PDA

View Full Version : Halloween

ishmael
10-29-2009, 03:59 AM
It was always my favorite Holiday. The spirits coming in from the fields. I was in a neighborhood where there was no danger. Kids got costumed up and masqueraded from house to house with open bags and open hearts. It was before the poison apple.

BarnacleGrim
10-29-2009, 05:07 PM
It was before the poison apple.
I think you're confusing Snow White with real life. ;)

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/poison/halloween.asp

John Smith
10-29-2009, 06:34 PM
I think you're confusing Snow White with real life. ;)

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/poison/halloween.asp
This is another area where we are too easily scared. I'm surprised more people don't just stay in bed.

I only have one problem with Halloween. I really wish communities would set a time frame for trick or treating.

Every year we're not sure when to set up, or when to close up.

JimJ
10-29-2009, 06:57 PM
I remember on Halloween 1988 being invited to the cockpit of an AA DC10 between HNL and YYZ and was warned that I may be surprised as I entered the cockpit.
There was a plastic skeleton hanging from the cockpit ceiling. I believe it was the remains of a Check Pilot.

ishmael
10-29-2009, 06:57 PM
"I really wish communities would set a time frame for trick or treating."

I live on a country road, and have never had the little beggars. I always buy a bag of candy, and make sure my front porch light works. Ya never know. But not a one in five years.

Barnacle,

I was referring to something that's probably overblown, but maybe twenty five years back we started having reports here of razor blades and LSD and such in apples. It was likely largely a hoax, but every year now there are public service announcements warning people to go through their kid's treasures and toss anything not in a well sealed wrapper. Too bad, a couple of the neighbor ladies where I grew up made wicked good brownies and caramel apples.

People also put on the Ritz. In the couple of blocks I wandered there were haunted houses where neighbors must have spent hundreds of dollars in decorations and other spooky stuff. It was all great fun; a neighborhood party. Like so much from my childhood an innocent, fading, memory.