to) Born to multiply,
Born to gaze into night skies,
When all you want’s one more Saturday.
Well look here, until then
They're gonna buy your life’s time
So keep your wick in the air and your feet in the fetters
‘Till the day
We come in doing cartwheels
We all crawl out by ourselves
And your shape on the dance floor
Will have me thinking such filth and gouge my eyes.

You be damned to be one of us, girl,
Faced with the dodo’s conundrum
I felt like I could just fly
But nothing happened every time I tried.

A dual tone on the wall
The selfless fool who hoped he’d save us all
never dreamt of such sterile hands.
You keep them folded in your lap,
Or raise them up to beg for scraps,
You know he's holding you down
With the tips of his fingers just the same.
Will you be pulled from the ocean,
But just a minute too late,
Or changed by a potion,
And find a handsome young mate
For you to love.

You'll be damned to pining through the windowpanes,
You know you'd trade your life for any ordinary Joe’s,
Well do it now or grow old.
Your nightmares only need a year or two to unfold.

Been alone since you were twenty-one,
You haven't laughed since January.
You try and make like this is so much fun,
But we know it to be quite contrary.

La la la la la la

Dare to be one of us, girl,
Facing the android's conundrum,
I felt like I should just cry,
But nothing happens every time I take one on the chin,
You himmler and your coat,
You don't know how long I've been,
Watching the lantern dim,
Starved of oxygen,
So give me your hand,
And let's jump out the window.

wizbang 13
11-19-2009, 05:50 PM
when a brat like that spoils all your fun what can you do .. do

coelacanth2
11-19-2009, 09:57 PM
Favorite song to hum when I'm working is the Scarecrow's song from "The Wizard of Oz". Followed by "Telluride" by Kate Wolf. Wife is easy to torment - anything with a good beat will lock her in forDAYS:D. Son got in the habit of setting the computer up to play "You've got to Move It" from "Madagascar". Hilarious watching her try to stop singing it.

seafox
11-19-2009, 10:33 PM
some times it get so tireing especally on a long work day when no radios around to replace the song with another and usually its just a bit of the some only a couple sentances long

ripley699
11-19-2009, 11:54 PM
wanna drive your co-workrs nuts ?

Just whistle the theme to "Blazing Saddles "

No one will be able to identify the song but they will all know it...drives them crazy !!!!

Glen Longino
11-20-2009, 12:16 AM
"Wore his gun outside his pants,
for all the honest world to feel."

I don't know how many times I've awakened in the morning with that crap running through my head.

ripley699
11-20-2009, 12:33 AM
The late ,incredible ,Townes van Zandt..
something felt wrong with the world the day we lost him

Glen Longino
11-20-2009, 01:11 AM
The late ,incredible ,Townes van Zandt..
something felt wrong with the world the day we lost him

Ain't it the truth!
I've come to think he never should have been here in the first place, and we were just lucky he stumbled in here.
He never did seem comfortable.
I think he wrote all those songs for himself out of desperation, and we just got to watch and listen.
I have a lawyer friend/guitar player who used to cater to Townes when he was in Austin(go buy Townes a bottle of whiskey in the middle of a gig after Townes had drunk up the first bottle).
I never could fault Townes for his weaknesses, but wish I could have made him last longer.

ripley699
11-20-2009, 01:35 AM
Glen,
We all have our own devils...He had his.
what a treat it is still,to find an old song of his I have never heard.
"The name she gave ...was Caroline,,"
That song is a song never made famous ,but maybe one of his best...kinda funny no one has done him right by it ...I've thought about it..can't hardly lose ,can ya ?
ever hear him sing "darcy farrow " and hear him cry in the middle ?
You are prolly correct: we were just lucky to be here when he arrived,,,,just think about the hundreds of millions of people who,if they read this,would not have a clue what we are talking about nor what they missed ..I feel as if i were privelaged...miss him..

ripley699
11-20-2009, 02:10 AM
Ever see a sailboat go past ya'.name of "Gypsy Sally" .....That'd be me
Ripley

Glen Longino
11-20-2009, 03:17 AM
Glen,
We all have our own devils...He had his.
what a treat it is still,to find an old song of his I have never heard.
"The name she gave ...was Caroline,,"
That song is a song never made famous ,but maybe one of his best...kinda funny no one has done him right by it ...I've thought about it..can't hardly lose ,can ya ?
ever hear him sing "darcy farrow " and hear him cry in the middle ?
You are prolly correct: we were just lucky to be here when he arrived,,,,just think about the hundreds of millions of people who,if they read this,would not have a clue what we are talking about nor what they missed ..I feel as if i were privelaged...miss him..

Townes had more devils than I've had. No fault of his or virtue of mine.
I never hear the name Kathleen that I don't think of Townes.
I guess I don't miss him since I still have his music, which to me is all he ever was, his songs.
He left more behind than most of us will when we're gone.

brad9798
11-20-2009, 07:56 PM
Clumsy by Fergie! :D

George Jung
11-20-2009, 08:58 PM
Interesting topic, and really enjoy the comments/insights. Thanks for that link, Unc; and especially appreciate Bruce Taylors comments. While I don't have a link for it, I believe math skills are complemented by a music background. Your comments about 'learning while you sleep' are spot on; I've had that happen numerous times, for math/chemistry problems, as well as medical enigmas. My daughters have been going through chair challenges in band; they always go over their latest challenge piece asap, just to start that process, and it's pretty successful, so much so they recognize it (they don't always see what dad is getting at - imagine that!).

I've had a bit of a problem of late, with some Beatles tunes taking up a loop existence for quite a run. They were displaced recently when my girls performed in a 'Willy Wonka' musical. My co-workers have found it a bit disquieting when I've broken into 'Oompa Loompa'. Time for a new tune.

I noticed, in school, that the earworm phenomena was more likely during times of stress. A bit distracting when trying to concentrate on exams, and the more I tried to shut it down, the more prominent the distraction. I imagine it's the brains way of letting off steam, but... any other thoughts?

Oh yeah - any Led Zeppelin; occassionally, Hotel California. Buggers.

OconeePirate
11-20-2009, 09:17 PM
Lydia, oh Lydia, that encyclopedia
Lydia, the queen of them all
She once swept an admiral clean off his feet
The ships on her hips made her heart skip a beat
And now the old boy's in command of the fleet
For he went and married Lydia

The math/music connection is interesting. Strip musical down to its mechanicals and it is fairly simple math anyway. I can make noise on almost anything but I can actually play bass and trumpet relatively well. On string instruments you can really see the physics in action.

George Jung
11-20-2009, 09:53 PM
I have noticed that it's often a song I'd prefer not to hear that gets lodged in my noggin.

So... is that a variation on karma?:D

ripley699
11-20-2009, 11:01 PM
University studies have shown that muicians have ,on average ,an I.Q. that is 10 points higher than non muscians

Please don't ask for a link or a reference ..that is a 10-15 year old study

TimH
11-20-2009, 11:21 PM
Where I find my Heaven - Gigolo Aunts

Mrleft8
11-22-2009, 12:43 PM
Great, now I have "Johnny's got a boom boom" stuck in my head.... Thanks a lot Phillip!

Phillip Allen
11-22-2009, 12:51 PM
you're perfectly welcome, Doug :)

TimH
11-22-2009, 01:09 PM
Woke up this morning with Stranger on the Shore - Bob Marley in my head.

rooster
11-22-2009, 01:38 PM
There's a guy at work who likes to walk through the shop singing Christmas songs......IN JULY! Drives everybody nuts.

Phillip Allen
11-22-2009, 01:53 PM
There's a guy at work who likes to walk through the shop singing Christmas songs......IN JULY! Drives everybody nuts.

must be my evil twin :)

Ironmule
11-22-2009, 03:22 PM
At work the other night I was alternating in my mind the two versions of "Ave Maria" I like best Gunoud (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsTJU27a1uc&feature=related) and Schubert (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djmvux5Toao&feature=related). The problem is they're too slow paced for me to work at the speed necessary to keep up. I'll cast about in my mind for something with a quicker pace and try to hear it with harmonies and accompanment for a while and that will let me pick up my pace.

I worked in a bookstore across the Mall from one of those cheap organ stores for ten years. The kind that has total beginners blasting away at Beer Barrel Polka and Yellowbird at impossible to ignore volume and nonexistant skill. Incompetant versions of those two tunes drove me crazy for years afterwards.

Training myself to earwig people like "Brudda Iz" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ltAGuuru7Q) makes earwigs easier to live with:rolleyes:.

brad9798
11-22-2009, 06:02 PM
OOOOH!

Ave Maria is a beautiful song!!

Not IT is stuck in me noggin'!

:)

SMARTINSEN
11-22-2009, 06:09 PM
She's so Heavy by the Beatles.

I have read that this song was written precisely so that it would keep going on and on in your head long after the music had stopped.

Ironmule
11-22-2009, 06:09 PM
Brad, both Ave's bring tears to my eyes. I wandered around the Wikipedia getting a list of other composers of "Aves" the other night. There are hundreds, though I can find only four on Utube.

I've thought sometimes about starting a thread about what music touchs your soul so deeply you involuntarily tear up, but I know the political types would trash it.

At my niece's wedding I was only a few feet from the harpist who played Schubert for the soprano soloist. I love the harp, I love my niece, she'd just graduated magna cum laude from Georgia Tech, etc, etc,,,,,, It was a multiple hanky moment. :rolleyes: I was almost as bad as my brother in law, her Father.:D

I don't know what it is about about some tunes, but they affect one deeply no matter what language the singing is in, or if a song is turned into an instrumental. What we commonly call Greensleeves today is at least 1000yrs old and has at least 400 different sets of lyrics set to the tune. Some melodies just have it, more than others. Pachelbel's "Canon in D" is one that transcends the instrumentation used in playing it. Bach's "Air on a G String" and "Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring" are two more.

brad9798
11-22-2009, 07:28 PM
Well put, Jeff! Well put!

'How Great Thou Art' also kills me ...

My grandfather's favorite ...

Played at his funeral by a single, female (as if that matters) guitarist ...

A BEAUTIFUL rendition!

Flying Orca
11-22-2009, 07:31 PM
It appears that both Oystagirl and I always have one song or another in our heads. Of course, we are musicians. It's usually a recent acquisition on heavy rotation - being fans of good songwriting, we'll often play a new album every day just to get to know the songs.

Bruce, I've experienced the exact same phenomenon, with an arrangement working itself out in my head at night after rehearsal. It used to keep me up very late sometimes; we'd finish rehearsal at 11:00 p.m. and I'd be wired and wide awake at 1:30 with something working itself out. This is one reason I left the band, actually, in that it contributed to lack of sleep and burnout.

Oh, the latest material for both Oystagirl and me is Amelia Curran - we discovered her this summer and caught a short show last week, when we also picked up her latest album. Today in the car Oystagirl gave me the gears because I started singing the song in my head, and it wasn't the one in her head!

Ironmule
11-25-2009, 03:24 PM
Wandering around my Youtubes this afternoon found me a couple more,,,,,,

The Parting Glass in four part harmony Wailin' Jenny (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4egb2gpIg4&feature=fvw) and High Kings (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhJp0W0ku2w&feature=related)

I can listen to this kind of harmony all day long a well into the night.:D

After more wandering, You Raise Me Up (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-17NWRddUk&feature=related)

peter radclyffe
11-25-2009, 05:58 PM
on a cold & grey chicago morning

Phillip Allen
11-25-2009, 06:00 PM
never lliked that on...way too melodramatic...(though I suppose that what songs are suppose to be...) maybe it's because I never liked Elvis

ripley699
01-03-2010, 04:20 AM
Townes Van zandt decided 13 years ago yesterday that he had been here long enough and it was time to leave

A shame

RIP

ShagRock
01-03-2010, 05:23 AM
Townes Van zandt decided 13 years ago yesterday that he had been here long enough and it was time to leave

Well Rip, some say soldier on!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm2_7o8DGtI&feature=related