PDA

View Full Version : CAsh for clunkers......who did it really help?

jack grebe
11-18-2009, 07:10 PM
I believe the #'s will be fairly close nationwide.

Top trade ins.........American made
top sales..............Imports

Cash for clunkers worked in Palm Beach Co.

Reported by: Vince Norman
Email: vnorman@wptv.com
Last Update: 11/06 5:34 pm

Related Links

Numbers revealed: What did Cash for Clunkers do for Florida? (http://www.wptv.com/news/state/story/Numbers-revealed-What-did-Cash-for-Clunkers-do/b1TiPZHENEGz_vomPKB0mg.cspx)

http://www.wptv.com/media/lib/90/8/4/3/843c24d8-c49e-4646-bfa1-6597fe1efc67/Story.jpg (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:void%280%29;)

"I think it did ultimately end up helping," said Gary Weil, the General Sales Manager of Al Packer, Ford/Lincoln/Mercury, in West Palm Beach.
Did it help the automakers? Undoubtedly. The environment however...not so much, according to numbers compiled by Scripps Howard News Service.
Many Americans traded in older gas-guzzlers, for new gas-guzzlers. That wasn't the case here in Palm Beach County.
"You didn't have... people coming out of F-150s and going in to other F-150s, Or coming out of Super-Dutys and going into that class of vehicles," said Weil.
The top 5 trade-ins:
Ford Explorer 2-WD
Ford F-150 2-WD
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Mercury Grand Marquis
Dodge Caravan
The top 5 sold in return:
Toyota Corolla
Honda Civic
Toyota Camry
Hyundai Elantra
Honda CRV 2-WD

"Most of the people were getting into a much more fuel efficient vehicle. And not just because they're economical, there really were very specific requirements on fuel efficiency improvements in order for dealers to be able to make a deal. Which is a good thing. It brought in people that may not have been in the market. This actually moved them forward, and got them thinking about buying, and actually buying a new car," said Weil.

WEST PALM BEACH, FL -- The government's Cash for Clunkers program has been credited with helping the auto industry stay just ahead of the icy grip of death.

someone, Please explain how this was
to help Detroit?

Nicholas Scheuer
11-18-2009, 07:17 PM
The Chrysler assembly plant in nearby Belvedere, IL recalled it's second shift yesterday. That is 1600 people asembling the Calibre and two Jeep models.

Moby Nick

Dan McCosh
11-18-2009, 07:19 PM
I believe the #'s will be fairly close nationwide.

Top trade ins.........American made
top sales..............Imports

someone, Please explain how this was
to help Detroit?
As I recall, GM put two plant back to work to meet the demand. I think Ford did something similar.

jack grebe
11-18-2009, 07:25 PM
But didn't the majority of the money fill the
coffers of the import giants?

Dan McCosh
11-18-2009, 07:42 PM
So what?

Bob Adams
11-18-2009, 07:53 PM
But didn't the majority of the money fill the
coffers of the import giants?

Yes. Personally I resent my tax dollars being in this way.

LeeG
11-18-2009, 08:02 PM
Isn't the Corolla built in California?

Bob Adams
11-18-2009, 08:04 PM
Yes. Some of the import brands are assembled in the US, but the profits go offshore.

Woxbox
11-18-2009, 08:05 PM
As has been said a million times before, there ain't no such thing as an American or a Japanese or a German car. They're all made all over the planet with parts made all over the planet. Most Toyotas sold in the US are made in the US. Lots of Chryslers are made in Canada and Mexico. It's all like that. I have BMW that was made in S. Carolina.

Plus, big automakers own shares of smaller automakers. Ford owns a chunk of Mazda, for example.

So please, folks, get over it. There's just no such thing as an American or a foreign car anymore.

Who benefited from cash for clunkers? The dealers and automakers, of course. Exactly as intended.

wizbang 13
11-18-2009, 10:26 PM
"my" taxes being used to benefit people who bought SUV's.

rbgarr
11-18-2009, 10:52 PM
Isn't someone here an auto dealer/salesperson who was annoyed by all the confusion over paperwork and payment delays? Did that get worked out? Have subsidies been paid out?

LeeG
11-18-2009, 10:56 PM
Brad said he didn't need the money

Paul Girouard
11-18-2009, 10:58 PM
Isn't someone here an auto dealer/salesperson who was annoyed by all the confusion over paperwork and payment delays?

brad9798

Did that get worked out? Have subsidies been paid out?

I asked on a thread a while back , he didn't respond and / or the thread sunk.

I'd guess IF he didn't get paid he'd have let the world know how Pres. Obama and /or the Govt. had screwed him.

Or no news is Good news. :D

PatCox
11-18-2009, 11:03 PM
All the money was paid, it took a few weeks, but all the money was paid. Dealers report about 1% of deals were turned down by the feds.

The vehicle that had the largest number sold under the program was the Ford F-150.

brad9798
11-19-2009, 11:22 PM
It was all paid, but Paul Girourd, you have not a clue ... not a clue about the program, or the original goals.

Why on EARTH would I, or anyone else for that matter, have blamed Obama? Do I really think he did this program? Of course not!

Paul- the Gov't is NOT Obama ... nor is Obama the GOV'T! Please understand that notion!

Sure things got paid ... althought gov't reps. told us up until about three days before payment that some deals would NOT get paid ...

BELIEVE me- I have contacted those gov't reps ... the ones that told me payment would NOT come ... funny, as soon as it was paid, their numbers were no longer valid, etc.

Is our Gov't a JOOOOOKE, or what? ;)

And folks wondered why I worried about not getting paid! ;)

Paul Girouard
11-20-2009, 02:23 AM
It was all paid, but Paul Girourd, you have not a clue ... not a clue about the program, or the original goals.

Free money from the Govt. so auto workers would have jobs, so they in turn could pay thier house payments , credit card debt , gas / heating bills , buy food , etc . Some might call it "trickle down" :rolleyes:

Why on EARTH would I, or anyone else for that matter, have blamed Obama?

Who would you have blamed Bush?

Do I really think he did this program?

I not sure what you think? Was it not a program started when Pres. O was President?

Paul- the Gov't is NOT Obama ... nor is Obama the GOV'T! Please understand that notion!

Just using the "old" formula for who's at fault. Has the criteria changed? :rolleyes:

Is our Gov't a JOOOOOKE, or what?

Seems to be at times, whats the budget deficit up to these days?

And folks wondered why I worried about not getting paid! ;)

Have a few more drinks Brad , maybe you can write something that makes sense then. :rolleyes:

BTW you spelled my name wrong , but theres nuttin new about that.

brad9798
11-20-2009, 07:21 PM
Learn your facts ... before accusing me of drinking.

Trying to deflect your errors to my drinking does not perform so well ... been a long while since I've had a drink!

You?

Regardless of drinking status, you still have not a clue!

:D

Paul Girouard
11-20-2009, 09:35 PM
Learn your facts ... before accusing me of drinking.

It was what you wrote and how you wrote it that made me suspect.

Trying to deflect your errors to my drinking does not perform so well ... been a long while since I've had a drink!

You?

7 or 8 years.

Regardless of drinking status, you still have not a clue!

Good enough and it appears you are unwilling to elucidate on the parts I have wrong.

brad9798
11-21-2009, 07:24 PM
What parts, parts?

Seriously?

And why do you care? :confused:

Hwyl
11-21-2009, 07:48 PM
The source is dubious, for instance

The top 5 trade-ins:
Ford Explorer 2-WD
Ford F-150 2-WD
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Mercury Grand Marquis
Dodge Caravan

To qualify your trade has to have a MPG of less than 18, the Caravan definitely gets more than 18

Paul Girouard
11-21-2009, 08:06 PM
What parts, parts?

Seriously?

And why do you care?

You are being obtuse. Or your just being a A-hole.

brad9798
11-21-2009, 08:19 PM
(seriously) not sure your point, Paul G.!!!

Not trying to be against you .... :confused:

brad9798
11-22-2009, 06:46 PM
As has been said a million times before, there ain't no such thing as an American or a Japanese or a German car.

Actually, woxbox, there certainly IS a difference!!!

It's not about where the plant is ... it's about the money train/trail!

:)

brad9798
12-03-2009, 09:56 PM
So ... Paul G. What do you mean?

You never answered!

;)