PDA

View Full Version : who has used a chronograph very much?

Phillip Allen
10-27-2009, 08:45 AM
I'm out of a mentor...(out lived him) and would like to hear if others have made any observations about their own experiences

Mrleft8
10-27-2009, 08:50 AM
I wear one every day.

Phillip Allen
10-27-2009, 08:57 AM
I wear one every day.

I think you have that confused with "monochromatic" :)

CharlieCobra
10-27-2009, 09:04 AM
Coronagraph as in measuring muzzle velocity? I haven't used one in years but used one quite often when I loaded a lot to determine the best load for application. Neat tools. Chronograph as in plotting time? Nope, never used wanna dem..

Phillip Allen
10-27-2009, 09:07 AM
muzzle velocity, yes.

Mrleft8
10-27-2009, 09:08 AM
A chronograph is a spring driven time piece....IE: a wrist watch or ships "clock".....Init? :confused:

Canoez
10-27-2009, 09:14 AM
Careful with a chronograph, Philip - be sure to create a "blast shield" to protect the front of the device from muzzle blast and let the projectile pass over the top sensor. It can ruin a chronograph in short order. DAMHIKT. :o

Phillip Allen
10-27-2009, 09:18 AM
Gun chronograph
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
For a timepiece with both timekeeping and stopwatch functions, see chronograph.
A gun chronograph is an instrument used to measure the velocity of a projectile fired by a gun.

[edit] History
Around 1800, the ballistic pendulum was used to measure the momentum of the projectile fired by a gun; dividing the momentum by the projectile mass gives the velocity.

An early chronograph that measures velocity directly was built in 1804 by Grobert, a colonel in the French Army. This used a rapidly rotating axle with two disks mounted on it about 13 feet apart. The bullet was fired parallel to the axle, and the angular displacement of the holes in the two disks, together with the rotational speed of the axle, yielded the bullet velocity.

[edit] Modern chronograph
The modern chronograph consists of two sensing areas called chronograph screens, which contain optical sensors that detect the passage of the bullet. The bullet is fired so it passes through both screens, and the time it takes the bullet to travel the distance between the screens is measured electronically.

CharlieCobra
10-27-2009, 10:04 AM
I used one for a few years for checking loads when I was into firearms. Fun devices. Carter's Country North of Houston had one. I didn't personally own one. We bench rested the firearm to be tested and used it on the 100 yard range. I dimly remember getting 3400 +- FPS out of a hot loaded 6mm Remington.

Phillip Allen
10-27-2009, 10:34 AM
I've wanted one for a long time...now they can be had for not much more than a C note

it has helped shorten the work on some of my loads...find out what velocity works best and it lets you avoid wasting time

for instance, I want accurate smokless loads for my 45-70. I know the black powder loads that work so I match velocity with the smokless and shorten the search