PDA

View Full Version : teaching

bromleigh
12-16-2000, 02:26 PM
I am introducing a small boat building program at my vocational high school and would appreciate hearing suggestions for plywood constructed rowing-pulling skiffs, dories in 10'-12' range that can be constructed in 80 hrs by teams of two students.Any help appreciated as I'm all
alone and bewildered about this.
Thankyou in advance.

CUSTOM SKIFFS AND REPAIR
12-16-2000, 04:11 PM
Contact seasidesmallcraft.com He has done it with the six hour canoe in Virginia

Bayboat
12-16-2000, 05:24 PM
WoodenBoat has published "Community Boatbuilding Manual" which has a lot of ideas about group boatbuilding. If you want a skiff rather than a canoe you might have a look at the "weekend skiff," book available from WoodenBoat. See also: "Clinker Plywood Boatbuilding Manual" by Iain Oughtred; "Ultralight Boatbuilding" by Thomas J. Hill (both via WoodenBoat); and "Glued Lap Construction" by Walter J. Simmons (www.duck-trap.com). The 12' Shellback Dinghy, plans and book by WoodenBoat, is worth a look.
All of these use glued (epoxy) lapstrake plywood construction, which in my opinion is the way to go for small craft if you are not going for "traditional." It's a good alternative and there are many very nice designs for this genre. I'm running a modest boatbuilding school for Wisconsin Lake Schooner Education Association, so would be glad to take a crack at any questions. Good luck. Clint.

bromleigh
12-16-2000, 07:23 PM
Thankyou to Bayboat and Cusom Skiffs for your response.To Clint I wonder if I am getting in over my head with lapstrake construction. Although it is my intention to have a strong math component to the program, are the skills involved in lapstrake construction, with regard to layout and lofting perhaps too advanced for my inner city kids?? What you think????

Ben Fuller
12-16-2000, 11:36 PM
Check out the Riverfront recapture skiff that John Gardner did for exactly your purpose. Written up in Classic Small Craft You Can Build. I think Mystic Seaport's plans department has larger plans of the ones in the book.

Bayboat
12-17-2000, 01:24 AM
Compared to carvel and traditional lapstrake, glued plywood lapstrake (GPL) construction is much simpler. But it's still bonafide boatbuilding, and quite appropriate for novices. In our beginners' classes we have built a couple of Nutshell Prams and Shellback Dinghies, designed by Joel White. Both are good examples of GPL. The plans, from WoodenBoat, have full-size patterns for station molds and require no lofting. The most complex operation is scaling up the planks, which is not very complicated and gives the kids some idea of the relationship between the plans and the woodwork. The books lead you through all phases of construction with photos and clear text. There are plans available from different designers of plywood boats that are somewhat less complex, but many of them are of rather slab-sided single-plank skiffs that don't have the grace of designs by such as Joel White, Tom Hill or Iain Oughtred. You can do lofting later if you go on to more advanced classes.

G. Schollmeier
12-17-2000, 08:39 AM
"But it's still bonafide boatbuilding,"

Is that like traditional boatbuilding? http://media4.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/wink.gif
Gary

Steve McMahon
12-17-2000, 10:46 AM
No matter what design you choose its great that you are going to introduce some kids to boats. Boats, building and then sailing, are an amazing long term and short term influence on kids (and adults). Maybe you could get some donations of materials from the local businesses with help from the kids. Kids that are building and sailing boats are kids that aren't hanging around the streets....

bromleigh
12-17-2000, 04:52 PM
Thankyou all for your responses and guidance.
I will return when, (not if) I encounter difficulties. teacher!!!

garland reese
12-18-2000, 12:25 AM
HH Payson has some simple designs at his web site. Phil Bolger is the designer for them. Payson has a few books on plywood boat construction. They are a good place to start. www.instantboats.com (http://www.instantboats.com)

Jim Michalak also has some simple plywood skiffs that would be quick and esy to build. He has a web site with a regular (twice a month) web based newsletter. I can't remember his address, but a search under his name should turn it up.

garland

Dave Carnell
12-19-2000, 07:21 AM
Jim Michalak's page is
<http://apci.net/~michalak>

80 hours is not a lot of time.

<http://home.att.net/~DaveCarnell>

This Bolger design could do it.