PDA

View Full Version : Crowninshield Designs

Eric-44
01-15-2001, 09:51 PM
Has anyone any experience building the Crowninshield "Dark Harbor" designs? I really like the lines of the 17 1/2 and I want to know if anyone has any advice before start building it in cedar strip.

Art Read
01-16-2001, 01:43 AM
Hi, Eric... I'm now a few months over two years into my own Dark Harbor 12 1/2 project. I only went with the smaller version after consulting a tape measure and the dimensions of the garage... If you've been following any of the other threads here, you may have noticed that I'm just now at the point of getting her ready to turn over. They say that getting the hull done is about one quarter of the total work. I'm assuming, (praying?) it will prove to be more like half given that the interiors of these boats are so simple and that there are no mechanical instalations to deal with. I chose to build mine with carvel planking and so can't say whether or not strip building would be any easier or faster, but I have seen at least one finished boat that was built strip fashion. Even finished bright, a very attractive job! I've heard from various sources that all of these designs are wonderful sailors. Can't wait to find out.... Good luck with it!

Eric-44
01-18-2001, 08:17 PM
Hi Art! Your tape measure comment made me laugh because I decided not to build the 28 for the same reason! I will have to open the door to walk around the end or drive a screw in the stem.
Would you mind telling me what wood you used for the backbone? I was considering using white oak but it is almost impossible to get in useful sizes. Maybe mahogany, it is a little more available. The guys at the local lumber yard suggested Douglas fir but that might be because they have a lot in stock.
Good luck with your turn-over; that's the part of the whole project tha worries me the most.

Kermit
01-18-2001, 11:16 PM
Hey, Art--I bet there are a bunch of us Fourth Corner types ready to lend a hand! We await your command...

Art Read
01-19-2001, 12:29 AM
Eric... Yeah, 28 feet is a LOT longer than I thought it was! As for the backbone and frames, I used what is referred to as "bending oak" that is carried by a local boat lumber supplier. Really just air dried/green white oak. Shouldn't be that hard to find out east but it takes a bit of searching around. Try using the forum's search thingy for "white oak" to see some other other threads where it has been discussed here before. It's out there.

Kermit... Trust me... I'll be sending out an "All hands" once I set a date! Still have some work to do fairing the hull and painting, etc., but it shouldn't be long now. Oh yeah, guess I better build myself a cradle too! ;-}