PDA

View Full Version : A question for Paul G.

Robert L.
11-13-2009, 11:33 PM
You know how it is for us rural folk just sitting here on the front porch rockin’ away, we find the silliest things real interesting, watchin’ the moles push up dirt, wonderin’ if the neighbors big mean ‘ol turkey is goin’ to catch him before he makes it to the truck, fast loud low flying military type jets that fly over once every couple of years or so. It is even more interesting when one goes over low slow and relatively quietly. You folks wouldn't happen to have one of them their Harrier Jet things up your way would you? About 5:15pm this evening something about the right size went over-head, going south relatively slow. Surprisingly quiet, kind of more a whiny turbine sound than a jet roar sound. It was getting pretty dark so I couldn’t see it real well other than the lights. What is really interesting is that another went over, again going south at about 8:09pm. Quite a bit higher than the first but still a pretty slow quiet jet. Two in one night! Wow! That brings up the average to almost one plane a year for the past six years. Of course I am not at home all the time so there are probably a lot more that I don’t notice.

Paul Girouard
11-14-2009, 12:29 AM
You folks wouldn't happen to have one of them their Harrier Jet things up your way would you?

None permanently stationed here, and I've never seen one at this base in the 31 years I've lived here. Of cousre there could have been one or two that I missed. Yanno when I was away on cruises or work ups.

Surprisingly quiet, kind of more a whiny turbine sound than a jet roar sound.

Most USN tactical jets and pretty loud. The only "whiny" one might have been the S-3 Viking. I believe those have been retired from the fleet. Did you happen to see that u-tube type video I linked to a thread yesterday? That might help with the sound thing.

It was getting pretty dark so I couldn’t see it real well other than the lights.

That happens , to early, this time of year!

Of course I am not at home all the time so there are probably a lot more that I don’t notice.

Ya, a few might "sneak" by on ya. Could be Air Force hardware out of McChord.

Could be war drums :eek:

Nicholas Carey
11-14-2009, 01:38 AM
Prolly EA-6B Prowlers out of Whidbey

Robert L.
11-14-2009, 01:46 AM
Prolly EA-6B Prowlers out of Whidbey

Don't think so, not that loud or type of sound. Plus while not very knowledgeable about aircraft I am guessing that a Prowler would probably fall out of the sky at the speed this thing was going.

That is what made it so interesting.

Paul G.
11-14-2009, 03:08 AM
Robert,

I'm too far away to be involved with mysterious aircraft, I reside in NZ and last I heard we had a Piper Cub AND a two Fletcher topdressers left in our Air Force.

Good luck with the mystery!

Paul Girouard
11-14-2009, 12:27 PM
Robert,

I'm too far away to be involved with mysterious aircraft, I reside in NZ and last I heard we had a Piper Cub AND a two Fletcher topdressers left in our Air Force.

Good luck with the mystery!

Thank you Mister G for chiming in, I think Santa , AKA Robert L., may have been referring to myself. But seeing he did not respond to my post in anyway and his propensity to have , IMO , some pretty "far out/ flung ideas" maybe it was you, the real Paul G. that he was asking:D