Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alan Peck
    • Nov 2000

Greg Rossel's books

I have Greg Rossel's book "Building Small Boats" and it is by far my favorite boat building book.

I recently noticed he also has a book called "Boatbuilders Apprentice".

The table of contents look pretty similar. Does anyone have both books and does the book "Boatbuilders Apprentice" contain enough different material from his other book to make it worth buying.

Alan
  • jjdeal
    • Oct 2009

Re: Greg Rossel's books

Originally posted by Alan Peck
    I have Greg Rossel's book "Building Small Boats" and it is by far my favorite boat building book.

I recently noticed he also has a book called "Boatbuilders Apprentice".

The table of contents look pretty similar. Does anyone have both books and does the book "Boatbuilders Apprentice" contain enough different material from his other book to make it worth buying.

Alan
    I actually have that book checked out from our Public Library right now! I don't have the other, so I cannot give you the info you want. You might try going to the Library there in TLH and seeing if they have those books. Then you can check them out before purchasing.

Comment

• Alan Peck
      • Nov 2000

TerryL: A quick question, does the "Apprentice Book" have significantly more information on carvel planking than the other book does?

Alan

Comment

• Alan Peck
        • Nov 2000

Terry: Thanks very much

Comment

• Songololo
          • Dec 2006

Alan, do you have any feedback or first hand information on this yet?

Lance
          "Smooth seas do not make skillful sailors". African Proverb

Comment

• Thorne
            Like my hat?
            • Aug 2005

The two books are still in print and being sold side-by-side on Amazon for nearly the same price. "Apprentice" is much longer and seems to have a wider focus.

Reader reviews are another excellent way to discover things about books. The first two for "Apprentice" both mention the other book as being different. The second review by Holtzman says,
            ..."What Rossel doesn't cover here are many of the step-by-step procedures needed to actually build a boat. But that's OK, since that's not the purpose of this book, and he covers step-by-step procedures very well indeed in his other book, "Building Small Boats" (WoodenBoat Books). "

Last edited by Thorne; 03-11-2010, 09:49 AM.
            "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
            Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Comment

• goodbasil
              Basil
              • Feb 2005

There was a thread on this very question running here not too long ago.
              basil

Comment

• Bill R
                Where's the KABOOM?!
                • Feb 2005

I have both books. What Thorne posted above is pretty accurate. There is some redundancy, but the 2 books are different enough so that you would not regret the burchase of both.
                Bill R

There was supposed to be an earth shattering KABOOM!

Comment

• Alan Peck
                  • Nov 2000

Songololo: Sorry, but I have not yet seen the "Apprentice Book"

Alan

Comment

Working...