PDA

View Full Version : Mickey Lake... a NO Saints Fan?

Paul Pless
11-15-2009, 07:25 AM
Mickey, aren't you a Saints fan?

We never hear anything out of you about them...
What's up? you afraid to jinx them or something?;)
...or maybe all your football attention is foucused on the Tide for the next three weeks or so...

bamamick
11-15-2009, 09:22 AM
No, I watch them every week and I will watch them today against the Rams, but of course it's not the same thing as college football.

I went to my first Saints game in 1968, against the Lions in Tulane Stadium. Mobile is a big Saints town. We carry all of their games on the radio. We have talk shows about them. The latest craze seems to be the fluer de lis tattoos and I work with two guys who have had them put on this year. Saints tickets are selling for $300 a piece for end zone seats and there are busloads of fans traveling from Mobile and Pensacola for every game, but I don't go to their games now. I only have so much to go around, and what I have I put down on the University.

Saints fans are like Cub fans. You are always waiting for the other shoe to drop. This year feels different, but it's a long way from being a good team to playing in the Super Bowl. In 2006 the Saints had the misfortune of having to go to Chicago to play in the NFC title game. This year the guys knew pretty early on that they were playing for home field advantage. If they can do that. If they can keep home field advantage through he playoffs, look out. Drew Brees is the best quarterback in Saints history (yes,better than Archie) and one of the top free agent acquisitions in the history of the NFL (just look at the numbers if you think that's an overstatement). The Saints have a decent defense with Darren Sharper and Jabari Greer solidifying what was a disastrous backfield. They can run. They can pass. The kicking game is solid (this rookie punter is really good). If they don't pick up a crucial injury or shoot themselves in the foot they could go far, but it's the Saints we are talking about. 'Ifs' are always something to be concerned about.

The Saints have a few difficult games left (New England and Dallas) but they are at home. If they are going to lose I honestly don't see it until they visit Atlanta late. We'll see. I am just enjoying watching Brees throw the football, and sitting back knowing that my Crimson Tide is really and truly 'back' after the last 13 years or so of up and down football.

Mickey Lake

bamamick
11-15-2009, 04:12 PM
Well, that was something less than impressive, but you have to remember that about half of the Saints defense was out with injuries. The team that won today would not have won several of those earlier games.

9-0. I guess that's the important point. They've got a full four game lead with seven to play.

Mickey Lake