X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jonboy
    Senhor Member
    • Mar 2009

Gannets

Out fishing yesterday, five or six miles off the coast and catching bream and mackerel and the normal general stuff for the table,, and we were persecuted by gannets....incredible spectacular dives into the sea all round the boat, but grabbing the fish on the line as we pulled it in, maybe five or six metres below the surface, and sometimes as we had the fish out of the water but not swung on to the deck yet.... I must have lost twenty fish and some tackle, and also they often got tangled up in the line... so hauled alongside, squawking, flapping, biting, pecking, it was a real problem and a pain in the bum.
    the only solution was to haul up and motor off a couple of miles, and start again, but they'd soon cotton on and arrive.... Sometimes they'd come out of nowhere like Stukas, and other times they'd sit on the surface, with their heads underwater watching for you to reel in...
    We tried shouting waving thrashing the surface right by them but unless you actually clouted one they wouldn't budge.

Any ideas to solve this... it's never happened before and all things were pretty much the same as on our regular twice weekly trips....
    I thought of tying one to the boat.... we used to keep crows off the corn field by shooting them, but if you winged one and staked it to the ground on a length of rope it flapped about in distress, not surprisingly, and the others kept away..... these gannets are big b' stards though...
    If my eyes don't deceive me, there's something going on around here
  • P.I. Stazzer-Newt
    obnoxiously persistent.
    • Jan 2005

Re: Gannets

I knew a guy who trained as a lighthouse keeper on the Bass rock - he claims that they're edible.
    I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

Comment

• Clan Gordon
      • Feb 2005

google guga

Comment

• jonboy
        Senhor Member
        • Mar 2009

Excellent stuff....can't wait... the young ones were the biggest pain, or perhaps there were more of them....

Any recipes...?? the in-laws are coming for xmas... looks like sea turkey's on the menu.... tee hee.

Comment

• Tylerdurden
          Banned
          • Jul 2006

Just a thought, Farmers use propane powered sound cannons to keep birds off the crops

Beyond that a inflatable replica of a bird of prey tethered to fly above the boat?

Comment

• peter radclyffe
            • Apr 2009

in galway or connemara, to catch them they would tow a green plank behind a curragh, with a dead fish nailed to it
            i think you can picture the rest

Comment

• Figment
              Gluten Enthusiast
              • Dec 2001

Originally posted by jonboy
              Sometimes they'd come out of nowhere like Stukas, ..
              That is FUNNY stuff!
              People today will buy a car with square wheels as long as the steering wheel is heated.

Comment

• jonboy
                Senhor Member
                • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Tylerdurden
                Just a thought, Farmers use propane powered sound cannons to keep birds off the crops

Beyond that a inflatable replica of a bird of prey tethered to fly above the boat?
                Well the propane cannon 's not an option... if I go down that road it's out with the .410...
                and the real bird tethered to the boat is easier than an inflatable bird of prey...and supper too....

Comment

• jonboy
                  Senhor Member
                  • Mar 2009

Originally posted by peter radclyffe
                  in galway or connemara, to catch them they would tow a green plank behind a curragh, with a dead fish nailed to it
                  i think you can picture the rest

I'm trying,..... the green plank doesn't float, or only just, and they don't see it....? BAM! one broken necked gannet...

Though I'd rather dissuade them so I can carry on fishing, than take home twenty gannets... it's going to stretch the freezer situation a bit..

Comment

• peter radclyffe
                    • Apr 2009

yeah they gave up fishing & ate gannets

Comment

• rufustr
                      • Feb 2006

[quote=jonboy;2369203] Sometimes they'd come out of nowhere like Stukas.

May be more like gannets.

Comment

• Nicholas Carey
                        Flâneur • Seattle
                        • Feb 2001

I remember when I was about 12 or so...

I was out fishing by myself. Had a open-face spinning rod and was fishing with an itty-bitty Rapala minnow on it. Reeling it back in after a cast...

Bam!

A duck dive-bombed it out of nowhere and nailed it. Hooked itself through the beak. Wound uup reeling it in, wrassling on mad duck down so I could cut the barb off and get the lure out of its beak.

Very traumatic for a 12 year old
                        “The big joke on democracy is that it gives its mortal enemies the tools to its own destruction,” Goebbels said as the Nazis rose to power—one of those quotes that sound apocryphal but are not.​
                        — Adam Gopnik

Comment

• purri
                          • Sep 2009

^^ Same thing with a kookaburra many moons ago
                          Xanthorrea

Comment

• John of Phoenix
                            • Jun 2001

The swept wing supersonic Gannet...

And the somewhat less sleek "gear, flaps and eyeballs" configuration...

Comment

Working...