PDA

View Full Version : Laissez les bon temps rouler!

ishmael
11-17-2009, 08:26 PM
I'm reading a novel at the moment. Rather good, though I'll bet it was published after she'd made a name in other novels and this got a second look. "Cry Wolf" Tami Hoag. Kind of a potboiler, part Southern Gothic romance with rogues and maidens in despair, part murder mystery, part feminist diatribe. She writes this stuff better than most.

A serial killer is on the loose, and I think I know who did it. Not a lot of red herrings, but enough to keep you going.

She does write very well and captures the bayous of Louisiana. Literate and beautiful in passages. Very lyrical.

I haven't looked into her vitae, but I'll bet it includes some time spend in Acadie.

Paul Pless
11-17-2009, 08:37 PM
Yoiks! what's the bilge coming to... first Jack's nemesis, Leeg, admits to watching Oprah, and now Jack's reading romance novels.

This keeps up I might have to find a new hangout.:rolleyes:

ishmael
11-17-2009, 08:59 PM
Paul,

It'll be a cold day in Hell, before I read "Romance Novels." LOL. But this book's construction(I'm not finished yet, it will be good to finally see who the killer is, and probably a bit of a surprise) is an interesting talent. She creates deep characters. They draw you in. It's not great literature, though she is quite good at reading character and place and crosses over at times into Pat Conroy's ability.

SMARTINSEN
11-17-2009, 09:32 PM
I thought that this was going to be about Boyles Boats

Keith Wilson
11-17-2009, 09:44 PM
Hey Jack, have you ever read anything by Laurie King (http://www.laurierking.com/)? I'd highly recommend her if you like intelligent mysteries. She has two series - The Kate Martinelli novels about a modern-day San Francisco detective, and the Mary Russell series; probably the best Sherlock Holmes stories I've ever read, maybe even better than the originals; certainly funnier. She's also written several stand-alone stories. Touchstone is particularly good. You also might really like To Play the Fool. Maybe not Great Literature, but pretty damn good literature.

purri
11-17-2009, 09:48 PM
A real bodice ripper eh?
"with one leap he was by her side":D

ishmael
11-17-2009, 10:22 PM
I'll look for Laurie King, Keith. I need to go to the library.

Purri, there's a bit of bodice ripping goes on. You've got a disparate couple who fall in love in the midst of a murder mystery, so why not? Laurel is returning home after a defeat, and she meets up with Jack, her equal a very different man than she's used to, both lawyers BTW. But the bodice ripping is just a bit of the drama. They don't understand one another, yet want to.

It's not a bodice ripper by nature. Jack is a very complex character, as is Laurel. All set in the fusty nature of the South.

I'm three ways through the novel, and the truth will out. LOL.

paladin
11-17-2009, 10:40 PM
Oh darn......and I just started re-reading Dr. Jackow Trachtenburgs book on Modern Speed Mathematics......and Stonehenge Decoded.

bucheron
11-18-2009, 01:22 AM
"Cry Wolf" Tami Hoag. Kind of a potboiler, part Southern Gothic romance with rogues and maidens in despair, part murder mystery, part feminist diatribe.

Sounds loupie to me.

bucheron
11-18-2009, 01:25 AM
A real bodice ripper eh?
"with one leap he was by her side":D

"Norah could feel his hot breath on her cheek as he tore the thin silk . . . . ." :eek:

ishmael
11-18-2009, 03:58 AM
"Is that novel titled as that? "

Bon dieu, mon ami. "Cry Wolf."

I wish I could actually speak French. A lot of the asides in this novel are in Cajun French, and while I can usually make them out, I puzzle on them more than once.

purri
11-18-2009, 06:25 AM
"Norah could feel his hot breath on her cheek as he tore the thin silk . . . . ." :eek:

that comprised her blouse, and then the outer fringe of her undergarment was revealed........

(subtext: c'mon you know yer wants to)

switters
11-18-2009, 02:03 PM
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk221/switters_bucket/hoag.jpg

bodice smeller perhaps?

now lest play identify the wooden boat design. I'm going for john boat by uncle jon

ishmael
11-18-2009, 02:14 PM
He he. After I posted I looked her up. She cut her teeth writing romance novels. You can tell. She likes to write about sex! LOL.

"Cry Wolf" is just a fun mystery. I've always got two or three books going. The other two at the moment are "C.G. Jung, Haunted Prophet" and "Marcus Aurelius Meditations." Had to throw something light in with those two.