PDA

View Full Version : Ford #1 in safety

TimH
11-18-2009, 08:02 PM
Ford Motor Co. and its Volvo unit received the most awards with six, followed by five awards apiece for Japanese automaker Subaru and German automaker Volkswagen AG and its Audi unit.

Chrysler Group LLC received four awards followed by two each for Honda Motor Co. and General Motors Co.

Toyota Motor Corp., BMW AG, Mazda Motor Corp. and Mitsubishi Motors Corp. were shut out in the annual IIHS review.

http://www.komonews.com/news/consumer/70302202.html

Nicholas Scheuer
11-18-2009, 08:10 PM
Heard that in NPR today.

Is Toyota going the GM route? (Got big and got out of tune with the car buz?)

Subaru scored well, too, highly-rated in each of the five categories. My youngest daughter sure like her Suby.

Moby Nick

The Bigfella
11-18-2009, 08:32 PM
No Mercedes S class?

Steve Paskey
11-18-2009, 09:52 PM
Ford Motor Co. and its Volvo unit received the most awards with six...

Four of the six were for Volvos, with one each for Ford and Lincoln. I'd be curious to know who actually did the engineering on the Volvos. Did "Ford" per se really EARN those awards, or did they win only by virtue of being the company that happens to own Volvo?

BrianW
11-18-2009, 09:55 PM
I suspect the new roll over test did most of them in. They will all probably improve next year.

Wonder how much lead time the manufactures had in knowing about the new tests?

B_B
11-18-2009, 10:14 PM
Four of the six were for Volvos, with one each for Ford and Lincoln. I'd be curious to know who actually did the engineering on the Volvos. Did "Ford" per se really EARN those awards, or did they win only by virtue of being the company that happens to own Volvo?
well, Ford's owned Volvo for over a decade ...

McMike
11-19-2009, 07:49 AM
My Mazda3 is built on a Volvo frame, Ford and it’s other "brands" share just about everything. I was skeptical of this to, until I remembered that.

Keith Wilson
11-19-2009, 09:42 AM
Ford has been doing a good job lately; I just noticed that the Fusion got the absolute highest reliability rating from Consumer Reports, historically Toyota/Honda territory. Nice work.

Dan McCosh
11-19-2009, 10:01 AM
My Mazda3 is built on a Volvo frame, Ford and itís other "brands" share just about everything. I was skeptical of this to, until I remembered that.

The Volvo is built on a Mazda "frame"==i.e., shared platform.

McMike
11-19-2009, 11:14 AM
The Volvo is built on a Mazda "frame"==i.e., shared platform.

Thatís not what the salesman told me!!!!! :eek::(

Good point.:D

htom
11-19-2009, 05:43 PM
Entered in five classes, Subaru was in the top group in each of those five.