PDA

View Full Version : Grey seal progress (pics) not too much

kng
11-20-2003, 08:13 PM
Hi !! I have to epoxy the last strake, finish the keel and stern and I will have the hull !!! smile.gif I hope !! the keel is giving me too much work !!
well here are some pictures I hope you enjoy them... cheers !!
Emiliano
http://personales.ciudad.com.ar/kng/1120_009.jpg http://personales.ciudad.com.ar/kng/1120_038.jpg http://personales.ciudad.com.ar/kng/1120_011.jpg

Wild Dingo
11-20-2003, 08:44 PM
FANBLOODYTASTIC Emiliano!!! :cool: Shes coming along at a real nice steady pace eh? seems yer somewhat short on space there mate :eek:

Great to see progress :cool:

Aramas
11-20-2003, 10:09 PM
Sweet smile.gif

Peter Malcolm Jardine
11-20-2003, 10:17 PM
:cool: :cool: smile.gif

kng
11-20-2003, 10:23 PM
Thanks Arama, Wild dingo there is so little space !! I donīt know how I will varnish the right side smile.gif but It has to be that way because if it isnīt we could not enter to the house !! my father wants to kill me !!

cheers !!

Emiliano.

Venchka
11-21-2003, 05:07 PM
Yep, that's a boat.

A right proper boat! You've come far!

Rogue Sailor
11-21-2003, 05:23 PM
my father wants to kill me !!
So says he! The reality is he's very proud of your craftsmanship!

Great work! smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

[ 11-21-2003, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: Rogue Sailor ]

Wild Dingo
11-22-2003, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by Rogue Sailor:
So says he! The reality is he's very proud of your craftsmanship!:D Aye... an hes probably more hangin out for you to take him out in a fresh built by his son boat for a brisk sail! :cool: twould be a proud da there Emiliano ;) :cool:

JimD
11-22-2003, 10:33 AM
Looks fabulous. How long before she's right side up?

kng
11-24-2003, 12:54 AM
Thanks for your words... I really donīt know when I will get the right side up... first I have to paint the bottom... I will use an epoxy-bituminous paint, do you know about that paint ??

thanks !!

Emiliano.

Gerald
11-24-2003, 04:05 AM
It looks like there is still the same great craftsmanship, as always, in the yards of Buenos Aires. Your boat yard just looks smaller than some!
Great job Emiliano.
Gerald

JimD
11-24-2003, 08:07 PM
Emiliano, a question for you if I may. I am considering building a similar sized boat in lapstrake plywood and have ordered Iain's book on the subject. Did the hull go together about as you expected without too much difficulty or was it perhaps more than you'd bargain for? Any major problems with clinker ply? Since you've just done it I'd appreciate your feedback.

kng
11-25-2003, 01:55 PM
Hi !! JimD I can say that really I didn't have too much trouble, the worst part is when you are glueing the strakes toghether "because the epoxy", I think I have made a mistake when I decide not bevelling the lap lands and adding strips and/or sawdust with epoxy to fill the gap between the strakes... that takes me more time and increased too much the width of the lap.. what can I say Itīs done now...
I donīt know an other building method, but I think this is the best for the begginer, I really apreciate the traditional planking "strip, carvel, lap-strke(without epoxy)" I think it has too much work to do than lapstrake with plywood and epoxy. Try to have lot of care at the scarf joints on the plywood to have fair planks... "these could be easy to repair if it will be a painted hull" <boatbuilding masters donīt kill me for that!! smile.gif >
most important I think than skills are patience and follow the steps... then take always three times to verify if everything is ok... may be is too much...
If you want to know anything else, ask !! I hope I can help... as everybody does here all the time!!

cheers Emiliano.

JimD
11-25-2003, 02:50 PM
Thanks, Emiliano. I am also interested in it partly because of the traditional look that can be achieved by amateurs without the skills for traditional methods. After I get Iain's book I may have more questions for you.
Cheers, Jim.

L.W. Baxter
11-25-2003, 07:45 PM
From where I sit, Emiliano, your laps don't look too thick. I know the feeling where you wished you'd done it another way, but it looks fine, don't sweat it.

Lee

skuthorp
11-25-2003, 08:17 PM
Lovely Emiliano, Ian's Boats seem to have a distinctive look. Your father should be greatful that you didn't build it in the living room, like Dingo!!
:D

Bruce Taylor
11-26-2003, 07:41 AM
Well done!

Bill Baillie
11-26-2003, 11:03 PM
Niiiiiice!
I'm jealous.....

B_B
11-26-2003, 11:54 PM
Muy bonito amigo! Tu tiene una barco muy agradable, hecho bien! Se recompensa su trabajo duro. la apología, sino mi espaņol no es buenos, pero megusta el barco mucho. luego! ;)

JimM
11-27-2003, 01:22 AM
Emiliano
Keep up the good work. Your Grey Seal will look great on the water.