PDA

View Full Version : Jaws

Jim Bow
11-13-2009, 09:56 PM
I watched Jaws again. This time in BluRay with the sound pumped through my amp.

Spielberg just flat knows how to tell a story. The references to the USS Indianapolis were not in the book. It would be interesting to learn how it got written into the movie.

All in all, after 30 years, the flick is still a treat.

Beowolf
11-13-2009, 10:43 PM
For some reason, I was thinking about that movie this afternoon. I was specifically thinking about how it would look on BluRay. Huh. How 'bout that.

"We're gonna need a bigger boat."

goodbasil
11-13-2009, 11:11 PM
I read a thing on Jaws a few months ago and Spielberg regretted the big mistake he made.
Remember when Dreyfess's chracter is poking around underwater at a hole in the boat then the dead owner appears and it scares the nineys out of everyone?
Well, because of that, when the sight of the shark first showed when bait is being thrown off the stern, the audience didn't jump as high as they should have, because they'd already become somewhat conditioned after the first scare. According to Spielberg, you only get one good shocking scare in a movie, so you have to time it just right.

On another Spielberg note, if he were to retire today, he would receive over $60 million a year in royalities from the rentals of his DVD's.

TimH
11-14-2009, 12:31 AM
He sure had some good movies.

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
11-14-2009, 02:37 AM
Robert Shaw as Capt. Quint was perfect eh?

http://2fishproductions.org/BAMS_Bracket/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/quint.jpeg

rbgarr
11-14-2009, 07:43 AM
Great sideburns

Beowolf
11-14-2009, 08:46 AM
I read a thing on Jaws a few months ago and Spielberg regretted the big mistake he made.
Remember when Dreyfess's chracter is poking around underwater at a hole in the boat then the dead owner appears and it scares the nineys out of everyone?
Well, because of that, when the sight of the shark first showed when bait is being thrown off the stern, the audience didn't jump as high as they should have, because they'd already become somewhat conditioned after the first scare. According to Spielberg, you only get one good shocking scare in a movie, so you have to time it just right.

On another Spielberg note, if he were to retire today, he would receive over $60 million a year in royalities from the rentals of his DVD's.

I had read that he himmed and hawwed over the appearance of "Ol' Ben Gardner" so many times that by the time he had decided to shoot it, they had left the location. They had to film that scene in the producer's pool.

If you ask me, I don't think he should have changed a thing. The movie is awesome.

Mrleft8
11-14-2009, 09:02 AM
Apparently the reference to the USS Indianapolis was an ad lib, unscripted monologue by Shaw. It was so good they kept it.

ccmanuals
11-14-2009, 11:41 AM
Empire of the Sun, an amazing movie and the first time we really see Christian Bale.
http://pabuc.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/empire-of-the-sun_779812i.jpg

Jim Bow
11-14-2009, 12:42 PM
Each of those is great for different reasons. I don't think I could pick a best Spielberg.

"Duel" still hooks me every time.

Soundbounder
11-16-2009, 10:20 AM
The references to the USS Indianapolis were not in the book. It would be interesting to learn how it got written into the movie.

I think the Indianapolis is discussed in the book, along with the 1916 shark attacks in New Jersey. It is done in a narrative form.
The Quint scene reciting the incident personally is not in the book.

It has been awhile since I read the book, but I am pretty sure Peter Benchley discusses it.

doorstop
11-17-2009, 04:14 AM
After you lose a friend to a great white the movie loses its appeal....

rbgarr
11-17-2009, 05:12 AM
Kinda like sloppy seconds....

That wasn't really necessary, was it?